Race report: 'UK not deliberately rigged against ethnic minorities'

Associate
I can't imagine anyone with an "English accent" going abroad and being offended because someone mispronounced their name, or being confused and finding them racist because they didn't make the effort to learn how to correctly pronounce a name that is outside of their cultural norm. Maybe just stop being so soft. If you're in the UK and have a name that isn't common here because it has roots within a different culture then people will pronounce it wrong sometimes. I have a friend from Norway I speak to a lot, do you imagine I pronounce her name 100% correctly when I speak it despite my best efforts? It has symbols in it such as Ø that we don't even use here.

Are you being paid to work while abroad and are you being misnamed constantly during your work because people find it funny?

If its simply a holiday, you can choose not to go on those if other countries offend you.

Soldato
Are you being paid to work while abroad and are you being misnamed constantly during your work because people find it funny?

If its simply a holiday, you can choose not to go on those if other countries offend you.
I often work with people from other countries and my name is constantly mispronounced. I really don't see what the issue is.

Soldato
... mostly these days I don't even correct it just say "Close enough" if they are vaguely in the right area.
:D
I know the feeling, there are certain sounds the native english speakers just struggle to create.

Has anyone else also learnt to spell out their name using the NATO alphabet? (I guess this might be a top tip for some people reading this)
My name is quite long and it cuts down on errors and having to constantly repeat stuff

fez

fez

Caporegime
I often work with people from other countries and my name is constantly mispronounced. I really don't see what the issue is.

Nobody can pronounce my surname properly. They often make jokes about it. Can't say it's ever bothered me.

Well you're both doing it wrong. You should claim racism and use the classic Schwarzenegger defence. People can't pronounce Arnolds name correctly because he is world famous, its because he is white and all white people know how to pronounce all other white peoples names. Ignore the fact that a lot of white people have their name constantly mispronounced and refuse to believe its usually a completely innocent mistake and assume the worst.

Associate
Americans are clearly Anglophobic as they cannot pronounce names like Bicester and Loughborough.

While funny I was actually thinking about this. Even most Brits can't pronounce a lot of those town names.

However if you don't know how to pronounce a co workers name, you can ask them and they will tell you.

I forgot that in the case where I had one of the managers purposefully mispronounce my name, I had already been working there for a few weeks, he was already calling me by my name fine all that time, then one day he decides to come up to me and pronounce every letter in my name as it is spelled (E.G. Trying to pronounce the 'Ch' in 'Christian' as it sounds in 'Chicken'. This was not at all an accident or because he didn't know how to pronounce my name, he did in purpose just to take the ****. I was also working with a white co worker that was far more offended by it than I was and that actually told him off for saying my name how he was doing.

If the exact same thing happened today, the co worker would be likely to file a complaint immediately.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I used to work in Safeway in the evenings while going To college, I was there for 5 years and had a little crush on a girl that worked there
Every time that she would walk by me I would say "Hi Laura" but she would just smile and say nothing back, One week I heard she was leaving and there was a card going round, It turns out her name was Jennifer and for 5 years I'd been calling her Laura, oh dear.

Associate
I used to work in Safeway in the evenings while going To college, I was there for 5 years and had a little crush on a girl that worked there
Every time that she would walk by me I would say "Hi Laura" but she would just smile and say nothing back, One week I heard she was leaving and there was a card going round, It turns out her name was Jennifer and for 5 years I'd been calling her Laura, oh dear.

Now imagine if Jennifer was black and you had thought her name was and repeatedly called her 'Shanaynay', and then you have a racism.

Caporegime
Now imagine if Jennifer was black and you had thought her name was and repeatedly called her 'Shanaynay', and then you have a racism.
Is this serious or parody? I can't tell any more.

Getting a white person's name wrong, silly billy. Getting a black person's name wrong, racism.

This is why people are just rolling their eyes these days when people start talking about systemic racism. It's way overused for ridiculous things that in other contexts would just be daft.

Soldato
Aren't you describing a probation period?

And I would've thought it wouldn't be hard to sack someone who's useless, especially if you've given them ample time and support to improve.

Yes but in theory only.
Its not worth the time in my company.
Giving people ample time is not your responsibility.

Edit: The last part is very situational. But essentially you need to be able to figure things out using common sense, and show work ethic.

Its like those CNC machines, they use thousands of commands to make something.

I want to tell you the end result, and you figure out the details, not that i tell you every single thing and order to do it, if its the latter then there is no use for you.

Not ever seeing any names before, how to determine one is fake and one is not?

Regardless, if you think that is racism then aside from your manager being an idiot, the problem is almost entirely with you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom