Garden Furniture - Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Associate
After spending £1500 on a table and chairs, I bought a lounge set from Out & Out for less than half that. It was a bit of a faff to assemble but the quality is decent enough, especially for the price. There are often discount codes around making it even cheaper. :) Delivery was slow but communication was good.
I'll second this. I bought a nice corner set with table and bench two years ago and still looks very good.

Soldato
I bought some Alexander Rose wooden furniture last year and love it
I did have to buy a tarp sheet to cover it over the winter months though and can do with a bit of a clean now the weather is warming up

Soldato
I got pallets off gumtree for free.

I ended up getting loads more than what I needed as some will be dodgy and unusable.

I then spent a few hundred on Makita tools which will last me a lifetime and other projects.

Orbital sander. Circular saw. I went for corded as cheaper and more powerful than cordless plus I don't need to worry about batteries needing charged or replaced as I'll literally use the tools once every 2-3 years.

Few other bits and bobs like crowbars, etc. I already had a cheap semi decent drill / screwdriver.

Loads of wood screws and wood glue.

I then made 2 times 2 seater benches or 3 skinny People and a drinks table. It was pretty easy to make and I then sanded and painted it using cheapest largest shed paint out of B&M. I gave it 3 coats then left it a year and gave it another coat. I still have loads of paint left over. But I think it's at the stage where it will likely last forever and more coats aren't going to add much more in terms of protection.

That all went on the decking which already has a brick bench with wooden top. So enough seating for 6-10 people total and space for an additional 2 benches in future.

I also got some wrought iron table and 4 chairs off gumtree second hand for £40 and just got decent rustoleum paint and painted them to keep them protected. This went on the patio.

Total spend maybe £400 and I have tools that are worth majority of that budget which I can sell or keep on using in the future.

Paying for cheap crap like rattan Vs pallets which literally can hold hundreds of kg of weight no issues? No brainer to me. I can jump up and down on them.

I did buy large outdoor cushions to go on them from IKEA they were £20 or £40 each iirc. I store them in the garage when not in use. They are light and doesn't take much work to take them in and out when required. So the furniture is comfortable as the cushions are really thick.
This is the route I go down for most of my garden stuff, my ex made table and benches for me, I just helped paint and assemble, she has an industrial chop saw and impact drivers ect.
Thiese would hold a massive amount of weight, the tops are metal from a water tank
In a little bbq area we have really need to sort some tools out myself tbh cost about 50 quid

Screenshot-20210408-185151-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Caporegime
This is the route I go down for most of my garden stuff, my ex made table and benches for me, I just helped paint and assemble, she has an industrial chop saw and impact drivers ect.
Thiese would hold a massive amount of weight, the tops are metal from a water tank
In a little bbq area we have really need to sort some tools out myself tbh cost about 50 quid

Screenshot-20210408-185151-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Doesn't look like pallet wood to me. More likely reclaimed wood. Pallet wood is a lot thinner.

Caporegime
Nah its tanallised fence post wood
meant that we down the DIY path rather than pallet wood specifically, or buying new,

Oh ok.

Yeah you get a much better product DIY from scratch. I'll probably try and get another 10 pallets next year and make another 2 benches and another table. I have all the stuff I need to do them now in terms of tools, glue, screws and paint. I just need the time now so will be completely free to make bar time.

Man of Honour
Currently looking for a set, we have a healthy budget. Went to Burford and they wanted £2500 for a set we like but no delivery until September. I wouldn't mind so much if it was actually made in the UK but she let it slip they're waiting on shipping from China. So basically a massive markup.

https://www.burford.co.uk/outdoor-living/garden-furniture/

The whole shop had nice items but ridiculous markup, I think an Oak dining table was £3k, absolute joke.

Caporegime
Just had stock in
https://www.best-buys.co.uk/product-category/garden/

Used them 2 weeks ago, fantastic service and quality.

I was on a few various forums trying to find out why nobody has stock in for Rattan style furniture, a run last summer combined with shipping delays combined with stores not putting any January orders in as not wanting to sit on it for 4 months during Covid

Prices are eye watering.

It's literally worth the time and buying the tools to make your own using free wood or pallets.

Associate
...Nice DIY table...

This looks pretty good to me. The fence post idea is a good one and you know it'll be strong. I'm after a higher up bar type table hence why I dropped in the thread but now I'm tempted to just build one. I'll await the big pallet reveal as we have a friend who always has spare pallets going but to be honest I don't think they'd be right for something taller and skinnier. Better suited to benches in my mind.

Soldato
Club Rattan. I have the Isobella corner sofa and it is extremely comfy and has put up with a year of Scottish weather but still looks good. Ignore the prices on the website as they generally sell stuff at half that price.

How do you they usually discount if you suggest ignoring their prices?

We wanted the Ikea Solleron stuff, but they've been out of stock for months so i've given up any hope of getting it and just buying elsewhere.

Soldato
I may be a bit late here, but we bought a patio set in cast aluminium that came from https://www.hartmanuk.com/ Its 3 or 4 years old now. You don't need to cover it up in winter, all I've done each spring is go over it all with a bucket of soapy water and cloth to get the usual bird poo, cobwebs and other random muck off it. Its much lighter than the wooden set it replaced, so considerably easier to move around too.

Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom