Mortal Kombat

Soldato
Damn it, I was going to give it a miss as I thought it'll probably be trash. Then I watched the teaser and now I want to watch the rest. I used to love the MK games but I'm fully expecting this to be trash, I just can't help myself.

RT also has Stowaway sitting at 77% ..and that was the biggest pile of gash of seen in a few years.

That was my viewing for tonight!

Soldato
I just finished watching this.

I would say it's a strong 6/10, mainly for the fight scenes.

I'll echo what others have said regarding it feeling rushed at times, the editing felt on the choppy side and for a movie that tries very hard to have a plot it was hit and miss. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoyed the movie -- but it could have been a lot more. It was visceral at times while at others it seemed afraid to go that extra step. I found myself wanting to watch a movie based around Scorpion more than the story we were given. When it's good it's very good, when it's "bad" it's average and inconsistent. There were unnecessarily lengthy periods where not a lot happened, I'd compare it to earlier Monsterverse movies that tried to focus too much on the 'human element' when ultimately all people wanted to see were the badass fights.

I do agree with the choice for Johnny Cage to be absent, there were some very strong personalities in the movie, Kano especially, which would have clashed with such a character. I think it's very obvious that Johnny Cage will be the focus on the next movie should we get one.

Overall I enjoyed it and I would recommend seeing it, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend paying the current asking prices unless you're a fan of the franchise.

Caporegime
Thought it was pretty good overall:

The Kung Lao fatality was on point, and in the final battle it was noticeable how Sub Zero near the end of the fight started to look more like Noob Saibot when he took his armour off, which presumably he will be in the sequel if this does well enough. Kano was also an entertaining character in the movie and had a few one liners that got a laugh. The CG for Goro was pretty good for the most part as well, he looked more imposing, in the original 1995 movie with the animatronic setup on top of another actor to me he always looked on the thin side and just looked gangly instead of a 8 foot plus murder machine.

Soldato
How can one watch this in the UK at the moment?

HBO Max via a proxy unless it's available on the likes of Amazon, if you can't or don't want to do that it should be available on UK streaming services within a day or two if Godzilla vs Kong is anything to go by.

Caporegime
Damn it, I was going to give it a miss as I thought it'll probably be trash. Then I watched the teaser and now I want to watch the rest. I used to love the MK games but I'm fully expecting this to be trash, I just can't help myself.
the trailers kinda misleading imo.

it's like a 6/10 maybe never would watch it again

I did get a laugh from one of them when they managed to stick in a mortal kombat win announcement line but the films pretty much a weak action movie with a really crappy basic plot.
the opening is cool but everyone already seen it the rest of the movie ain't that

Soldato
the trailers kinda misleading imo.

it's like a 6/10 maybe never would watch it again

I did get a laugh from one of them when they managed to stick in a mortal kombat win announcement line but the films pretty much a weak action movie with a really crappy basic plot.
the opening is cool but everyone already seen it the rest of the movie ain't that

It's a shame because it could have been more when going off the first few minutes. It couldn't decide on whether it wanted to be plot heavy or focus on the action, and honestly it should have focused on the action.

Soldato
I would probably say 6/7ish too, bit biased because I'm a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sanada (guy who plays Scorpion) and well he just wasn't in it enough.
Scorpion also came across a bit too 'weak' imo too, scorpion wasn't exactly a slouch in the games iirc (been a while), and the original pre scorpion was supposedly some bad ass samurai...

I wouldn't say the acting in general was top grade but I have seen worse and you could easily see the stunt doubles in some spots but is it worth a watch, yeah probably

Soldato
watched today very good film. kano was my favourite.
Kano and the constant leg sweep moment was pretty funny " is that the only move you know", I think ive said that so many times.

Most of the cast where good, Jax was pretty bad, but the new character was so god damn awful, why take a franchise with established characters only to write in a new lame one that power is having some tinfoil wrapped aorund him!?

Soldato
I would probably say 6/7ish too, bit biased because I'm a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sanada (guy who plays Scorpion) and well he just wasn't in it enough.
Scorpion also came across a bit too 'weak' imo too, scorpion wasn't exactly a slouch in the games iirc (been a while), and the original pre scorpion was supposedly some bad ass samurai...

