• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Not happy overclocked i9-11900K, Games, et, blue screen crashes!?

Associate
Just received my overclocked i9-11900K. and Asus Z590 MB. Even though I was aware of the bad reports about this CPU, I did not think it was as bad as expected. As soon as I started playing a graphics intensive game, the Corsair H100i fans were spinning so fast I thought the PC was about to take off like a 'Rocket'! And the heat that was being pushed out the Corsair case was so hot, it felt as if a fan heater was blowing hot air in my face! MS Flightsim 2020, Forza Horizon 4, and even Paint Shop Pro caused Win10 to crash with the 'blue screen of death' reporting a serious CPU device problem. Then re-starting Win10. Experimental 'Rockets' can sometimes 'blow-up', and I thought my PC was about to! Considering this CPU was mainly marketed and to be overclocked for gamers, I think this is a total Intel failure. Regret buying it! I have now reset the CPU clocking in the Bios to Auto, and all the games, sims and apps are now stable. And besides the RTX3090 should handle most of the graphics.

Associate
OP
Only recommend full water cooling for that, but then again I water cool everything.
You are so right, if I want to overclock this CPU, I need frosty cold water cooling. Although the Corsair H100i is water cooled, as it has a radiator, pipes et.? Clearly not cold enough for this white hot CPU! Can you recommend a model? Thanks

Soldato
The power consumption of this thing, especially when overclocked is just daft. Surprised there aren't efficiency regulations on CPUs like on lightbulbs and fridges.

Soldato
You are so right, if I want to overclock this CPU, I need frosty cold water cooling. Although the Corsair H100i is water cooled, as it has a radiator, pipes et.? Clearly not cold enough for this white hot CPU! Can you recommend a model? Thanks
Meant open loop, your own blocks/rads/res/pump etc. It is fun to put one together. In regards to AIO's, couldn't help ya. Swiftech do a nice one, but requires importing.

Associate
Just received my overclocked i9-11900K. and Asus Z590 MB. Even though I was aware of the bad reports about this CPU, I did not think it was as bad as expected. As soon as I started playing a graphics intensive game, the Corsair H100i fans were spinning so fast I thought the PC was about to take off like a 'Rocket'! And the heat that was being pushed out the Corsair case was so hot, it felt as if a fan heater was blowing hot air in my face! MS Flightsim 2020, Forza Horizon 4, and even Paint Shop Pro caused Win10 to crash with the 'blue screen of death' reporting a serious CPU device problem. Then re-starting Win10. Experimental 'Rockets' can sometimes 'blow-up', and I thought my PC was about to! Considering this CPU was mainly marketed and to be overclocked for gamers, I think this is a total Intel failure. Regret buying it! I have now reset the CPU clocking in the Bios to Auto, and all the games, sims and apps are now stable. And besides the RTX3090 should handle most of the graphics.

I'm really confused as to why no one has asked this question.

How are you overclocking ? What are your settings ? Voltage ? Temps ?

It's fairly obvious that the overclock is unstable. That's not a fault of the 11900k, you simply have an unstable overclock, so you need to stabilise it.

Soldato
Strange, I mean sure an overclocked 11900k can pul up to 400w in certain workloads, but for games it shouldn't exceed 200w - so if you're getting temps high enough to make your PC crash thats concerning

Soldato

It's fairly obvious that the overclock is unstable. That's not a fault of the 11900k, you simply have an unstable overclock, so you need to stabilise it.
Good point. As with comet lake, ramp up the multiplyer and keep volts on 'Auto' is a noo noo.

Associate

I second this question. Rocket Lake was not unstable in reviews and I wouldn’t expect it to be for retail consumers either.

Soldato
Sounds like he’s bought a pre built, pre overclocked set up to me?
If so it’s likely been put together or set up badly.

Regarding overclocking, I’ve just bought a 11700 (non k). The first non k cpu I’ve bought in years and years. After looking at tons of reviews I’ve decided there’s really v little point overclocking the latest cpus anymore. I’d rather save a bit of cash and have a cooler quieter system. Same logic I use with my 3090, which I undervolt now.

Soldato

What BIOS? There were several early beta versions that should be avoided.

My 11900k runs cooler than my 6700k ever did, in gaming/light desktop app use, and that's on air (granted, my NH-D15S is better than most 280mm AIO's).

Associate
Sounds like he’s bought a pre built, pre overclocked set up to me?
If so it’s likely been put together or set up badly.
From posts elsewhere it seems the OP has purchased a CPU and MB bundle. I'm not sure if it's pre-overclocked or OP is overclocking.

As mentioned it could be over aggressive overclocking.

OP, what case and fans have you got? Also are the AIO fans set as intake?

Back
Top Bottom