*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Now you learn the truth!! The real expense of VR, the one nobody talks about. having to build a house with a proper size VR room :p

But, yeah, OUCH!!

Gorilla tag... I've not played for some time due to even less space than normal. Here's hoping I get a half decent play space at some point in the future.

Soldato
Yeah i never realised how bad a break would be especially in your hand!!! Dear lord it was tearful lol, trip to A&E said i should be right as rain in a month or 2. Just gotta becareful from now on!!!

The Original Oculus Touch Controllers were built from the strongest material in the universe!! Their shape offered protection to your hands when punching things. Basically, if you punched anything accidentally, it broke. We didn't have to be careful for ourselves or the touch controllers. We had to be careful for everything in the house, like Lights, mirrors, Tv's, Walls etc :)

So we learned pretty quickly how to stick within the boundaries even during the most frenzied gaming moments.

It might be worth getting a mat for the floor a little smaller than your play area, that way when you step off the mat you know you are getting too close to the edges for comfort.

Soldato
As my PC VR setup is in my attic, I've trained myself to stand still while gaming, and I also avoid turning due to cable tangles (Index cables are almost impossible to get hold of). In fact on Index I don't use a guardian boundary at all.

For Quest the new stationary boundary works great, but for roomscale I have the difficulty that I've trained myself not to move or turn too much, so I have to unlearn that for the Quest.

Soldato
The Original Oculus Touch Controllers were built from the strongest material in the universe!! Their shape offered protection to your hands when punching things. Basically, if you punched anything accidentally, it broke. We didn't have to be careful for ourselves or the touch controllers. We had to be careful for everything in the house, like Lights, mirrors, Tv's, Walls etc :)

So we learned pretty quickly how to stick within the boundaries even during the most frenzied gaming moments.

It might be worth getting a mat for the floor a little smaller than your play area, that way when you step off the mat you know you are getting too close to the edges for comfort.

Definitely need to learn to stay within the bounds, i find myself walking out of it slightly enough to not give me full reach and hence what happened last night. Will have a look at mats on the rain forest to help with this.

Btw! I started to notice abit of stuttering in games, will lowering bitrate help with this? Thought i'd ask before i start messing with settings again. I currently have it set to 115mbs.

Could have been worse, could have been the controller. Fingers are free and grow back, controllers not so much.
Indeed, though it was painful im glad im not forking out for a controller... lol

Associate
Manually flashed v28 to the headset, while airline hasn't been turned on yet the clarity update and 120hz is night and day difference. Can't wait to try the airlink

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Manually flashed v28 to the headset, while airline hasn't been turned on yet the clarity update and 120hz is night and day difference. Can't wait to try the airlink
over on the OculusQuest reddit there are many workarounds to get Airlink working ive got it working with the bat file one and the new apk one

first impressions visually its a lot clearer than VD but lags and stutters more

but it is experimental so hopefully improves or i just need to tweak my router settings more i have an AX82U and i live alone and play 2m away from it so not sure whats up

Associate
over on the OculusQuest reddit there are many workarounds to get Airlink working ive got it working with the bat file one and the new apk one

first impressions visually its a lot clearer than VD but lags and stutters more

but it is experimental so hopefully improves or i just need to tweak my router settings more i have an AX82U and i live alone and play 2m away from it so not sure whats up
Have you tried the beta vs, seems to be able to push higher fps with lower latency, is now buttery smooth on 120hz setting although I'm only getting around 100 most of the time and a latency of about 35 - even more visually stunning in half life Alyx

Last edited:
Associate
How do any of you guys using VD and a 2/3000 series Nvidia card find the experience nowadays.
I have an i5 8400 with 16gb Ddr4 ram and a 3070 card. It’s soon to be upgraded to i7 8700k and 32gb ram (good eBay deals).
I’m currently on the latest nvidia driver with resizeable bar enabled.
On VD with the high setting on 80hz setting it’s ok but I get FPS drops and stutters. My router is in the same room and I get a maximum of 150mbps on the bit rate slider - I usually have it set to 100 and have latency of 35ms. HEVC and h264 perform similar.
I’ve tried every nvidia driver that the 3070 can have and all have similar FPS drops and stutters. I still get same stutters if I set VD to medium.

Just wondered what experiences you other fellow users are getting.

The frustrating thing is that I sold my Vega 64 to my mate and he now gets similar if not sometimes better performance than my 3070 in VR

Last edited:
Soldato
How do any of you guys using VD and a 2/3000 series Nvidia card find the experience nowadays.
I have an i5 8400 with 16gb Ddr4 ram and a 3070 card. It’s soon to be upgraded to i7 8700k and 32gb ram (good eBay deals).
I’m currently on the latest nvidia driver with resizeable bar enabled.
On VD with the high setting on 80hz setting it’s ok but I get FPS drops and stutters. My router is in the same room and I get a maximum of 150mbps on the bit rate slider - I usually have it set to 100 and have latency of 35ms. HEVC and h264 perform similar.
I’ve tried every nvidia driver that the 3070 can have and all have similar FPS drops and stutters. I still get same stutters if I set VD to medium.

Just wondered what experiences you other fellow users are getting.

The frustrating thing is that I sold my Vega 64 to my mate and he now gets similar if not sometimes better performance than my 3070

Is this just in Steam Games or does it happen in games from the Oculus Store too?

Associate
Is this just in Steam Games or does it happen in games from the Oculus Store too?
Hi Melmac and thanks for your reply. It happens in both to be honest. Running games from the ‘games’ tab in VD runs a little better when using oculus sdk but still plagued with FPS drops and stutters.

Soldato
Hi Melmac and thanks for your reply. It happens in both to be honest. Running games from the ‘games’ tab in VD runs a little better when using oculus sdk but still plagued with FPS drops and stutters.

There could be several reasons for this.

Check what Firmware your headset is on. V27 is plagued with issues.

If it's just happening in the last few weeks it might be a problem with a Windows Update, these two updates are causing problems at the moment. KB5001330 and KB5001337.

Nvidia drivers. There is an ongoing issue with Nvidia drivers and Steam VR, causing stutters and lag in games if you are using any kind hardware monitoring software. The solution is to turn off all hardware monitoring before playing VR.

Can I ask you what's the exact make and model of your Router and is it dedicated for the Quest 2?

Back
Top Bottom