Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
Finally got out on my R850R tonight.
Utterly freezing but enjoyed it.

Been in hospital with an infected bowel, not having a great time of things.
Ack sorry to hear but glad you got a ride in! How is the 850? Nice and rocky rocky? I've got the 1250gs and it's lost a lot of the rockiness even compared to the older 1200 variant in the R Nine T.

Soldato
Ack sorry to hear but glad you got a ride in! How is the 850? Nice and rocky rocky? I've got the 1250gs and it's lost a lot of the rockiness even compared to the older 1200 variant in the R Nine T.

Hi yes, similar to the R9T - but more practical,got luggage and underseat storage. (Posted a pic on show your bikes).
I love the R9T it’s a thing of beauty, but sadly a little small for me.
The 850 is sweet as a nut, much smoother than my R1150GS.
How are you liking the R1250GS?
- I need to pay username Kate a visit at my local BMW dealer when lockdown is finally relaxed.

The 40th ed GS, black and yellow would look rather nice next to my black R1150GS.
I’m dreaming though, not got that sort of cash.

Last edited:
Associate
Aha! @SkodaMart!

I like the 1250gs for sure. Covering long distances I find it less tiring than the K1300S I had before. I also end up riding slower, which is maybe a good thing! But. I do miss the 1.3 online four engine sound and experience. And also for a few reasons I don't commute anymore, so long distance comfort isn't being used much.

Having seen that Aprilia are insisting the Tuono 1100 is now a sports tourer I'm definitely tempted to try one out. But I dunno, the GS comfort is nice.

I like the R Nine T too, but I reckon two bikes with the same (ish) engine is a bit too narrow brain thinking.

Soldato
Had a great day at Mallory today. Was freezing in the morning, hail seemed to scare off a load of people at lunchtime so the afternoon sessions there was barely anyone on the track which was great for me, only done one other trackday about 4 years ago. Feel like I could have done with a better handling bike, or i just need some track lessons. Saw 2 seperate non-serious offs right in front of me, lucky to be alive! :D

Associate
Anyone have any insights into a Multistrada? Currently thinking to grab a used 1260 S as a “do it all” bike for fun/touring/taking the wife to the pub

They are expensive so open to alternatives but not the XR (too ugly) and not a GS (not quite there yet mentally)

Soldato
Anyone have any insights into a Multistrada? Currently thinking to grab a used 1260 S as a “do it all” bike for fun/touring/taking the wife to the pub

They are expensive so open to alternatives but not the XR (too ugly) and not a GS (not quite there yet mentally)

Can't offer any insight but would be interested to hear others opinions too. I've been eying up a Multistrada for over a year now after considering most of the other alternatives (XR, GS, 1190 adventure, 1290 adventure, superduke GT, Caponord, Turismo Veloce, V strom....you get the picture) but always land back on the Multistrada.
Can't decided between the DVT S, Enduro or an older twin spark.
The Enduro would be the preferred choice for it's electronics package, tank range, spoked wheels and looks but its a big bike and at the very top of my budget.
I actually like the looks of the twin spark best (2010-2014) but they are getting a bit long in the tooth now and finding a really nice condition one is getting harder.

S version is the best all round road bike and will do every thing you mention. Only real thing putting me off is the servicing costs. From what I've read an average Desmo service at a dealer will set you back over a grand!

I could probably do a desmo service on a twin spark myself but no way I'd touch the DVT engine beyond oil, filters and plugs.

Associate
Can't offer any insight but would be interested to hear others opinions too. I've been eying up a Multistrada for over a year now after considering most of the other alternatives (XR, GS, 1190 adventure, 1290 adventure, superduke GT, Caponord, Turismo Veloce, V strom....you get the picture) but always land back on the Multistrada.
Can't decided between the DVT S, Enduro or an older twin spark.
The Enduro would be the preferred choice for it's electronics package, tank range, spoked wheels and looks but its a big bike and at the very top of my budget.
I actually like the looks of the twin spark best (2010-2014) but they are getting a bit long in the tooth now and finding a really nice condition one is getting harder.

S version is the best all round road bike and will do every thing you mention. Only real thing putting me off is the servicing costs. From what I've read an average Desmo service at a dealer will set you back over a grand!

I could probably do a desmo service on a twin spark myself but no way I'd touch the DVT engine beyond oil, filters and plugs.

The one I’m looking at just had its first Desmo service, I just cringe at the thought of spending £12k on a bike, let alone a used one.

Then I look at a GS and realise it’s not too bad, they seem to hold their value quite well and I can always finance it :rolleyes:

Got myself booked in for a free taster session with an IAM observer next week, should be interesting.

Interested to hear how you get on. I signed up just before we went into lockdown - managed one guided ride and while I found it restrictive in some areas, I definitely got some good pointers. Looking forward to getting my next ride in soon (once I get a bike again etc etc)

Associate

Had my 1200S DVT for just over two years, although havent ridden for a year for obvious reasons. Used to favour tourers (Guzzis), dabbled for a while in adventure bikes (Caponord), but they all struggle when you want to throw them around a bit - the weight, big wheels and tall suspension really don't lend themselves to quick changes in direction. The Multi is the first sports-tourer I've ridden that handles both very well - long-distance journeys are comfortable and is great fun on the back roads. XR is the closest alternative but I couldn't abide the buzzy vibration (been there before with a K100). Only had a couple of niggles which aren't particularly difficult to sort, the fuel level sensor gave up (£80 to replace during service), and the standard seat is too hard (a competent upholsterer can sort that). There's a risk of big bills, particularly for electronics or suspension issues, but neither are common if looked after properly.

Yeah, servicing. £1.5k for the Desmo service (plus the sensor change, loan bike etc.), definitely worth finding an indy for the intermediate services. That being said, balanced against all the bits I had to refurbish or replace on the Capo due to poor build quality the overall running costs are closer than they may look at first glance. May be a bit unfair given the age difference but the Multi feels much better built, so I'm less worried about it falling apart when it hits 10 years or so.

Can't say I rate the 1260 over the 1200 unless you find a really good deal, I don't think much changed aside from a few tweaks to the engine to sort out the 'hole' in the power band which I barely notice. I rate the new V4 even less from what I've seen so far, I can't help but think they've missed the mark by trying to make it more off-road focused and compromising its road handling.

Man of Honour
Yay, just passed my motorcycle theory test after multiple postponements since October. So I will be booking my DAS training as soon as possible (which I guess will still be months away).

Soldato
Thanks again. It's a small step but one in the right direction.

I didn’t enjoy learning to drive a car, however I did enjoy learning to ride a bike.
It’s not been easy for me, my grandfather was killed on one so it’s utterly taboo in my family.
The ‘guilt’ has been one of the hardest things - constantly waiting for ‘I told you so’
Despite all this, I’ve loved every minute of it.

Back
Top Bottom