Chivalry 2

Caporegime
Tried to find a thread for this but couldn't see anything. I've been playing the alpha last night and this morning and it's pretty good. It's lacking some of the weapons that the first game had but I'm sure we'll get some of those and more in time.

Associate
First thing I did (after the tutorial) on joining a server was see someone winding a trebuchet, so popped myself on it and got shot a hundred foot forward smashing into a wall and getting chopped to pieces by 20 enemies. Excellent.

Soldato
Better than Mordhau?

Whats the main difference, how the battles play out?

I prefer mordhau, but the problem with mordhau will always be its dwindling playerbase. The good thing about chiv 2 is the crossplay, so you're pretty much guaranteed to have a decent population playing the game for a long time.

From what I saw of the beta chiv has less customisation, you get a class and that class can have set weapons to pick from and an ability (war horn, banner, oil bombs), that's pretty much it aside from the cosmetics, mordhau had the point system so you could customise your load out with different weapons and armour

The modes don't really differ that much either, it's just objectives or TDM, push something here, capture this, kill this thing etc.

Soldato
Picked it up to see how it’s looking. It’s OK I guess but the new block system is weird compared to the first. Kicks don’t seen half as effective either, they used to buy a large window of time compared to Chiv2. Weapons feel overly weighty but that could just be me since it’s been ages since I played the first. Also, why has double tap been removed for dodge?!

Soldato
Binge played this last night, as the beta ends at 11am today. Was fun, but not sure on the longevity of it.

May pick it up, still thinking about it. I did enjoy the 4 or 5 hours. Totally different to anything I've played.

Soldato
Great last game of the beta.

Things I noticed:
Like larger games, auto-team balance is a PITA.
Defending against attackers is very hard. It's 75% losing when you are in the defence mode.
Not figured out how to run away from dudes in armour that are crazyyyyy faster than me with no armour when I am an archer lol. (This is game vs reality stuff).

Soldato
Not figured out how to run away from dudes in armour that are crazyyyyy faster than me with no armour when I am an archer lol. (This is game vs reality stuff).

In the previous version archers could run away fairly easily or at the least maintain distance. The Knight used to be a real tank whereas now he’s actually pretty quick.

In fact that’s my main critique of the beta, and I’ve only just come to realise it. The classes of old were distinct - Archer had ranged projectiles, Knight was a damage absorbing tank, Vanguard was fast and crazy damage dealing but no HP and then the footman was super lightweight up close and nimble fighter. Now all the classes have similar ranged weapons (archer not withstanding) and there feels little difference in HP or agility.

Soldato
Whilst I think about it, team damage - why the hell has this been turned right down? Part of the skill of large battles was directing the correct attack at your foe without chewing up your team mates. Not the case any more, it’s been super dumbed down :/

Soldato
Whilst I think about it, team damage - why the hell has this been turned right down? Part of the skill of large battles was directing the correct attack at your foe without chewing up your team mates. Not the case any more, it’s been super dumbed down :/

I only occasionally killed my fellow team mates as an archer. And yes, team damage seemed at around 25% of what it should do to the enemy. Perhaps too many people quit the game from being TK'd during 3 or more people taking out 1 enemy etc? I would agree with you, that as a player, that is part of the challenge. I honestly think a large part of the problem is it is very 'arcadey' in nature as a game. You run around in full plate, but this would be more than stamina draining in real life, it would exhaust you for significant periods of time. If people ever watch medieval fighting leagues, you will see really fit guys getting exhausted from a few minutes of fighting. Running and taking blows drains them to the point they want to throw up. This game is more "Battlefield" games, where you can jump off things like it's nothing (kinda). But.. it probably wouldn't be as fun, and wouldn't draw in the big numbers of players if they slowed it all down, and made rock formations etc difficult or impossible to climb in armor etc.

End of the day it's just another themed game. (Although, a little more realism would be fun, and forcing people to formations to protect themselves). The good players all seem to have something in common: They have figured out how to defend themselves properly against multiple foe.

It does feel very much like a missed opportunity where discipline and tactics would have worked awesome, but it's really just seems like a hack and slash free for all so far lol. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, and I stayed up till almost 3am playing the beta on the last day lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh I totally get it’s a stylised game - it’s just that the compromises they’ve made in order to get a larger audience in the sequel go against everything that made the original such a fun game to play.

It was very much a game that was easy to pick up and play, but would take a long time to truly master. You couldn’t just hold block down and let it auto block everything for you.

I’ll still pick up the new game on Tuesday, I just guess I had higher hopes. :)

Back
Top Bottom