Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
51125704320_ef26a96805_k.jpg

My new over priced hair dresser mobile, 2004 Euphonic MX5 with a GT25RS fitted running 243bhp/210ftlb along with lots of other choice mods. S14's are too steep and rare nowadays and the more modern stuff just doesn't get my juices flowing like I had hoped.

Money pit - check
Impractical - check

Lots of fun though and parts are still cheap enough for these that I don't feel bad hooning it about!

Soldato
51125704320_ef26a96805_k.jpg

My new over priced hair dresser mobile, 2004 Euphonic MX5 with a GT25RS fitted running 243bhp/210ftlb along with lots of other choice mods. S14's are too steep and rare nowadays and the more modern stuff just doesn't get my juices flowing like I had hoped.

Money pit - check
Impractical - check

Lots of fun though and parts are still cheap enough for these that I don't feel bad hooning it about!
Nice! Was this on eBay for like 8k+

Man of Honour
@Rich1988 That looks clean. 2560RS?

If you wanted to turn it into more of a money pit you could build another engine on the side with a set of Rods/Pistons and a 2560R will quite happily make 300hp or so.

My old one was a riot to drive at 280hp/250ft-lbs

Soldato
Nice! Was this on eBay for like 8k+

bit north of that yea.. haha a LOT of money for a Mk2.5 Mx5, however not including what he paid for it it has over £14,000 worth of invoices for parts and work and it has 22,000 miles so I think I paid a fair price for what it is. You could get a far more modern car for the money but does not appeal! It will be a summer daily

only as well.

Pound for pound I do not think you can get much better than a turbo'd MX5.

They are good fun that's for sure, I always came back to the Mk2.5 because I like them more than the Mk1 and they don't have the electical aids and the more refined feeling of the mk3 onwards.

@Rich1988 That looks clean. 2560RS?

If you wanted to turn it into more of a money pit you could build another engine on the side with a set of Rods/Pistons and a 2560R will quite happily make 300hp or so.

My old one was a riot to drive at 280hp/250ft-lbs

2560R not RS my typo error.

That's the plan haha, I have some bits I want to do first, such as replacing the fuji diff with a torsen and sourcing a 6 speed for when I change the engine, but the plan is to get another 1.8 vvt engine and upgrade pistons and rods etc as and when parts and time allow then transplant it. 280rwhp or around 300bhp at the crank is my ultimate goal really which should be achievable with a few bolt ons and engine parts!

Man of Honour
bit north of that yea.. haha a LOT of money for a Mk2.5 Mx5, however not including what he paid for it it has over £14,000 worth of invoices for parts and work and it has 22,000 miles so I think I paid a fair price for what it is. You could get a far more modern car for the money but does not appeal! It will be a summer daily

only as well.

They are good fun that's for sure, I always came back to the Mk2.5 because I like them more than the Mk1 and they don't have the electical aids and the more refined feeling of the mk3 onwards.

2560R not RS my typo error.

That's the plan haha, I have some bits I want to do first, such as replacing the fuji diff with a torsen and sourcing a 6 speed for when I change the engine, but the plan is to get another 1.8 vvt engine and upgrade pistons and rods etc as and when parts and time allow then transplant it. 280rwhp or around 300bhp at the crank is my ultimate goal really which should be achievable with a few bolt ons and engine parts!

There's better options on the diff front now. I'd have to find the company name but there's a guy over in Wales that rebuilds Fuji's with better frictions etc. A lot of the rally guys use them, a good working Fuji is better than a Torsen.

Engine recipe is fairly simple. Rods, pistons, ATI/Fluidampr and Oil pump gears.

It's probably personal but I feel the 5 speed ratios suit a higher powered car as the 6 speed feels a little too close with that much power. If you're happy with keeping the torque flat in the 240-250ft-lbs range it'll still happily make 300hp peak at 6500rpm and keep the 5 speed in one piece

Caporegime
There's better options on the diff front now. I'd have to find the company name but there's a guy over in Wales that rebuilds Fuji's with better frictions etc. A lot of the rally guys use them, a good working Fuji is better than a Torsen.

Engine recipe is fairly simple. Rods, pistons, ATI/Fluidampr and Oil pump gears.

It's probably personal but I feel the 5 speed ratios suit a higher powered car as the 6 speed feels a little too close with that much power. If you're happy with keeping the torque flat in the 240-250ft-lbs range it'll still happily make 300hp peak at 6500rpm and keep the 5 speed in one piece

Can echo this. The Fuji's are now being rebuilt and when in good order is better than the torsen.

Caporegime
Can echo this. The Fuji's are now being rebuilt and when in good order is better than the torsen.
Torsens are a bit naff really, they are just the best commonly available diff for them after they've covered a good few miles.

Proper LSD's are usually plated like the Fuji. I think the Fuji is usually avoided because they had a tendency to wear out what seemed a bit prematurely, right?

Caporegime
Torsens are a bit naff really, they are just the best commonly available diff for them after they've covered a good few miles.

Proper LSD's are usually plated like the Fuji. I think the Fuji is usually avoided because they had a tendency to wear out what seemed a bit prematurely, right?

Yes but there is a guy that rebuilds them stronger than factory for a couple of hundred notes and now Fuji second hand prices have sky rocketed!

Soldato

Regards the diff I had no idea, I always thought having owned MX5's that the fuji was to be avoided, the fuji I have bites well but clearly has been put on rollers as on the last oil change it had a tab in the oil (despite being 22k old). if you can dig it out I would appreciate it!

Man of Honour
Regards the diff I had no idea, I always thought having owned MX5's that the fuji was to be avoided, the fuji I have bites well but clearly has been put on rollers as on the last oil change it had a tab in the oil (despite being 22k old). if you can dig it out I would appreciate it!
I believe it's these guys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Mx...-/324558432208?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The Fuji has only ever been the one to avoid as they're so broken to being knackered because of the tabs breaking off, functionally they're superior as a Torsen still requires some level of torque being transmitted to both wheels before it'll lock up.

Soldato
I believe it's these guys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Mx...-/324558432208?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The Fuji has only ever been the one to avoid as they're so broken to being knackered because of the tabs breaking off, functionally they're superior as a Torsen still requires some level of torque being transmitted to both wheels before it'll lock up.

Cheers for that, and others who have mentioned it too. I will look at getting a rebuild when I need it rather than a new diff in that case now. The one I have does lock up very well as it stands, probably a side effect of being so low mileage, but I am glad to hear its actually a decent prospect if rebuilt.

Back
Top Bottom