Am I the only one getting more Knackered as I get older?

Soldato
I can barely make it past midnight now at 40yo. I'd consider myself reasonably fit (regularly cycle 300 miles a week plus some rock climbing) but I think it's just an inevitable part of ageing.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
50 now and nothing better than a nap in the afternoon, but the I swim 3-4hrs, cycle 6-12 hrs and run 4-8, oh and work 40+ hrs.

If it's a long run on the Saturday morning I normally have Hrs kip in the afternoon then go swimming as a pick me up ready for a nice bike ride on the Sunday.

Usually in bed by 10.30-11ish and up at 6.

You just to put more effort into exercise and rest more :)

Permabanned
I'm idly curious about how big the 'super larger' size is and what the whole of the scale is. small, medium, large, larger, super larger, mega larger, hyper larger?
500 ml 7%. That's lynx anyway. Some others are a bit stronger. I think this is the weakest but it's what I'm drinking now.

I thought it was a common name for strong lagers. Supers. Maybe it's a regional one

Caporegime
34, in bed by half 9 most nights. Probably the most energetic I've been. Camping, hiking biking, running. Feel full of energy. Yeah I sleep earlier, think that's more wisdom than energy levels though.

Soldato
I'm 44 but my head says I'm 25.. My body disagrees. I'm usually nodding off by 11pm so don't have many late nights, but I have gradually started getting up earlier and earlier like an old person. At this rate I'll be going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 4am!

Man of Honour
500 ml 7%. That's lynx anyway. Some others are a bit stronger. I think this is the weakest but it's what I'm drinking now.

I thought it was a common name for strong lagers. Supers. Maybe it's a regional one

What was stated was "super larger", not "super lager". So I ran with that.

I vaguely remember a high alcohol beer called Tennant's Super. Maybe that's the origin of the nomenclature. Which is probably national. The high alcohol beer I remember best from when I was young and foolish was called "Spar Loony Juice" by all of us. I have no idea what its official name was. Probably some own brand product sold in Spar shops. I never drank it. Not because I had more sense back then but because I didn't like any beer back then.

I do like beer now and I've tried a fair few. I've tried some high alcohol beers and didn't like any of them. The taste is wrong to me - too alcoholic for beer. The most alcoholic beer I like is Old Peculier (5.6%) and that's an anomaly because the strong flavour of the beer itself allows for a higher alcohol content without the alcohol overpowering the beer. One can is enough for me. I drink beer for enjoyment, not to get drunk as efficiently as possible. High alcohol cheap lager does not appeal to me. When I was foolish enough to be wanting to get drunk as efficiently as possible, I used some vile concoction called Tiger Milk. It made Thunderbirds seem a refined beverage. But it offered the most alcohol per £ in the nearest off licence.

Dying of alcohol is a very bad way to die slowly and painfully. You'd do well to rein your alcohol intake in. I'm not talking about death from acute alcohol poisoning, although that can happen. I'm talking about the accumulated damage done by repeated alcohol use. By the time the obvious symptoms show, it's too late. By that stage you're already dying and it'll be a long hard death. Alcohol is not a safe drug.

Permabanned
What was stated was "super larger", not "super lager". So I ran with that.

I vaguely remember a high alcohol beer called Tennant's Super. Maybe that's the origin of the nomenclature. Which is probably national. The high alcohol beer I remember best from when I was young and foolish was called "Spar Loony Juice" by all of us. I have no idea what its official name was. Probably some own brand product sold in Spar shops. I never drank it. Not because I had more sense back then but because I didn't like any beer back then.

I do like beer now and I've tried a fair few. I've tried some high alcohol beers and didn't like any of them. The taste is wrong to me - too alcoholic for beer. The most alcoholic beer I like is Old Peculier (5.6%) and that's an anomaly because the strong flavour of the beer itself allows for a higher alcohol content without the alcohol overpowering the beer. One can is enough for me. I drink beer for enjoyment, not to get drunk as efficiently as possible. High alcohol cheap lager does not appeal to me. When I was foolish enough to be wanting to get drunk as efficiently as possible, I used some vile concoction called Tiger Milk. It made Thunderbirds seem a refined beverage. But it offered the most alcohol per £ in the nearest off licence.

Dying of alcohol is a very bad way to die slowly and painfully. You'd do well to rein your alcohol intake in. I'm not talking about death from acute alcohol poisoning, although that can happen. I'm talking about the accumulated damage done by repeated alcohol use. By the time the obvious symptoms show, it's too late. By that stage you're already dying and it'll be a long hard death. Alcohol is not a safe drug.

Yeah Tennants is a super. I only started daily drinKing at Christmas. But your right I should get it in check but my life got derailed at 25. Started smoking. Drugs. Didn't drink at all but I've made up for that now.

One of my parents was an alcoholic after they lost a baby so I've seen the effects of it. They did get clean but it was a fair bit of work. Talking about why. Etc and then having to take tramadol and have a monitored detox.

Soldato
I'm 44 but my head says I'm 25.. My body disagrees. I'm usually nodding off by 11pm so don't have many late nights, but I have gradually started getting up earlier and earlier like an old person. At this rate I'll be going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 4am!

Snap :D I'm 44 too.

But I have to say I have a quick nap in the late afternoon 30-45mins. And I can't fall asleep before 2 am.

But there one thing that most people completely ignore or don't know about and that when you're getting older you need to up your protein levels. I haven't had protein shakes for a couple of years and lately, in the last 6 months I've noticed I have a lot of niggling aches and pains and generally feeling my mobility level dropping. This week I started having 30-40g extra protein a day through a shake in the afternoon and after 2-3 days all those aches and pains have almost completely gone and my energy levels have improved a fair amount.

Soldato
I recently lost some weight and have restored my energy levels, probably more active now than I have been in 15 years (I'm 45 btw).
Two stone down, another two to go.

Quality of sleep is insane now and I am a CPAP user since 30, I'd never have thought my weight would impact it so much. What a plonker I am.

Soldato
I recently lost some weight and have restored my energy levels

Same here, at 45 I lost 6½ stone and became very active. Energy levels are much better. I have quite a structured routine, asleep by 10:30/10:45 (I tend to fall asleep almost instantly) but I almost always wake 2 or 3 times during the night (for a pee and a snack :) ) and wake around 6am, even on days off.

Back
Top Bottom