**** Apple Event "Spring loaded" - 20th April 2021 @ 18:00 UK time ****

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The iMac has always been a ‘laptop’ in a screen, the mini has always been a ‘laptop’ without a screen in that they both ran the laptop tuned processors.

You’ll not see ‘desktop’ class chips like intel/AMD have desktop chips because these ARM CPUs don’t need to be tuned down for power consumption like X86 chips do to fit in laptops.

The chip is the chip if that makes sense.

Wasnt the imac always a AIO desktop though? If you look at previous imacs they are all running desktop class processors

Associate
I'm not familiar with the application but as far as I understand it, the Apple Silicone version is only in beta at present?

Yep, but we picked it partly because it was one of the apps that Apple were shouting about. Indeed, in last night's presentation, it was name checked as something that the M1 can use.

Wasnt the imac always a AIO desktop though? If you look at previous imacs they are all running desktop class processors

Yeah, agreed. The iMac isn't really a laptop in a screen - with a full fat i9, 16gb graphics card, 10gbe...

Soldato
Not immediately, but surely by now? The original M1 products were released half a year ago, bit odd waiting this long to just release more M1 products.. I think it might have just been me who was expecting to see a M1X imac then haha

I think Apple are just not bothering with more A14-based CPUs and their bigger mac chips will be A15-based, branded as M2, M2X, etc...

The iMac has always been a ‘laptop’ in a screen, the mini has always been a ‘laptop’ without a screen in that they both ran the laptop tuned processors.

You’ll not see ‘desktop’ class chips like intel/AMD have desktop chips because these ARM CPUs don’t need to be tuned down for power consumption like X86 chips do to fit in laptops.

The chip is the chip if that makes sense.

Yeah, I think in most generations, the smaller iMac has always used laptop CPUs. There has been a couple of exceptions though.

Not always, the smaller iMacs used both laptop and desktop CPUs depending on generation.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Yeah, agreed. The iMac isn't really a laptop in a screen - with a full fat i9, 16gb graphics card, 10gbe...

yeah thats what i thought. If its a desktop class product, it should have its own desktop class processor, not the same one thats being used in their entry level macbooks and ipads.

At the desktop level, you dont really want to have the same limitations you do as when you use a laptop (16gb max ram, less IO etc)

Soldato
Not a problem for the ipad, in fact its great. Its just kind of less reason to go for a macbook air when they are so similar at this point. I mean unless you specifically need apps on macOS, ipad pro seems a better shout in most ways

The MacBook air is £999. An iPad pro with same memory and a smart keyboard case is over £1400. I think a 40% difference in price is quite a reason.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I think Apple are just not bothering with more A14-based CPUs and their bigger mac chips will be A15-based, branded as M2, M2X, etc...

Not always, the smaller iMacs used both laptop and desktop CPUs depending on generation.

Makes sense for sure, but does that now mean that iphones and the base ipads will be the only ones that use A series of processors then? Or maybe iphones will be A14, and the base ipads will be A14x with everything else moving to the M class of chips.

Oh and I never realised that there were some imacs that ran with laptop cpu's! News to me

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The MacBook air is £999. An iPad pro with same memory and a smart keyboard case is over £1400. I think a 40% difference in price is quite a reason.

When you think about it, its actually pretty crazy that the ipad costs most than the MBA now haha!

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Really does make me wonder what chip the Mac pro is gonna use though... Im thinking it'll be some sort of dual socket M1X where its 2 M1X's running at once

Soldato
Makes sense for sure, but does that now mean that iphones and the base ipads will be the only ones that use A series of processors then? Or maybe iphones will be A14, and the base ipads will be A14x with everything else moving to the M class of chips.

I think so, iPhones and non-pro iPads will use A-series chips, and there will just be one A-series chip (M1 is basically what A14X would have been, with minor differences). If a device justifies a stronger chip they will just use the M-series chip for it.

Man of Honour
Really does make me wonder what chip the Mac pro is gonna use though... Im thinking it'll be some sort of dual socket M1X where its 2 M1X's running at once
I highly doubt it's going to be dual socket because that loses all of the benefits of having a SOC.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I highly doubt it's going to be dual socket because that loses all of the benefits of having a SOC.

Im sure apple can find a way to make it work if they were to do so.. But yeah it is unlikely.

Soldato
An ‘socketed’ (where you can swap the CPU) Mac Pro with Apple silicone is wishful thinking. Calling it now, what ever they put in will be soldered to the board.

The arm chips will work in the trash can design now. I bet that thought sends a shudder down peoples spines!

Soldato
In pure spec it's probably a little behind the current Pro but considerably cheaper. Much of the differences are subjective. The Pro has the 120hz Pro-motion display and FaceID whereas the Air has standard 60hz and TouchID. In my opinion the 60hz on iOS is perfectly fine and I don't miss the pro-motion from the Pro. On the iPad I also prefer TouchID over FaceID as it's much easier to unlock. Unlike your iPhone the iPad isn't always in front of your face. When it's resting on your lap or even using it flat on a desk the FaceID is pretty much useless.
The Air is also just a straight up newer device so may receive updates a little further into the future but I think the difference is negligible.
Ok thanks, as you can tell I buy Apple products once a decade :)

Associate
I would love one of those iMacs as a personal home computer, hell, if get them for the office as well... just have to justify it when I have a perfectly amazing M1 MBP already!

Also, even if the iPad could run a desktop OS, I’m not sure how the new ones feel in terms of typing experience compared to a laptop.

how is the hinge/keyboard feel with the new iPad and keyboard attachment?

Back
Top Bottom