Cleaning walls

Permabanned
Normally I just use sugar soap but don't have. Just spot cleaning at the moment but they do need a proper clean.

Not sure what they were painted with but just warm water seems to be washing the paint off. Any ideas or advice

Associate
If the paint is coming off with just warm water, then there's probably not much else that will clean without any paint coming off.

Are you just using the soft side of a sponge? Normally that with some mild soapy water is fine for most dirt.

Permabanned
OP
It's just a microfibre cloth. Walls aren't heavily soils but a bit of nicotine yellowing. It's a flat so no idea of history. But at my parents I just sugar soaped and painted and then very mildly cleaned themy 3 or 4 years later and they still look fresh.

Just baffled that the paint seems to be coming off. Probably just painted it with out prepping ithe I guess

Associate
Agree with a magic sponge or magic eraser. Google either of these phrases and it will show in Amazon or eBay etc. They are not always sold in supermarkets (well I can never find them!)

Home Bargains stock them I think. It will remove marks such as scuffs etc. Also great for getting rid of tea/coffee stains from mugs (if you don't have a dishwasher). Very handy to have some as they work really well cleaning marks from stuff.

If you use a damp microfibre, lights and sunlight will show where you have scrubbed - it will look horrible in a certain light. Had this issue myself so had to redo the whole wall.

Permabanned
Normally I just use sugar soap but don't have. Just spot cleaning at the moment but they do need a proper clean.

Not sure what they were painted with but just warm water seems to be washing the paint off. Any ideas or advice

If the paint is coming off then I would class it as a dodgy surface and stabilise it instead of cleaning it, then just paint over it.

Back
Top Bottom