Am I the only one getting more Knackered as I get older?

Soldato
40 in two weeks, work at a computer all day and game most evenings, no matter how much sleep I get a sleep hangover in the morning and I feel terrible for the first hour of every day. My average is 7 hours.

I go for a run every couple of days but I'm rubbish and can only manage a couple of miles which is punishment for abusing my lungs in my teens and 20s. On the days I don't go for a run I go for a walk to make sure I leave the house and get some exercise. I used to go to the gym at least three times a week but don't bother anymore, I hated it and forced myself to go. I used to have issues with sleep and not being able to or just having really bad quality sleep but what solved that for me was no caffeine after 2pm, regular bedtimes in bed before 11pm, no gaming after 9:30pm and watch TV instead until bedtime. I still have the odd night where my brain is active and I cant sleep but I'm an overthinker and its part and parcel of being me.

On top of that my wrist is knackered from using a mouse since I was 13, my back is knackered from bad posture and I get severe neck pain a few times a year.

I feel ok after I've woken up and majority of the day I have energy and start to feel tired again at around 7pm but two very young kids only take a couple of hours to wear me out.

Similar to me though I think I "wrecked" my body in my 20s, so dumb and I wish I'd been more aware and sensible. Now I struggle with sleep and if I get little sleep one night I can wake up with a tension headache and feel like death until the bodies natural painkillers kick in.

I completely exhausted my body in my 20s to the point of breakdown, I'm still recovering 15 years later. In hindsight just very simple routines and discipline could have prevented it all.

I've always struggled to live a "normal life" as I'm just too hyperactive in my mind.

Soldato
At around 33 my jumping height got worse.
At around 40 my sprint speed started dropping fast.
Around 43 I lost my bang start when sprinting.
In my late 40s I started getting niggly little injuries.
At 50, i've noticed my balance isn't as good as it used to be.

Sleeping and tiredness isn't a problem, even at 50. 6 hours sleep is enough. I've always found under 5 hours sleep is not enough.

At least it's all downhill from here, which is less effort.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I'm the same age as you OP and if I don't go to sleep (not bed, sleep) around 10:00 - 10:30 and get a full 8 hours I feel rough. On week nights it feels like I have precious little time to do anything as bed is looming.

Plus the cold weather isn't helping, I think that's making a huge difference! Especially in this part of kent, endless cold winds since last year

Soldato
Ive started going back to the office 2 days and some times 3 days a week. I sleep much better after i’ve been in the office as i walk to the station and more walking to from the other end to get to the office. I do go for a walk when working from home but i guess im not wearing myself out enough.

Although the first day when i went back i barely slept the night before(shock to the system going back after 4 months maybe?) the morning was ok but after lunch was a biiig struggle do not reccomend.

Soldato
I went to the gym four times a week when I hit 40 and ate a very strict diet. I'd never been so fit. Looked great.

That was two years ago. Shoulder injury took me out for a couple of months then we hit Christmas.... And then lockdown.

My fitness has really suffered. Sitting on my backside working from home, raiding the fridge..... It's not good.

Did ten push ups two weeks ago and my chest and shoulders really hurt. I've pulled something.

It's amazing how quickly things can change.

Soldato
This has made me wonder, how to wheelchair bound people wear themselves out in order to sleep well? I know myself when i don’t get out and exercise i can get irritable and that often leads to poor sleep.

Associate
So today we went up the Rig with the two dogs. Better part of an hour. Then I went to the local shop, another 45 minutes. Then an hour to mow the garden. Then another walk with just my dog this afternoon with the camera. Then a spell weeding stuff.
Then I sat in the garden with a cold beer, the lazy git that I am. But, at 75, I think I can get by with that slovenly behaviour.

Permabanned
I'm 33 smoke drinks super largers everyday and do drugs. I've started feeling old this year because during intercourse I got properly out of breath and had to take a moment. Think it's the weight gain from drink as I only started at Christmas

Caporegime
I'm 33 smoke drinks super largers everyday and do drugs. I've started feeling old this year because during intercourse I got properly out of breath and had to take a moment. Think it's the weight gain from drink as I only started at Christmas
Just LOL if you're not drinking super largers and doing drugs while having intercourse and also getting fat and getting out of breath, properly, but only because Santa said it was true.

Namaste.

Permabanned
Just LOL if you're not drinking super largers and doing drugs while having intercourse and also getting fat and getting out of breath, properly, but only because Santa said it was true.

Namaste.

What? Lol since Christmas I've probably had 6 -12 special brews. Lynx. Skolls a day average is probably 8. And £200 of other stuff at least and I've gotten a bit of a belly. Just doing the deed and was literally out of breath to the point I had to take a breather. Just never expected it.

Caporegime
What? Lol since Christmas I've probably had 6 -12 special brews. Lynx. Skolls a day average is probably 8. And £200 of other stuff at least and I've gotten a bit of a belly. Just doing the deed and was literally out of breath to the point I had to take a breather. Just never expected it.
Were you doing super largers, special brews, and Lynx?

Soldato
almost 44

When I am starting work at 5.30am i always go to bed by 10pm, on my day off i'll stay up till 11.30pm, i'm always away by about 6/6.30am though whether i'm working or not. I can't do naps in the afternoon, it just feels 'wrong'! :D

Back
Top Bottom