The New European Super (borefest) League

Don
No, it was meant to in theory stop clubs from running business models that were completely unsustainable long term when their revenues were not keeping up with expenses. Some people might suggest that it was to stop things like City and Chelsea happening again but who knows. A wage cap is usually a definite figure regardless of your spending power. FFP was simply designed to protect clubs from getting into monetary trouble by overspending. Uniteds overspending looks very different to Burnleys.
That was the reason why FFP, in its current form, was introduced. I say in it's current form because FFP wasn't meant to be this, it was meant to prevent clubs racking up mountains of debt but clubs didn't want this, they wanted a system that both prevented another Chelsea or City and forced clubs to be profitable.

Associate
Playing catch up but the Everton statements make me laugh. Earlier in the season when it was debated Everton would be part of a big 8 the Everton owner said nothing. If they were offered it they would have snapped it up. The hypocrites claiming if offered they would have said no. As big a liar as the rest of the owners.

Caporegime
When I was growing up and didn't take much notice of football I thought that club football was similar to how international football is, where a club like Liverpool basically has players who were born in or around Liverpool, players who they'd recruit as kids and nurture through to 1st team football so that it was more about a clubs ability to recruit and teach football than who has the deepest pockets. I'm presuming that's how football started and unless you get rid of transfers and go back to that sort of model you just have to accept that football has become a business where money is the single biggest factor in a clubs success. I'd love it if my local club could hold on to its best players but teams in the top two divisions can afford to pay them 5 times more just to let them rot in their reserves.

If you want to help smaller clubs out and allow them to become more competitive smaller squads at the top would help, so they can't just sign players they will never use.

Last edited:
Soldato
They can be quite thuggish and I am surprised how few cards they get in the CL for what would usually be picked up on in PL. Maybe I've just seen bad games but I wonder how much of their success is due to status/reputation and an intimidating aura, both to refs and players.

Ramos on Salah a few years back for example. That "tackle" effectively put him out the world cup.

Man of Honour
They can be quite thuggish and I am surprised how few cards they get in the CL for what would usually be picked up on in PL. Maybe I've just seen bad games but I wonder how much of their success is due to status/reputation and an intimidating aura, both to refs and players.

Ramos on Salah a few years back for example. That "tackle" effectively put him out the world cup.

No different to what goes on in the PL, players like Fernandinho go around committing foul after foul without punishment. City are notorious for rotating cynical fouls on the opposition to disrupt play.

Soldato
Fair point, but they're not alone. Seen a few other clubs making "tactical fouls" as well. And then there are the horror shows that go unpunished. no one mention Pickford on Van Dijk for that matter...

Soldato
Fair point, but they're not alone. Seen a few other clubs making "tactical fouls" as well. And then there are the horror shows that go unpunished. no one mention Pickford on Van Dijk for that matter...
Injuries happen, I don't think pickford intended to injure him or even touch him but block the ball, however I do think that if your carelessness puts a player out of action you should be out for the same amount of time.

Soldato
No different to what goes on in the PL, players like Fernandinho go around committing foul after foul without punishment. City are notorious for rotating cynical fouls on the opposition to disrupt play.

Ramos, the most red carded player in la liga history, deliberately held on to Salahs shoulder then in the same game elbowed Karius in the face. Not comparable.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Injuries happen, I don't think pickford intended to injure him or even touch him but block the ball, however I do think that if your carelessness puts a player out of action you should be out for the same amount of time.

Doesn't matter, keepers have waaaaay too much protection from referees. There have been quite a few times this season where a keeper has completely pole-axed a player to get the ball and not been punished. Pickford went in very dangerously and despite the offside he should have been off. Somehow Edison managed to get a foul against Bellingham in the CL for kicking Bellingham just before he rounded him and scored. Keepers need to be treated like any other player when it comes to dangerous play. You can't come flying out full bodied and screw anyone else.

Don
UEFA, the saviours of football, have just announced ticket details for the Europa League final. Despite being in the middle of a pandemic and the 4 semi finalists being from UK, Spain & Italy, they've decided to push ahead with plans to host the final in Poland. Obviously that makes perfect sense - you really need thousands of people traveling around Europe at times like these.

Predictably there will be a reduced capacity for the final of just 9500. Of that 9500, UEFA have very generously allowed 4000 supporters to attend, with the other 5500 seats going to UEFA.

fez

fez

Caporegime
UEFA, the saviours of football, have just announced ticket details for the Europa League final. Despite being in the middle of a pandemic and the 4 semi finalists being from UK, Spain & Italy, they've decided to push ahead with plans to host the final in Poland. Obviously that makes perfect sense - you really need thousands of people traveling around Europe at times like these.

Predictably there will be a reduced capacity for the final of just 9500. Of that 9500, UEFA have very generously allowed 4000 supporters to attend, with the other 5500 seats going to UEFA.

Thank god we saved football from the greedy money grabbing clubs eh.

Man of Honour
To be fair they award finals based on whatever criteria, the final is being played this month so it would be a bit unfair on host cities to suddenly backtrack at the last minute. Heck, the final a couple of years back was Arsenal-Chelsea and yet two teams from London played in Timbuktu (Azerbaijan).

Edit: Just read the stadium for this year was actually supposed to host it last season, but it got put back due to Covid, so they're already a year late.

Doesn't matter, keepers have waaaaay too much protection from referees. There have been quite a few times this season where a keeper has completely pole-axed a player to get the ball and not been punished. Pickford went in very dangerously and despite the offside he should have been off. Somehow Edison managed to get a foul against Bellingham in the CL for kicking Bellingham just before he rounded him and scored. Keepers need to be treated like any other player when it comes to dangerous play. You can't come flying out full bodied and screw anyone else.
I agree with the essence of this but to play devil's advocate, because keepers are allowed to use their hands/arms to play the ball it means they will sometimes go for the ball in ways that no outfield player can and consequently there's more chance of certain types of collision. E.g. if there's an aerial ball they might go to punch it and catch a forward with a glancing blow- an outfield player would have no reasonable excuse for leading with an arm, whereas a keeper would.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom