Race report: 'UK not deliberately rigged against ethnic minorities'

Associate
Do you know how rare that is? In 25 years in the IT industry, having interviewed at dozens of places from large multinational organizations to dinky indie creative studios, I can only count twice where I was interviewed by more than one person at the same time.

Not that rare to be honest, I can't remember the last time I was interviewed by just 1 person.

Certainly within my current place the interview panel tends to be 3 people, usually from different demographics too if possible but not always practical depending on scheduling.

Soldato
The report was found NOT to have any negative effect towards minority backgrounds. Why are you so angry?.
If I have interpreted your post correctly thats still not what the report said.

It said racism does have a negative effect, its just that if they (Im assumming he means young black boys) had faith or followed religion and a father at home they wouldnt be held back in life as much.

Caporegime
Because honestly, how is that supposed to root out racist employers? They'd just be turned off as soon as the applicant turns up on the door step? So in the end they'll be no difference

Can you define "racist employer" and how you "root them out"? it's possible to not be racist and still have a 100% white workforce you know? in fact it's highly likely in a 85%-90% white country.

Is it 50% BAME employees you need as a requirement to not be a "racist employer"? what if you only employ BAME people but treat them like dirt because you're you know, a massive racist? is it just being seen to meet the quota that matters?

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem you guys are talking about is due to employment law.

The best way to find a good employee is to hire someone, see if they are good, and if not, sack them.

In reality though people are just useless but they are not sacked.

Some people just make better impressions, experience and qualifications can be misleading.

Common sense and a worth ethic almost always trumps everything else.

Those with experience will know the person they believed to be the best candidate turned out to be useless, however a lot of them would not know the people they thought might not be as good, are actually better.

Associate
Can you define "racist employer" and how you "root them out"? it's possible to not be racist and still have a 100% white workforce you know? in fact it's highly likely in a 85%-90% white country.

Is it 50% BAME employees you need as a requirement to not be a "racist employer"? what if you only employ BAME people but treat them like dirt because you're you know, a massive racist? is it just being seen to meet the quota that matters?

When I had my first job a long time ago at Asda, it was probably over 50% BAME employees in the store where I worked. I still had to deal with one manager purposefully mispronouncing my name just because it amused him, and another constantly bugging me with rubbish questions about my country of ethnic origin and constant what people call today 'cultural appropriation'. He even constantly made a scene when other ethnic co workers correctly pronounced my name with 'WHY ARE YOU PRONOUNCING IT LIKE THAT WHEN IT HAS THESE LETTERS IN IT? ITS MEANT TO BE PRONOUNCED ....'. No actually, they were in fact pronouncing it correctly, and in general 99% of people with English accents cannot.

With it being my first job and not having a clue, I didn't do anything about it and let it keep on happening. If stuff like that happened anymore to me today, straight to the employment tribunal it goes for big compensation.

Anytime I have to tell people my first name on the phone it goes to the phonetic alphabet 100% of the time. Yes I should change my name to Bob, I have no idea what my parents were thinking when they named me.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I had my first job a long time ago at Asda, it was probably over 50% BAME employees in the store where I worked. I still had to deal with one manager purposefully mispronouncing my name just because it amused him, and another constantly bugging me with rubbish questions about my country of ethnic origin and constant what people call today 'cultural appropriation'. He even constantly made a scene when other ethnic co workers correctly pronounced my name with 'WHY ARE YOU PRONOUNCING IT LIKE THAT WHEN IT HAS THESE LETTERS IN IT? ITS MEANT TO BE PRONOUNCED ....'. No actually, they were in fact pronouncing it correctly, and in general 99% of people with English accents cannot.

With it being my first job and not having a clue, I didn't do anything about it and let it keep on happening. If stuff like that happened anymore to me today, straight to the employment tribunal it goes for big compensation.

Anytime I have to tell people my first name on the phone it goes to the phonetic alphabet 100% of the time. Yes I should change my name to Bob, I have no idea what my parents were thinking when they named me.

It is still one manager in one store being an idiot. It is not systemic racism. There are probably many other such idiots, it is still not systemic racism, just a prevalence of fools in the workplace. As you say report them eventually companies take notice of the poor behaviour and the bad press from appearing in tribunals and take action.

Associate
It is still one manager in one store being an idiot. It is not systemic racism. There are probably many other such idiots, it is still not systemic racism, just a prevalence of fools in the workplace. As you say report them eventually companies take notice of the poor behaviour and the bad press from appearing in tribunals and take action.

It was 2 different managers, and I wouldn't call that systemic racism either. I should have reported it but I didn't know any better back then.

Man of Honour
The problem you guys are talking about is due to employment law.

The best way to find a good employee is to hire someone, see if they are good, and if not, sack them.

In reality though people are just useless but they are not sacked.

Some people just make better impressions, experience and qualifications can be misleading.

Common sense and a worth ethic almost always trumps everything else.

Those with experience will know the person they believed to be the best candidate turned out to be useless, however a lot of them would not know the people they thought might not be as good, are actually better.

Aren't you describing a probation period?

And I would've thought it wouldn't be hard to sack someone who's useless, especially if you've given them ample time and support to improve.

Caporegime

You realise that everybody has to deal with co-workers they don't like, literally every day...

What you're describing as "racism" sufficient to "go to tribunal for big compensation" is just run-of-the-mill low-grade annoyance. White people have to deal with such things on a daily basis too. Except instead of "why aren't they pronouncing my name properly" it'll be something like "why do they take the pee out of my hair style," taste in make-up, clothes, music, whatever.

