First Custom Loop with a 3080FE

Associate
OP
If I were you and I wanted RGB Fans, I'd probably stick with Corsair ML Pros or maybe HDs.

What I've done is just got some "Arctic P12 PWM PST CO" fans. This guy reviews a different variant of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwftVMGPOiI, they're excellent when it comes to price / performance ratio. I don't have RGB on my fans.

You could always slap some Phanteks Halo's on whatever fan you choose though!

The Corsair fans are nice and quiet with good RGB but the air pressure is quite low at 1.27mm H2O.

I have 3 Arctic P12's for my 360mm radiator, and I might look at the halos for them for the front of the case, good idea ;)

Associate
OP
Well I decided to buy the Alpenfohn Wing Boost 3 140mm Addressable RGB PWM Fans as I could`nt find anything else that was as quiet or as high static pressure, well according the specs anyway. These should arrive this week so I`ll report back and post up the difference between these and the Fractal Design Prisma case fans in terms of noise.

I`m also hoping my second rad turns up this week too.

Associate
OP
Just a quick question, now my 240mm radiator as turned up I was looking at the front mounting, is it detrimental to the cooling if it is sat in the middle of 3 140mm fans as opposed to fully over 2 fans?

Associate
OP
I`ve sorted out my pipe routing from the pump to the water block and the water block to the radiator and measured up for the radiator to the CPU mono block.

VdJPfig.jpg

I made a schoolboy error with the 180 degree bend though as I need nearly all of the 500mm to achieve this pipe and the end had a slight flat where my thumb was so I`ll have to make this one again.

PR3Izse.jpg

Associate
OP
Right, I finally managed to get a 3080 Founders Edition from last Thursdays drop :D

I am now in a position to get this build completed so I need to flush the radiators a couple of times first, I presume that the water blocks don`t need flushing and I`ll just flush the tubing.

Next up once I have got everything built will be filling the system with distilled water and running for 24 hours for leak testing just using the two jumper leads with nothing else connected, do I need to use any biocide for this? Have I missed anything out?

Presuming there aren`t any leaks I will flush a couple of times and then refill with the EK Cryofuel and then that should be that. easy when you say it fast :cry:

Please fire away if you think I`ve missed anything at all no matter how small as this is my first ever custom loop.

TIA

Soldato
Connect everything up. Seal all unused inlet/outlets except one. On the remaining open port, connect a fitting and some tubing (preferably soft tubing). Try blowing into it. If you can blow easily, you have an open port somewhere. Believe me this happens often. Find it and close it. If it's really hard, blow harder. If it's still really hard, fill with distilled water. don't worry about biocide at this point.

Before filling, put lots of paper towels under every fitting and under the pump.

To fill, use a spare psu if you have one. So long as you can connect the pump to it, any PSU will do. Bridge the green and any black cable on the 24-pin connector. I always use a separate PSU well outside the case away from any potential drips.

If you run the loop for a couple of hours, and no leaks, just drain and refill with the Cryofuel. Don't overthink this.

Associate
OP
Connect everything up. Seal all unused inlet/outlets except one. On the remaining open port, connect a fitting and some tubing (preferably soft tubing). Try blowing into it. If you can blow easily, you have an open port somewhere. Believe me this happens often. Find it and close it. If it's really hard, blow harder. If it's still really hard, fill with distilled water. don't worry about biocide at this point.

Before filling, put lots of paper towels under every fitting and under the pump.

To fill, use a spare psu if you have one. So long as you can connect the pump to it, any PSU will do. Bridge the green and any black cable on the 24-pin connector. I always use a separate PSU well outside the case away from any potential drips.

If you run the loop for a couple of hours, and no leaks, just drain and refill with the Cryofuel. Don't overthink this.

Cheers Mike, I`d already accounted for the paper towels and I`ll be keeping a careful eye on the fittings while filling, I don`t have a spare PSU so I`ll just pull it outside the case, I have my custom cables to connect so it will be getting stripped right back anyway.
I have a fitting and soft tubing for my drain port so I can use that.

