• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti underperforming by a large margin

Associate
Hi all,

New to this forum - hope you can help me find a solution for this problem.

I have a two year old machine, that used to perform really well, but recently been having trouble getting the FPS I was used to. Thought maybe an update to the Geforce driver would help, but it continues.

So thought I would do 3Dmark benchmark and compare, and my score is in the below 2% of same systems. Just did a complete reinstall of Windows, which didn't help.

Is there anything in the benchmark that stands out? Or anything you would recommend me try?
http://www.3dmark.com/spy/19816039

Also did a user benchmark, that could give some more insights.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42363133

What I have checked :
Fresh install of Windows
Updated BIOS on MB
PCIe running gen3
RAM is running in XMP mode
Power management in Windows and Nvidia Control Panel is set to Performance
G-Sync is off when running benchmarks

Associate
according to your 1st benchmark it looks like XMP isn't enabled as Ram is running at 2183 Mhz but your userbench shows 3000Mhz for Ram:confused: Temp seems a bit warm for a Stock clock card ... maybe time for a repaste and new thermal pads .

Associate
Definitely something wrong there, looking at other Timespy scores with similar specs you're showing a 20-30% performance loss.

Download the latest GPU-Z and take a look on the sensors page when you have all other programs closed. If the GPU Load is above 0% then start loading all the programs you might have in the background, Steam, Discord, browsers etc one by one and see if the GPU load increases at all.

There was a time a while back where the Blizzard launcher was causing me performance issues while gaming, and I had to minimise it when in game or it got all choppy. It might still be happening but i have it set to minimise on game start all the time now.

Soldato
How recent? there is a Windows 10 update which is causing performance issues and/or stuttering in games for quite a few people - thread here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...erates-and-causing-games-to-stutter.18926593/

Could be that.

Beware that almost everyone of the GPU benchmarks online is going to be overclocked.

My rigs are the same until I overclock the GPU - i.e. it "looks" like they are underperforming, but only because so many people submit overclocked scores.

PLUS people who are into tweaking and overclocking will submit more results than normal, further skewing the results to the hign end.

I can't find my benchmarks with my default (i.e. straight from the box) settings, but my GPU scores are 10%+ higher now I've overclocked / tuned the MSI Afterburner profile.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have downloaded GPU-Z, and with the regular app open, its at 0% GPU Load, so that should be fine.

I have tried running GPU TweakII from ASUS, to monitor GPU/Mem frequencies and they were at the expected level. Tried OC and got 1905mhz on the GPU. Right now it is uninstalled, as I wanted to make sure that software didn't do something.

Cant think of any other software that could be capping my FPS, as I only have Nvidia Control Panel and Geforce Experience installed now.

Associate
OP
I have updated my MB BIOS to the latest, is it also possible to update GPU BIOS? Have never done that before

StrongSad -> My GPU load according to GPU-Z during gaming is 99%

Associate
OP
Just ran another Time Spy - GPU-Z says :
GPU clock 1890MHz
Mem clock 1800 MHz
GPU temp 72,6
It also has something called Hot Spot - that says 107,3?
Mem temp 99,5

Max fan speed 1&2 48%

Soldato
Just ran another Time Spy - GPU-Z says :
GPU clock 1890MHz
Mem clock 1800 MHz
GPU temp 72,6
It also has something called Hot Spot - that says 107,3?
Mem temp 99,5

Max fan speed 1&2 48%
Am going run a test of time spy with my PC which is almost the same spec as yours

My PC
i7-8700k
Asus 2080ti

Back
Top Bottom