You have tho, unfortunately, successfully been conditioned to see all these things through a prism of "systemic racism" and such. So now every low-grade annoyance perpetrated upon you by a manager you don't like - well, that's racist, isn't it?

Successful race-baiting industry is successful. The fact that apparently minor things like you are describing might get you "big compensation" is a measure of how terrified employers have become of any kind of accusation being made against them, and the follow-up Twitter storm.

Associate
You realise that everybody has to deal with co-workers they don't like, literally every day...

What you're describing as "racism" sufficient to "go to tribunal for big compensation" is just run-of-the-mill low-grade annoyance. White people have to deal with such things on a daily basis too. Except instead of "why aren't they pronouncing my name properly" it'll be something like "why do they take the pee out of my hair style," taste in make-up, clothes, music, whatever.

You have tho, unfortunately, successfully been conditioned to see all these things through a prism of "systemic racism" and such. So now every low-grade annoyance perpetrated upon you by a manager you don't like - well, that's racist, isn't it?

Successful race-baiting industry is successful. The fact that apparently minor things like you are describing might get you "big compensation" is a measure of how terrified employers have become of any kind of accusation being made against them, and the follow-up Twitter storm.

And this right here is a perfect example of 'gaslighting'.

'hair style," taste in make-up, clothes, music,'

Three of those things can be covered by uniform and dress regulations. The last is simply a discussion of hobbies. None of those are comparable to taking the **** out of people for having a non christio-centric name within a workplace.

Sure I've seen names of co workers which literally make me die of laughter inside, but I manage to keep it professional and not target them for harassment over it.

Caporegime
And this right here is a perfect example of 'gaslighting'.

'hair style," taste in make-up, clothes, music,'

Three of those things can be covered by uniform and dress regulations. The last is simply a discussion of hobbies. None of those are comparable to taking the **** out of people for having a non christio-centric name within a workplace.

Sure I've seen names of co workers which literally make me die of laughter inside, but I manage to keep it professional and not target them for harassment over it.
White people with unusual names have the pee taken out of them.

White people with usual names can have the pee taken out of them. (Richard -> "Dick", etc, etc).

People have the pee taken out of them all the time, white, black or other. It's low-grade annoyance.

Children are particularly merciless in latching on to anything to take the mick. It can be literally anything that the other chap reacts to. Once you've got a reaction, once you know what button to press, it's game time. People take the pee out of each other. Daily. For any reason.

You can deal with it however you like, but this isn't something black (etc) people alone have to deal with. Meanwhile, white people apparently sail through life without ever having the mick taken out of them. Including for their name, appearance, height, weight, etc.

Caporegime
OK, thought experiment time.

If you (as a non-white) took the pee out of a white colleague for their unusual name, would it be a) you being a massive racist or b) you being a ****.

Clearly the other way around you are saying it's racism. So if you take the pee out of a white chap's name, you're a racist? I'd say you might be being a ****, but being racist is not proven by that. (Might because you could be friends and it could be a joke).

Associate
White people with unusual names have the pee taken out of them.

White people with usual names can have the pee taken out of them. (Richard -> "Dick", etc, etc).

People have the pee taken out of them all the time, white, black or other. It's low-grade annoyance.

Children are particularly merciless in latching on to anything to take the mick. It can be literally anything that the other chap reacts to. Once you've got a reaction, once you know what button to press, it's game time. People take the pee out of each other. Daily. For any reason.

You can deal with it however you like, but this isn't something black (etc) people alone have to deal with. Meanwhile, white people apparently sail through life without ever having the mick taken out of them. Including for their name, appearance, height, weight, etc.

Everyday and schoolground behaviour =/= behaviour while in employment.

OK, thought experiment time.

If you (as a non-white) took the pee out of a white colleague for their unusual name, would it be a) you being a massive racist or b) you being a ****.

Clearly the other way around you are saying it's racism. So if you take the pee out of a white chap's name, you're a racist? I'd say you might be being a ****, but being racist is not proven by that. (Might because you could be friends and it could be a joke).

How about the fact that I wouldn't ever do that?

I also never called it 'racism', I called it 'name discrimination'.

I suppose this is your idea of perfectly fine behaviour in a workplace:

Caporegime
Everyday and schoolground behaviour =/= behaviour while in employment.

How about the fact that I wouldn't ever do that?

I also never called it 'racism', I called it 'name discrimination'.
But your name isn't a protected characteristic, so to get "big compensation" from a tribunal, you'd have to say it was racism.

e: I didn't say it was "perfectly fine", I said it was low-grade annoyance and not proof of racism.

Associate
Good luck, since all the evidence you presented was an unspecified claim of "cultural appropriation" and mis-pronouncing your name.

I mean, those are terrible injuries and all, I'm sure a tribunal would award you thousands.

Why would I post all the evidence or the full situation on an online forum? I gave examples of name discrimination to highlight that it happens.

I guess you're the type of the person that simply enjoys being the perpetrator of such things and are simply mad if you wouldn't be allowed to continue getting away with it.

Caporegime
...No actually, they were in fact pronouncing it correctly, and in general 99% of people with English accents cannot.
Also about this.

Part of your claim is that mis-pronouncing your name was purposefully done to wind you up, but then you say 99% of English people "can't" pronounce it correctly anyhow...

Presumably that's because they're too dumb to get it right?

But, given that, how can you bring a claim of harassment when by your own words these dumb English people "can't" pronounce your name right anyhow?

I guess you're the type of the person that simply enjoys being the perpetrator of such things and are simply mad if you wouldn't be allowed to continue getting away with it.
I guess you're the type who thinks only whites/English can be racist, that they only harass non-whites, and it's become some kind of national pastime. This is a fun game :p

Back
Top Bottom