Am I the only one getting more Knackered as I get older?

Caporegime
11 is fine t 30, its the ones at work who say they are in bed by 10 at the latest, one of them who is 32 says she is in bed by 9pm.

depends when they get up.

my schedule has been out of whack the last months but i normally go to bed 9:30 and get up at 5:30. 8 hours of sleep is highly recommended to avoid an early grave.

Soldato
I've honestly been exhausted my whole life. I don't ever really remember a time when I didn't feel exhausted.

I actually have slightly more energy in my old age (36).

Normally get 6-7 hours sleep a night.

I can't really handle drinking now though let alone all nighters. :p

Caporegime
Sounds like a waste of life to me. I just don't care for sleeping myself, could be doing other stuff.

There's a small percentage of people with a gene that allows them to function normally on like 5 hours of sleep. Without that though, I don't know how people get through their days on 5-6 hours, their jobs must involve very little concentration or thought.

Soldato
A lot will be to do with your diet. There's no obvious answer as to what tires you out but you can try a few things and see what works for you... It takes weeks/months to really see the changes but if you're lucky enough to find the right foods, sleep schedules etc you'll feel great.

Capodecina
Soldato
I don't think I'm more tired, but more impatient. I'm 41 and I still stay up till 3am/4am every weekend. I tend to average about 7 hours sleep a night.

Man of Honour
No, it's normal. And it gets worse and worse until you die. Aging is horrible, a slow degradation into death. Less energy, less ability and constant pain.

You can slow it down with healthy diet and exercise, but only slow it down.
Mr Happy has entered the room :D

Sadly he's right though :(

Soldato
40 in two weeks, work at a computer all day and game most evenings, no matter how much sleep I get a sleep hangover in the morning and I feel terrible for the first hour of every day. My average is 7 hours.

I go for a run every couple of days but I'm rubbish and can only manage a couple of miles which is punishment for abusing my lungs in my teens and 20s. On the days I don't go for a run I go for a walk to make sure I leave the house and get some exercise. I used to go to the gym at least three times a week but don't bother anymore, I hated it and forced myself to go. I used to have issues with sleep and not being able to or just having really bad quality sleep but what solved that for me was no caffeine after 2pm, regular bedtimes in bed before 11pm, no gaming after 9:30pm and watch TV instead until bedtime. I still have the odd night where my brain is active and I cant sleep but I'm an overthinker and its part and parcel of being me.

On top of that my wrist is knackered from using a mouse since I was 13, my back is knackered from bad posture and I get severe neck pain a few times a year.

I feel ok after I've woken up and majority of the day I have energy and start to feel tired again at around 7pm but two very young kids only take a couple of hours to wear me out.

Caporegime
meh...the amount of time you’ve been awake will probably add up to about the same tho?

Not even close. 1 extra hour of sleep a night is only 365 hours a year, about 15 days.

Anyway, it depends on quality of life, not just quantity..

Soldato
Ever thought these are correlated?

Yes and funnily enough I actually feel I have more energy on less sleep. I used to make sure I got AT LEAST 8 hours a night. After having kids that became less likely and I also decided I wanted to do other things rather than sleep and ever since then I've had more energy. Still less than most other people but more than I had.

If I have less than 6 hours though I'm a Zombie the next day.

Soldato
Exercise, take Vitamin D, maintain a healthy bodyweight i.e. don't be fat, only drink alcohol 1 night a week, drink water throughout the day, see if you're still tired. If you are see a Doctor and get your Testosterone levels checked. I hate running so I don't do that, I lift weights, find exercise you enjoy.

Man of Honour
I'm 63 next month and I take 11 pills in a morning and 2 at night.
I have to walk with at least one walking stick but this afternoon I'll be in a wheelchair when I go out.
All of my main problems have been caused with long distance running including my out of control diabetes.
Hopefully later this year I will eventually have my full knee replacement which has been delayed 5 years and cancelled 3 times so hopefully will be able to walk again.
I also refuse to go to bed until at least 11pm even though I want to go earlier.

Soldato
52, usually in bed by ten and up at 6, except for my Friday gaming night when I'll do 2-2.30. I feel tired about 5ish in the afternoon usually but I put that down to the stressful nature of the advertising world sapping my energy. I'm 70kg and 5'10", still go to the gym and generally walk everywhere I can. I drink 3 times a week but only 3 x 330 IPAs.

Having an 8 year old son keeps me on my toes.

Back
Top Bottom