I wouldn't say the acting in general was top grade but I have seen worse and you could easily see the stunt doubles in some spots but is it worth a watch, yeah probably

I dont think it biased to like the easily best actor in the film, or most films he is in really. I think most are saying hes only in for alittle bit cause thats all they could afford of him in it.

Soldato
I really enjoyed it. It kinda lost its way a little after a strong start. Then kinda of just rushed to the end.

They have already explained why there's a new character instead of Jonny Cage. They didn't want the cast to be too white. (This is on record) I must say there was very little ID politics or political themes throughout the film can't remember 1.

Was trying to figure out where I seen jax before then the penny dropped... SuperGirl ugh

They tried to actually have some classic story arcs but it felt rushed and tried to the introduce the characters to non MK fans with clumsy dialogue.

First 7 mins bloody perfection. It would have been much better to jump to Jax and Sonya on mission tracking down Kano which would have then introduce them.

I belive they had to cut a lot of the film and more fight scenes.

Overall I still really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think it biased to like the easily best actor in the film, or most films he is in really. I think most are saying hes only in for alittle bit cause thats all they could afford of him in it.
Yeah he's probably more expensive than most of the other cast (Chin Han, who played Shang Tsung, would likely be similar cost imo) but according to online sources he's not exactly filthy rich for an actor (about $10mil) so I doubt his fee's are that excessive for a $50Mil (wiki) film.

It's a shame though if that is the case because Scorpion versus Sub Zero could have carried an entire movie on it's own lol

Soldato
I think the biggest wrong about it was having Goro as some throwaway henchman, killed by a new character who only discovered his "power" etc.

Permabanned
It was just ok, on par with all the other MK movies that have been made, Sonya Blade just made me think of Kylie from that Street Fighter 2 movie.
Goro just looked like the Hulk with 4 arms, I swear he had the exact same face as the Hulk too!

Associate
I was a bit let down by this. Too much time spent on some awful characters and poor actors. Some really bland acting performances aswell. It's Mortal Kombat you can ham it up!!

Also didnt like the superpower aspect of it and how the managed that. For me Mortal Kombat is just supposed to be the worlds best fighters going at it and some have abilitys.

None of this crap fighters get tattoo which gives them superpowers and makes them OP BS.

Soldato
I really enjoyed it, I think they did as good as you can with the gossamer thin 'Fighting tournament to save the world' plot, which you can't really get away from, because that's the entire basis of the franchise.
It was smart to be very choosy with the characters who were in it, as otherwise you're bloating the film with half-assed explanations of character backgrounds.
I actually liked that they added a new character, it gives them licence to branch it into it's own thing more, and I hope he gets 'legitimised' in some future MK DLC.
Kano was genuinely hilarious, and Kabal was very cool indeed.

For anyone that thought this was bad, go and watch the Tekken or King of Fighters films and see what bad actually looks like when you're working with a fighting tournament game plot!

Caporegime
I was a bit let down by this. Too much time spent on some awful characters and poor actors. Some really bland acting performances aswell. It's Mortal Kombat you can ham it up!!

Also didnt like the superpower aspect of it and how the managed that. For me Mortal Kombat is just supposed to be the worlds best fighters going at it and some have abilitys.

None of this crap fighters get tattoo which gives them superpowers and makes them OP BS.

The tattoo thing was a tournament "invite", had nothing to do with their powers. The odd thing about the movie was the tournament never happened, presumably that happens in part 2.

Associate
Mindless action, really enjoyed it. Could have been 30 mins longer. Nice fan service with the fatalities. MMA dude felt irrelevant as no char building.

Not a bad start for a first time director. Looks like a sequel is coming.

Soldato
Mindless action, really enjoyed it. Could have been 30 mins longer. Nice fan service with the fatalities. MMA dude felt irrelevant as no char building.

Not a bad start for a first time director. Looks like a sequel is coming.
MMA guy had the most backstory of anyone and was the worst character in the movie lol, Kano was brilliant, overall I loved the movie for what it was. New Rayden sucks compared to Christopher Lambert.

Back
Top Bottom