Poll: what method do you use for unlocking your phone and are you concerned about the use of biometrics?

Phone Unlocking - how do you do yours?

• PIN

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • Password

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Fingerprint

Votes: 105 75.5%
  • Face recognition

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Pattern

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
Capodecina
Soldato
What do you use to unlock your phone?

PIN
Pattern
Password
Fingerprint
Face recognition
Other

I've used PIN up till now but I'm now thinking of fingerprint unlock because of ease of use, though I'm concerned about my biometric data going to Google. Yes, Google say that doesn't happen, but they would say that. That said, your fingerprints are all over your screen anyway, they could always create a script in the OS which sends that data to them if they wanted.

What do other people use here and are you concerned about the use of your biometric data?

Soldato
I use a PIN. The problem with biometrics like fingerprints and face recognition is that you're stuffed if your biometrics change. Swollen face? Face recognition may no longer work. Hand in plaster? Fingerprint recognition no longer works. Just back from a tooth extraction? Voice recognition may no longer work. And then there's the problem of copied biometrics: remember how people were able to bypass facial recognition with photographs? I expect they can use deepfaked images now.

ALD

ALD

Associate
I use a PIN. The problem with biometrics like fingerprints and face recognition is that you're stuffed if your biometrics change. Swollen face? Face recognition may no longer work. Hand in plaster? Fingerprint recognition no longer works. Just back from a tooth extraction? Voice recognition may no longer work. And then there's the problem of copied biometrics: remember how people were able to bypass facial recognition with photographs? I expect they can use deepfaked images now.
All none issues as it will just fall back to a PIN.

Man of Honour
Yeah most phones won't even let you use biometrics on first unlock after a reboot - requiring a pin or password.

Fingerprint is one of the most useful IMO but I've found too many phones the sensor seems to become less effective over time (even with maintenance and updating the profile) so I just use a pin now.

That said, your fingerprints are all over your screen anyway, they could always create a script in the OS which sends that data to them if they wanted.

I don't believe that is possible unless you regularly linger over the fingerprint or camera sensors, etc. and camera would need to be using some form of emitted light to capture under those circumstances. (Unless you have one of the phones where the whole screen works as a finger print sensor).

Soldato
All none issues as it will just fall back to a PIN.

You're changing the parameters of the question. And they are all issues if the relevant biometrics are copied.

And fingerprints are an embuggeration if you're wearing a glove as you have to remove the glove.

Man of Honour

the thing is if none of them work eg my finger is wet, it just resorts to pin unlock.

Back
Top Bottom