What radiator did you go for? According to the EKWB configurator this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...7qUMo_PdajFvxLBb3xplHjJjaazQbHL-24zUG-ZKyaC2O

should be sufficient for my 3080 FE and 5600x

I have a Black Ice Nemesis GTS360 for the top of the case and a GTX240 for the front

Associate
Right, I finally managed to get a 3080 Founders Edition from last Thursdays drop :D

I am now in a position to get this build completed so I need to flush the radiators a couple of times first, I presume that the water blocks don`t need flushing and I`ll just flush the tubing.

Next up once I have got everything built will be filling the system with distilled water and running for 24 hours for leak testing just using the two jumper leads with nothing else connected, do I need to use any biocide for this? Have I missed anything out?

Presuming there aren`t any leaks I will flush a couple of times and then refill with the EK Cryofuel and then that should be that. easy when you say it fast :cry:

Please fire away if you think I`ve missed anything at all no matter how small as this is my first ever custom loop.

TIA

I'd give the gpu block a good clean. Mine had some particles and what looked like fingerprint smudges that were not noticeable until I plugged in the rgb. The smudges then showed as slightly florescent.

It's the first time I've had to clean out a block that is new. However, I will now do it every time going forwards. After waiting so long for the block, it was pita to finally finish the build only to have blemishes in the block that could've been avoided by a quick clean before hand.

Associate
OP
I'd give the gpu block a good clean. Mine had some particles and what looked like fingerprint smudges that were not noticeable until I plugged in the rgb. The smudges then showed as slightly florescent.

It's the first time I've had to clean out a block that is new. However, I will now do it every time going forwards. After waiting so long for the block, it was pita to finally finish the build only to have blemishes in the block that could've been avoided by a quick clean before hand.

Do you mean you had fingerprints on the inside of the acrylic?

Associate
Do you mean you had fingerprints on the inside of the acrylic?

Thinking about it, it was probably not from fingers. It had what looked like smudges on the acrylic. Maybe just a thin layer of dust particles that once the water had mixed in, gave off a glow. At first glance looks like smudge marks under a black light.
Looked pristine out the box, so it surprised me.

Associate
OP
At the moment I am waiting for a couple of extra fittings and a temperature sensor (should have been here by now but something has put delivery back until 10th May) as I had overlooked this, the only other thing I need to get now is some thermal paste, I`m considering Thermal Grizzly Conductanaut. Good Idea or not for waterblocks?
I have used it for my AIO so I am aware of the dangers but not many people seem to use it with water blocks, is there any reason behind this other than the difficulty of use?

Associate
I have a 3080 Reference PCB in an AlphaCool waterblock. I used the thermal paste they supply, which I would guess is pretty basic stuff. I am running at perfectly good temperatures. I think you will be VERY good with Kryonaut, and your radiator setup seems more than adequate as well. You should be good.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the FE waterblock you have, and your setup in general. Very well done Sir!

Associate
OP
I have a 3080 Reference PCB in an AlphaCool waterblock. I used the thermal paste they supply, which I would guess is pretty basic stuff. I am running at perfectly good temperatures. I think you will be VERY good with Kryonaut, and your radiator setup seems more than adequate as well. You should be good.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the FE waterblock you have, and your setup in general. Very well done Sir!
Thank you very much Hewligan, hopefully with the rest of the bits coming on Monday I can start getting it all connected up, probably strip down the GPU on Sunday.

Associate
OP
Tonight I ran the heaven benchmark for 30 minutes and then separated the PCB which was really easy while it's still warm. I started cutting the thermal pads (Gelid extreme) and then I noticed at the top of the card there should be three chips but I only have one compared to the 308fe tear down video in the 3080 series water blocks thread posted by haszek.

VV53xkL

Have they changed the PCB recently?
What about the thermal pads here as there seems to be a few pads to place but only one thing to put them on.

Associate
I think you are talking about the memory chips? There should be 10 of them in total (10GB). The PCB images I have seen have 1 memory chip above the GPU.

Google images is your friend. Search for 2021 3080 FE PCB and compare yours. I think your card is normal. If you are struggling, find a manual for install on another water block company’s website for the FE and read their thermal pad install instructions. Sure, their blocks will be different but it should confirm thermal pad install. Alphacool tend to have very clear visual guides, for example.

Just take your time and be chill. I have taken mine apart, split the water block into its parts to clean, accidentally leaked on the PCB (and very carefully air dried it all for plenty of time), and it all works perfectly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom