Nice Cafes in Bristol for Lunch

Capodecina
Soldato
Is Bristol the new Brighton? I had a gf who lived there back in the late 90's. Didn't like the place much then, sounds like it's worse now. Clifton is nice, of course.

Soldato
What's wrong with Bristol?

Clifton is nice to walk around but a bit stuffy. Rented there for 4 years and the buildings are all nice (loved the high ceilings we had) but other than a nice chip shop and a good ice cream parlour I don't think it's all it's made up to be.

Being in delivery range of Ahmed's Masala Cafe was a bonus though

Man of Honour
Is Bristol the new Brighton? I had a gf who lived there back in the late 90's. Didn't like the place much then, sounds like it's worse now. Clifton is nice, of course.
There’s much fewer high rise flats than Brighton. I would say they are quite different aesthetically and culturally. There is more traditional culture and styles interspersed with the new in Bristol, I think.

What's wrong with Bristol?

Clifton is nice to walk around but a bit stuffy. Rented there for 4 years and the buildings are all nice (loved the high ceilings we had) but other than a nice chip shop and a good ice cream parlour I don't think it's all it's made up to be.

Being in delivery range of Ahmed's Masala Cafe was a bonus though
I wouldn’t want to live in Clifton now (too chock full of students / millionaires so it’s a little alienating) but for people visiting the city, it’s probably one of the nicer areas to go, particularly with the suspension bridge.

I’ve recently moved to the Henleaze / Westbury on Trym / Horfield area, which I’ve now decided is the bestest - far more spacious and still close to town :)

Capodecina
Soldato
There’s much fewer high rise flats than Brighton. I would say they are quite different aesthetically and culturally. There is more traditional culture and styles interspersed with the new in Bristol, I think.

I only mention it since Bristol seems to be going a bit woke, but that's hardly surprising, it's a university city and students tend to be more left than right. Brighton is a lost cause though. If I had a choice of somewhere to live out of the two, it would definitely be Bristol.

Man of Honour
I only mention it since Bristol seems to be going a bit woke, but that's hardly surprising, it's a university city and students tend to be more left than right. Brighton is a lost cause though. If I had a choice of somewhere to live out of the two, it would definitely be Bristol.
It’s always been a bit on the ‘vegan’ side but I’ve never thought of it as being ‘woke’ (although that’s a new-ish phrase). It does obviously have a history heavily involved with the slave trade, so of all places it’s not surprising that there has been some news concerning statues etc.

Soldato

I wouldn’t want to live in Clifton now (too chock full of students / millionaires so it’s a little alienating) but for people visiting the city, it’s probably one of the nicer areas to go, particularly with the suspension bridge.

I’ve recently moved to the Henleaze / Westbury on Trym / Horfield area, which I’ve now decided is the bestest - far more spacious and still close to town :)

It was great for the time I was living there as at that point in my life I still enjoyed going out for a casual drink and the triangle was about 5 minute walk from mine to The Brass Pig and more importantly Yo-Yo burger!. But now I don't want to be that close to town and as you say there are a lot of students in the area so it's quite noisy.

Grew up in Fishponds/Mangotsfield, when I moved out I went to Clifton, then Totterdown now I'm back in Fishponds we're pretty happy as it's right on Snuff Mills so it's quiet and we can walk the dog easily - We've got old. :p

Soldato
The city has a tradition of local activism. It hasn't become "woke", it is left leaning and so tends to field a fair number of protests. I wouldn't say that has much to do with the students, just happens to have lots of people who believe in a fairer society. During the 2016 and 2019 elections the 4 boroughs were entirely Labour.

As for recommendations - St Nicks market at lunchtime has LOADS of options, is covered and the food is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom