Am I the only one getting more Knackered as I get older?

Caporegime
Seriously, I used to stay up to 4 when I was younger, but nowadays even weekends I'm getting knackered by 11. Hopefully I'm not at the stage of falling asleep on the couch in the middle of the day :cry:

Hmm even the thread title seems off, right I should go to bed :D

Man of Honour
No, it's normal. And it gets worse and worse until you die. Aging is horrible, a slow degradation into death. Less energy, less ability and constant pain.

You can slow it down with healthy diet and exercise, but only slow it down.

Man of Honour
If you want an example of how far lifestyle can offset aging if you're really doing it right and you're lucky, Ernestine Shepherd comes to mind as an extreme example. She's 84. She's a bodybuilder and endurance runner. She runs 10 miles a day except on the days she's running a marathon. She's not huge (by choice), but she's pretty big and strongly muscled. She works as a coach in a gym. People in their 40s and 50s might be wondering if they've left it too late. Probably not after they find out their trainer, who seriously looks the part, is in her 80s and didn't start until she was 56.

Here's a snippet of her at 81. The only place her age shows is in her skin.

Or Sam Bryant Jr, who is big. He's "only" 70 in this video, though. He started when he was 44. Not even deliberately to begin with. His marriage had gone bad and the gym was his excuse to get out the house and to work out his stress. He liked it. A lot.

Of course you need to be lucky as well. No arthritis, etc. But it does show how much it's possible to slow aging down if you really go for it and that it isn't necessary to start when you're young. 41 is not too late.

Soldato
I'm older than my profile age, live on my own and crash out at 9,30 pm on a work night but up at 5.15 am, much earlier than I need to be.
Don't feel unhealthily tired on a night, tv bores me so read the kindle and that just zaps me.
Don't have any aging negatives, fitter than I was at 21 and still same waist, vegan and active lifestyle, don't do a gym but have a 16kg kettle bell to keep up the muscle mass (and bone density? )
Have a tendency towards too much alcohol sometimes though

Soldato
I'm 43 next month. I've had or try to have naps in the day loads of times. Doesn't help having kids late as one is 5 and the other turns 1 day after me. Bed by 10 and up at 5.30am

I try to cycle or do something every day but sometimes it's just not possible. I love a good nap though.

Tea Drinker
Don
No I'm fitter, stronger and have more energy than in my thirties. That said there's nothing better than an early night.

Measuring your energy just because you can't stay up till 4am seems a bit odd, maybe it's just maturing and finding the best parts of the day are 5am?

Soldato
I find myself nodding off by 9pm and struggle to stay up beyond 10pm now. I am doing a lot more exercise these days so hopefully that's part of the reason!

Soldato
I'm the same age as you OP and if I don't go to sleep (not bed, sleep) around 10:00 - 10:30 and get a full 8 hours I feel rough. On week nights it feels like I have precious little time to do anything as bed is looming.

Caporegime
I semi-regularly fall asleep in front of the TV from 10 p.m onwards but often I've done 20,000 steps per day on numerous dog walks and according to my Samsung smart watch I dont get much 'deep sleep'.

38 years old

Soldato
I'm 40 and not knackered. I'm asleep by 11 every day though.

I go climbing 2-3 times a week, and rugby training a couple times. As others have said, being active is absolutely essential to enjoying your later years...it's very easy to get into a spiral of I'll health, happens to too many people.

Getting a good 8 hour sleep every night is probably the easiest thing you can do to improve your overall health. Nowt wrong with sleeping by 11!

Associate
Im 35 and tend to be in bed anywhere between 9 and 10 pm. Mainly because my youngest (1) gets up around 0530 - 0600 every morning religiously.

Generally I'm pretty active and like to stay fit and healthy but I'm currently suffering from a flare up of an old back injury which is causing all kinds of havoc with my usual fitness activities.

Caporegime
We had this discussion at work recently and I was shocked that most of the people were in bed by 10pm, some by 9pm including those in their 20s and 30s.

My problem is i dont even get in from work until 8pm most days and then have tea to cook and eat and then I actually may want to do something in the evening before bed.

But I agree with the OP, i cant stay up even when out like I could when I was young.

In my early 20s i used to go clubbing from Tuesday night onwards and get in between 2am and 3am and then up at 7am for work every day and it wasnt a problem.

Back
Top Bottom