Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Associate
As other comments have said, Thread support bodes well for HomeKit.

I am sure that Apple will go hard into HomeKit, AR and Health in the near to medium future. What we have at the moment is just a taster.

Associate
What’s this thread support for home kit you speak of?

Thread is essentially better networking for smart devices. It allows them all to communicate together and set up a distributed network of sorts within your home, improving connectivity and responsiveness.

The HomePod Mini and now the ATV are Thread enabled. Certain third party lights are as well (I think there are some demonstration videos somewhere showing lights connected via regular wifi/BT vs Thread and the latter are far more responsive).

Hopefully, everything and everything ends up with thread!

Soldato
One thing that annoyed me with my AppleTV is that the Netflix app always seem pretty far behind in terms of features vs other platforms. My LG C8 has a better version of Netflix and so does my Chromecast Google TV.

Yes I notice this, the internal app on my LG has things like a new and upcoming section where you can set reminders which automatically add to your list when released.
It’s been like this for ages yet the Netflix app on Apple TV seems to be stuck in the dark ages.

Soldato
Yeah current 4K box is more than capable other than games I see no benefit of the new one. New remote does look a big improvement but I use my tv remote which works great.

Associate
I'm still having sync issues on ATV4k if I enable Match Frame Rate. But even with it off the Amazon video app goes out of sync.

"In addition, tvOS 14.5 brings support for both integer and fractional frame rate, i.e. 24.000 and 23.976fps." - will this fix sync issues in tvos 14.5?

Man of Honour
Whats the advatage of having an Apple TV since most of us have smart TV's now days?
Apps on TVs are generally slow, both using and updating/installing. There's more you can do on an Apple TV too, such as share photos etc. Plus if you have an iPhone, being able to use your iPhone to type in text such as usernames and passwords is a godsend.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Apps on TVs are generally slow, both using and updating/installing

The exception being Netflix for some reason, it's way behind the app on my LG TV.

Sure the core functionality is there, but the improvements to the layout when navigating are really nice in the current version on the LG.

Associate
Apps on TVs are generally slow, both using and updating/installing. There's more you can do on an Apple TV too, such as share photos etc. Plus if you have an iPhone, being able to use your iPhone to type in text such as usernames and passwords is a godsend.

I have the ATV4k but I am not an iPhone user. However, I am really pleased with it other than the sync issues. If they were fixed and I could use Match Frame Rate it would be my perfect player.

Associate
I'm still having sync issues on ATV4k if I enable Match Frame Rate. But even with it off the Amazon video app goes out of sync.

"In addition, tvOS 14.5 brings support for both integer and fractional frame rate, i.e. 24.000 and 23.976fps." - will this fix sync issues in tvos 14.5?

I honestly think it’s the Amazon app.

I was going mad watching Seinfeld, but every other app on there never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom