*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
On a slightly more serious note, they are releasing Airlink Today for everyone. People that don't have V28 yet will get it when their headsets update.

I hate you all. All of you. Every one. You're all gits.

On the other hand, by the end of next week I should have be flying around in star wars squadrons with a hotas setup, and my link cable is actually working again, so I'm excited as anything, and I'll forgive you all.

I just might not give you enough power to actually impulse whilst I'm still trying to fix everything!

Sem

Sem

Soldato
It's unusable for me. The lag is around half a second.

same abit strange and disappointing

for the most part VD worked well but looked terrible compared to link
Airlink looks better than VD maybe even as good as cable link but its noticeably laggier when I'm literally 1m away from my Wifi 6 router with no other devices on the 5ghz band :rolleyes:
with VD i could use it in another room from the router with a kitchen in the middle

somethings up...

Soldato
Man i just tried oculus link for the first time today after receiving my cable but not using it for gaming until now! Bloody hell, the difference in graphics quality is night and day! As much as i hate using a cable, i do love the extra fidelity it brings over wireless!

On another note, still waiting for V28 to load, no update as of yet. Restarted a few times and still nothing...

Associate
Man i just tried oculus link for the first time today after receiving my cable but not using it for gaming until now! Bloody hell, the difference in graphics quality is night and day! As much as i hate using a cable, i do love the extra fidelity it brings over wireless!

On another note, still waiting for V28 to load, no update as of yet. Restarted a few times and still nothing...

You wait till you try wireless on v28 then, you can manually update if you can't wait and it's very easy to do

Are you running the debug tool?
If so set bitrate back to 0, I read this fixtures the lag
Mine is running fine but I don't use the debug tool

Nice one, that did it. However, the image is quite reduced now but I think I can live with that to be free of the cable.

Associate
Fao melmac
So, a combination of installing new cpu, your advice regarding uninstalling the two windows updates and forcing v28 through has made the experience near perfect. No stuttering or FPS drops.
Very happy bunny. Thank you ever so much for your help.

Soldato
Fao melmac
So, a combination of installing new cpu, your advice regarding uninstalling the two windows updates and forcing v28 through has made the experience near perfect. No stuttering or FPS drops.
Very happy bunny. Thank you ever so much for your help.

Hey mate, your welcome!! Glad you got it sorted. :)

Soldato

That would suck if it's that bad. Not everyone is complaining about lag, so I wonder is there some incompatibility with certain routers/configurations??

They are supposedly releasing a new version next week, hopefully that will improve things for you.

I still haven't tested it yet, will try it and report back.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
If you think it looks better than VD, try the latest beta version of VD

im on the beta version of VD and yes it still looks crap compared to Link/Airlink and with VD i maxed out the bit rate and other settings on HEVC latency be damned just to see best case
Main problem with VD is the colors look off and its a lot darker compared to link/airlink and the official solutions appears to have less aliasing and artifacts

using a 3080 so have a decent encoder

Sem

Sem

Soldato
That would suck if it's that bad. Not everyone is complaining about lag, so I wonder is there some incompatibility with certain routers/configurations??

They are supposedly releasing a new version next week, hopefully that will improve things for you.

I still haven't tested it yet, will try it and report back.

ive done more testing and found the source of my lag and stuttering

my network config is.. PC 5gbe (Marvell/Aquantia) -> 10gbe Switch (Netgear SX10) -> Asus router (AX82U)
once i connect my pc to the router directly everything is perfect

not sure why the switch is causing lag its a "gaming switch" and normal wired gaming is perfect and ive checked the control panel and made sure my PC and uplink ports gets the highest priority
will do more testing maybe disable QoS or something

also VD for all its visual flaws works pretty well with the same config maybe i should raise direct with oculus

Soldato
ive done more testing and found the source of my lag and stuttering

my network config is.. PC 5gbe (Marvell/Aquantia) -> 10gbe Switch (Netgear SX10) -> Asus router (AX82U)
once i connect my pc to the router directly everything is perfect

not sure why the switch is causing lag its a "gaming switch" and normal wired gaming is perfect and ive checked the control panel and made sure my PC and uplink ports gets the highest priority
will do more testing maybe disable QoS or something

also VD for all its visual flaws works pretty well with the same config maybe i should raise direct with oculus

That's odd. Couldn't imagine that any half decent switch would have trouble managing the throughput.

Soldato

Ok, just did a quick test with two games and it works perfectly in those games at least. Tried Skyrim VR and Asgard's Wrath.

Set my encode bitrate back to 0 in the debug tool and restarted the service. Then I launched Air Link and set the dynamic bit rate to max. Started Skyrim and Fought some Giants near Winterhold, no lag or stutters. Then I tried Asgard's Wrath, Just stayed in the Bar, did the axe throwing challenge and change form a couple of times. Again, no lag at all.

Both games looked great, even in the distance, but, sometimes the dynamic bitrate changing was noticeable and distracting. If I am using it long term, I will be using fixed Rate.

Back
Top Bottom