• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Caporegime
The only people I really feel sorry for are those whose GPU fails, and have no choice but to buy something right now.

That would honestly suck. Not only is nothing available right now, but if you do manage to find anything it's comically priced.

I mean what could you do in that situation.. you're kind of boned.

Associate
When you stop to think about it, anyone who is willing to pay upwards of £1000 for a graphics card really needs to question what they are doing in life, lol.

Why? People spend money on all sorts of things. Why not PC gaming? You can make the same argument about watches, TVs, in fact any consumer products at all. Would I like to spend less money for the same product? Of course. But if you have the money, people should be free to spend it how they like, and with supply and demand being what it is, GPUs are expensive right now. No one NEEDS a £1000+ card but no one NEEDS a gaming PC at all.

Associate
i dont understand rolex. i hate the fact that some mountain bikes cost 10 000£
I dont care that some gpus cost 3k .
But im sad that i cant have gpu for my budget.

Associate
Why? People spend money on all sorts of things. Why not PC gaming? You can make the same argument about watches, TVs, in fact any consumer products at all. Would I like to spend less money for the same product? Of course. But if you have the money, people should be free to spend it how they like, and with supply and demand being what it is, GPUs are expensive right now. No one NEEDS a £1000+ card but no one NEEDS a gaming PC at all.

People who spend £1000s on watches are equally lame tbh.

Permabanned

Because they are just one part of a PC whereas most other £1000+ items are complete.

Of course people can spend loads of money on a PC but it kinda indicates to me that that they should be finding more interesting things to do with money! I know there are always people who are exceptions to the rule and can justify that expense, but I wonder how many would be better off it they looked elsewhere to spend it.

Soldato

If someone gets that much enjoyment out of the money they spend, great. But buyers remorse is a real thing, and the current climate probably produces a lot of buyer's remorse.

Had I spent another $800 for "detailed grass" I would have wished I had bought something else with that money after a couple laps.

Associate
My 5700 packed in and I had no choice, however I was lucky(I think) and got a rtx3060 for 500 quid, well expensive but it had to be done, and its a good card, as good if not better than the 5700 and clocks very well, but I will upgrade when the prices get back too normal, if they ever do

Associate
Managed to grab a EVGA 1660 Super SC Ultra from a competitor a few days ago. Was extremely lucky as it was priced at MSRP, checked back an hour later and all had been gobbled up. No doubt these are now floating about on a marketplace right about now.

1660 Super wasn't my first choice of card and would have liked a 6x00XT or 3070 however, my build is finished for now and hopefully a GPU upgrade end of the year?

How much did you get the 1660 super for? I don't know what a MSRP of that card is anymore. I know they were around £230/260 in October.

Associate
got a single 4k screen and that is all I have the space for, but cleared the desk for pc testing and can fit a 22" and a 4k side by side

downloaded an open source gpu temp checker as need to play around with the titan or drop another £300 on a gpu as the current is a GF 460 1gb one (from an old pc)

have seen high end cards on various sites for £1200+ which does not interest me

the 4k is nvidia gsync and so not a lot of point putting in an amd even though I have an amd card ?

Man of Honour
That's the disconnect that companies want when it comes to electronic payment...a click of a button, compared to handing over a visual, physical real amount of hard cash, compared to an electronic number on screen that you have no connection with.
It's the same with online gambling, you can easily lose a couple of months wages with just a few clicks and it doesn't feel that real compared to if you had to walk into a bank branch and physically make a withdrawal or authorise a transaction.
Arguably a pure barter economy where there was no currency would make people think twice (I'm not suggesting this is a good idea btw, it's very inefficient), i.e. instead of having £10k in the bank you'd have items to that value of £10k that you would then exchange when purchasing.

What I've come to the conclusion is that with the exception of people who are new to PC gaming or have had a hardware failure, it's pretty easy to sit tight in terms of just simply not buying a new GPU. Play some of your backlog of older games, lower the settings, and revisit the idea of an upgrade when prices have come down / new hardware has come out. I've yet to find a situation where I've got majorly frustrated with my 1070ti, I've got plenty of games it can handle to keep me going, if I had to wait 2-3 years for something better at a sensible price then so be it.

Associate
, if I had to wait 2-3 years for something better at a sensible price then so be it.

The problem comes when you've waited 2-3 years already and then this happens!

I agree with you though - I upgraded from a 980ti, and yes it was a little old, but to be honest, I can't see a particularly huge difference in Tomb Raider. Yes it's there, but it was just as fun on the 980ti. Did I NEED to upgrade to a 30 series? No, not really.

Associate
I think the 980ti is still fast enough to play any game and have it look pretty, as long as you're realistic with your expectations.

Precisely. It's easy to get swept up in the hype and think you 'need' these things. I thought I needed a 20 series, but it turned out I didn't.

I mean OK, i didn't try Cyberpunk on it

Soldato
Before the upgrade I had an older intel CPU that was overclocked but was really holding me back. Add on top of that a GTX980 that I got 2nd hand from here and although games would run. Constantly had to lower GFX and make tweaks.

Going to a Ryzen build with a 3070 has been a game changer for me personally. So nice being able to smash every setting on when playing at 1440p. Getting the added benefit of 165 FPS when playing comp FPS / Mobas also.

Associate
What I've come to the conclusion is that with the exception of people who are new to PC gaming or have had a hardware failure, it's pretty easy to sit tight in terms of just simply not buying a new GPU. Play some of your backlog of older games, lower the settings, and revisit the idea of an upgrade when prices have come down / new hardware has come out. I've yet to find a situation where I've got majorly frustrated with my 1070ti, I've got plenty of games it can handle to keep me going, if I had to wait 2-3 years for something better at a sensible price then so be it.

That's 'cause you have a 1070 Ti. It's a bit different when you're sitting on a Radeon R9 280x and were waiting for 3000 series so you could finally upgrade and get some proper use out of the VR gear you were bought as a present...

I'd murder my granny for a decent GPU right now.

Well, maybe not murder her. Maim her.

No, still a bit strong... I would be quite rude to her. She'd be upset about that though and she's so nice. So maybe not...

I would happily mildly inconvenience my granny for a decent GPU.

Well, not happily but I would do it.

There, I said it.

Back
Top Bottom