US police thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The few articles I've seen say things like "The officer has been suspended" and "A knife was found on the woman after she was shot". They haven't actually explained what happened in the video. If the officers had all missed the attack and the other woman had been fatally stabbed then I would expect news articles to blame the police for not stopping a black woman being fatally stabbed right in front of them.

Read better articles?

The BBC news article clearly says

A police officer in the US state of Ohio has shot dead a 16-year-old black girl while responding to an emergency call over an attempted stabbing.

The teenager involved in the incident, in the state capital Columbus, has been identified as Ma'Khia Bryant.

Columbus police have produced bodycam footage which appears to show the girl attacking others with a knife before being shot.

Soldato
Waiting on protests in Ohio now (another black death in the UK media)

Yet places like the BBC simply pick out one area to suit their "narrative" (beginning to hate that word) to appeal to the populist opinion at the moment:

Oh its just the weekly race baiting article from the BBC, its just to get clicks and site traffic, I dont bother reading those anymore.

Id rather wait a week and watch the badgecam on one of the youtube channels I follow, its more accurate infomation anyway.

Caporegime
OP
I'd usually be rather skeptical about people moaning about "MSM lies" etc.. but when it comes to race and especially when police killings are involved then it seems like a valid criticism.

No mention of a knife in this initial NPR tweet:

Fortunately, the bodycam footage is clearer - we don't need a Jacob Blake situation where the sex offender had turned up at his victim's house they did try to taser him twice (which didn't stop him) then shoot him just before he stole his victim's car (with their kids inside - the victim was his ex!). That prompted a load of "say his name/BLM" nonsense and various sports teams taking a knee for him.... a sex offender turning up at his victim's house with a knife! The coverage was so much that various people on social media seemed to think he'd been killed (he's very much alive and with a 7 figure payout thanks to gofundme + doesn't seem to have been charged over the incident either now).

Now we have this - she was apparently 15 last night and unarmed:

RSr63XH.png

But now she's a year older, built like a brick **** house (relative to the other girl) and in the process of trying to stab someone.... screw that, this isn't something that should be national news, this is pure race-baiting nonsense.

Now look at what the NYT does to Ben [race baiter] Crump's tweet:

2Izp9ww.jpg

CuBE3Xu.jpg

When they could actually report the cull context of the comments and then make the obvious correction. He's commenting on an apparently unarmed 15 year old and that isn't what happened.

It seems like, if you want more honest opinion pieces on this area you'd need to turn to smaller publications that value a bit more rigour and intellectual honesty over hype - this story by Coleman Hughes again seems relevant:

https://www.city-journal.org/reflections-on-race-riots-and-police

His conclusion is grim:
A third factor (not unique to America) is that we live in the smartphone age. Which means that there are millions of cameras at the ready to ensure that the next police shooting goes viral. Overall, this is a good thing. It means that cops can no longer reliably get away with lying about their misbehavior to escape punishment. (And that the claims of those accusing police in such situations will face objective video scrutiny.) But it also means that our news feeds are perpetually filled with outlier events presented to us as if they were the norm. In other words, we could cut the rate of deadly shootings by 99 percent, but if the remaining 1 percent are filmed, then the public perception will be that shootings have remained steady. And it is the public perception, more than the underlying reality, that provokes riots.

Combine all three of these observations and one arrives at a grim conclusion: as long as we have a non-zero rate of deadly shootings (a virtual certainty), and as long as some shootings are filmed and go viral (also a virtual certainty), then we may live in perpetual fear of urban unrest for the foreseeable future.

It is the media that controls a lot of that aspect, most of the general public is borderline innumerate when it comes to the stats - "all lives matter" types will point out that more white people are killed, "black lives matter" people will point out that black people are killed at a higher rate relative to the population.... in reality, what we should be more interested in is relative to police encounters, or perhaps more specifically (at least when it comes to shootings), police encounters involving violent suspects.

Soldato
Which is great. But I couldn't even see that article on the BBC News website at the time. It looks like it was added only two hours ago and updated one hour ago.
I'm sure it's been changed because when I first read it, it almost seemed to be skirting around important details.

Soldato
I hope they get more black police officers and then they can patrol the area.
Or just say, "Hey, do what you like, we're no longer covering these areas as it's clear they don't want policing anymore."

I know that's how I'd feel if I was a US cop right now. Sigh.

Caporegime
OP
This is interesting, body camera footage is shown here, she actually tried to stab two girls, one who got pushed to the ground and who another man (presumably her dad or he mum's boyfriend) kicks in the head and another who was just standing by a car holding a dog... all in front of the police. no self-defence aspect here by the 16 year old regardless of any claims that she called the police in the first place.

Also, the male immediately kicks off at the police when he hardly discouraged it and was involved in the attack himself, he could have held her back when she pulled a knife out, especially with police on the scene.

https://heavy.com/news/makhia-bryant-body-cam-video/

ghoWmHJ.png

qTbXXwq.png

QDaN0Ir.png

last one is just before the police shoot her, as she's about to stab the girl:

4LRuDTE.png

And the guy in the hoody, who just booted a girl in the head on camera, immediately starts gobbling off at the police like it is their fault.... I really hope he was arrested, he directly contributed to this.

Soldato
So a girl who was about to stab another girl was shot and killed?

Not quite sure what the officer should/could have done. But the 'bad' person paid the price, so to speak.. Of course I don't know what the girl in pink did to provoke the other girl, so not saying she's completely innocent either.

Soldato
Or just say, "Hey, do what you like, we're no longer covering these areas as it's clear they don't want policing anymore."

I know that's how I'd feel if I was a US cop right now. Sigh.

At least in Florida, the governor has brought in new laws to help the police and stop riots.

"grants civil legal immunity to people who drive through protesters blocking a road and allows authorities to hold arrested demonstrators from posting bail until after their first court date. "

"The bill allows people to sue local governments over personal or property damages if they were determined to have interfered with law enforcement response during civil unrest. It also increases penalties for protesters who block roadways or deface public monuments and creates a new crime, "mob intimidation."

" Striking a law enforcement officer (including with a projectile) during a violent or disorderly assembly = 6 months mandatory minimum jail sentence."

" 3rd degree felony when 7 or more persons are involved in an assembly and cause damage to property or injury to other persons."

And loads more.

Caporegime
OP

Not quite sure what the officer should/could have done. But the 'bad' person paid the price, so to speak.. Of course I don't know what the girl in pink did to provoke the other girl, so not saying she's completely innocent either.

Well at the time the officer arrived the girl in pink was stood by a car minding her own business when the girl with the knife came running down the drive, pushed over the first girl then lunged at the girl in pink with the knife.

Caporegime

According to social media they should have stopped her without shooting, or shot her in the leg. Unrealistic.

Imagine if the policeman had decided to try and stop her by grabbing her meanwhile the unarmed girl gets her throat slit. There'd be uproar because they didn't protect the unarmed girl.

I don't see they did anything wrong here.

Soldato
Hopefully I won't have to see stupid clips of the 'girl's' mother saying what a promising life she had, and how she was such a gentle kind person, and all that crap.

Just like the mother of that 13 year old kid the other day. If a 13 year old is up and about at 3am with a gun......well......need I say more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom