Oculus Quest 2 getting official wireless 'Air Link' mode and 120hz PC support

Soldato
OP
On first impressions Air link is impressive! Works better in my lounge than Virtual Desktop, though still a bit jittery (though simpler games like Cosmodread work great).
Next to my router it seemed like a wired experience. Still not as sharp as my Index, despite the reduced SDE, but amazing for a wireless connection. This is a killer feature. I'll need to experiment some more to see how it works in different rooms amd with different games.

Soldato
I got the update but air link doesn't work properly for me. I have all the requirements met but when I click launch, it does launch but the view is only a square which moves in front (not flat screen, still vr, but fov is just a square rather than 360) of my face and I cant select anything accurately at all.

edit: i fixed it, i had change the bitrate myself in oculus debug tool. setting it back to 0 fixes my issue

Last edited:
Soldato
I cant tell the difference between VD and Airlink myself.
Both run smooth and looks good for 100mbps.
Only difference is VD supports 120hz which is just delightful.

Associate
Had my first shot of Air Link and I did find the picture quality better than on VD. It was only a few mins on Alyx but impressed nonetheless.

Associate
Tried Airlink through my Orbi which is just wifi5. It was unusable despite the satellite being in the same room as PC and Quest 2 with PC wired. I had much better luck with VD which still had a bit too much latency. Pity.

edit. DirtyBeatFreak’s fix worked for me too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the update but air link doesn't work properly for me. I have all the requirements met but when I click launch, it does launch but the view is only a square which moves in front (not flat screen, still vr, but fov is just a square rather than 360) of my face and I cant select anything accurately at all.

edit: i fixed it, i had change the bitrate myself in oculus debug tool. setting it back to 0 fixes my issue
Is it not set to 0 by default anyway? When i open up the debugtool it shows as 0 for me unless you've changed it previously?

Soldato
Is it not set to 0 by default anyway? When i open up the debugtool it shows as 0 for me unless you've changed it previously?

edit: i fixed it, i had change the bitrate myself in oculus debug tool.

:p:p :) hehe. I had it on 500 before, and yea, setting it back to 0 sorted it :)

(to be fair if I could type better and had written changed like I meant to, it may not have confused)

Soldato
I got rid of my Quest 1 last summer but I would just like to say I was a big supporter for Virtual Desktop via Sidequest and the guy who develops it is brilliant and answers your questions.

Read through the thead and I would just like to say for me on a Quest 1 and Virtual Desktop it was pretty good and this is 10 months ago now. When I first read VD was coming back into the store I felt the Dev had done well then I read about Facebooks synical Airlink on this thread just makes your blood boil a bit.

To all you finding the wonders of Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop I can tell you this. I was using my Quest 1 outside in the garden and also in my garage last year. Thats about 10 metres from my router (BT Smarthub 1) and it worked fine. If you want a really good test for Quest 2 and WiFi run the Star Wars Millenium Falcon demo on Steam, the one with R2 in it this will really test your setup and show you whether its working okay or not. I also completed Half Life Alyx using VD in my kitchen (it just happened to make an ideal room space).

Quest 1 and Virtual Desktop worked pretty darn well last Summer 2020 so I can only imagine with the Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop now it must be pretty amazing.

Soldato
Airlink is up and running
Select it in the beta tab on the desktop oculus software and then it will appear on the headset
Just given it some testing and it works well, Virtual desktop performs better still for me but that's probably as it's running 120hz and Airlink is currently 90hz

what will be really interesting is when/if 120hz airlink is enabled, running ASW with 60fps - 120Hz... ASW artefacts should be less noticeable than from 45fps (less motion to calculate for a given frame, less to get wrong), you get the buttery smooth 120Hz feeling, and a relatively easy frame rate target of 60fps + ASW headroom.

Would be really interesting to compare a “native” 90fps vs 60->120 ASW.

Soldato
what will be really interesting is when/if 120hz airlink is enabled, running ASW with 60fps - 120Hz... ASW artefacts should be less noticeable than from 45fps (less motion to calculate for a given frame, less to get wrong), you get the buttery smooth 120Hz feeling, and a relatively easy frame rate target of 60fps + ASW headroom.

Would be really interesting to compare a “native” 90fps vs 60->120 ASW.

That's been considered already. I think it was even mentioned as a potential option for RE4.

Associate
So I have a pretty crappy bog standard Plusnet router downstairs and my pc upstairs. If I was wanting to take advantage of airlink could I just get a standalone router to put in the same room as my PC or would it have to be wired up to my Plusnet router?

Associate
Yeah you can do that. I bought a TP-Link Archer C6 for about £35 and have that plugged into my PC solely for VD/Air Link. No need for it to be hooked up to your plus net router.

Soldato
So I have a pretty crappy bog standard Plusnet router downstairs and my pc upstairs. If I was wanting to take advantage of airlink could I just get a standalone router to put in the same room as my PC or would it have to be wired up to my Plusnet router?

It depends, how is your PC connected to your Router downstairs?

Associate
Yeah you can do that. I bought a TP-Link Archer C6 for about £35 and have that plugged into my PC solely for VD/Air Link. No need for it to be hooked up to your plus net router.
Guessing it means I wouldn't be able to play online though?
It depends, how is your PC connected to your Router downstairs?
Just on the WiFi bud.

Back
Top Bottom