What's the worst thing you've ever had in your mouth?

Soldato
I'm not sure. On the one hand, it seems to be mainly a thing with packaged ration products, which is a more recent thing. On the other hand, Roman soldiers had hard tack, which served the same purpose before more modern preservation techniques and which is notoriously unappetising. Later soldiers had their own unflattering names for hard tack, so it seems likely to me that Roman soldiers did.

So, did the Romans invent the well know game Tractuosus Buccellatum?

Associate
A wasp when I was about 13, eating a "Roy of the Rovers" bar from the ice cream van in the school playground (it was the early 90s).

Sneaky little tike must have sensed the sugary goodness and landed on the bar.

Luckily I felt the thing buzzing away and managed to spit it out before the inevitable sting.

Associate
When I put it on my food I always squirt a bit in my mouth to the disgust of my wife.

Vinegar - love it, chips aren't any good without a decent soaking.

Used to work in Oldham and regularly passed the Sarsons factory in Chadderton, stinks to high heaven sometimes while they ferment the stuff for about a half mile radius.

Associate
All these people saying some common and innocuous food stuff, how lucky for them

Dog faeces. My mother thought it would be the height of humour to take the bagged dog turd she just scooped up and slap me round the face with it. The bag tore, the rest you can only imagine

Vegemite is crimes against humanity in a jar.
First few times you have it, sure.
Then the curious urge to eat more of the foul paste washes over you, then next thing you know you love the stuff

It never stops smelling of sweaty nutsacks though

Soldato
Pus from an infected toe.
Many years ago shortly after I had qualified as a podiatrist I was treating an elderly man for a painful and obviously infected toe, As I was debriding the hard skin and scab from the end of his toe the trapped pus was released under enormous pressure, it covered my forehead, nose and some entered my mouth, the taste actually defies description.
The old chap was so upset that after I had washed my face about 5 times and rinsed my mouth equally he insisted on giving me some excellent malt whisky, the first mouthful he said I should rinse and spit out but the subsequent three mouthfuls I swallowed, it did the trick.

Are you The Toe Bro?

Sickenly addicted to watching this videos :D

Man of Honour
Vinegar - love it, chips aren't any good without a decent soaking.

Used to work in Oldham and regularly passed the Sarsons factory in Chadderton, stinks to high heaven sometimes while they ferment the stuff for about a half mile radius.

Sarsons had a factory in Tower Bridge Road, near Tanner Street, long since gone, but the smell lingered from Tooley Street to Riley Road, in fact it seems strange to cross Tower Bridge Road at Druid Street now, and not smell vinegar.

Man of Honour
So, did the Romans invent the well know game Tractuosus Buccellatum?

That one went over my head until I looked up 'tractuosus'. I didn't know what it meant and I wasn't getting the meaning from the roots. Good pun on the need to soak hard tack to make it at all edible.

I've no idea why the soggy biscuit sex thing is a thing or if it's anything more than a modern urban myth.

Associate
Another wasp eater here. Was having a can of lemonade or something in the park as a little kid. I was casually chomping on it while puzzled, before letting my mum know there was something chewy in the drink, who told me to spit it out quick. IIRC it didn't actually taste of anything as my chewing failed to get to the gooey insides or dismember it. Tough little beastie.

Back
Top Bottom