BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Interesting - I rang Plusnet and they said if I move to BT for FTTP, they will waiver all early termination charges. They put me through to BT to discuss options and it looks like the earliest engineer slot available for the fibre install & commission would be early May. Full fibre 900 comes in at £60/m.

:D

Associate
Interesting - I rang Plusnet and they said if I move to BT for FTTP, they will waiver all early termination charges. They put me through to BT to discuss options and it looks like the earliest engineer slot available for the fibre install & commission would be early May. Full fibre 900 comes in at £60/m.

:D

Make sure you save all the correspondent emails etc., I just did this and made the switch from plusnet to BT 2 months back and was supposedly signed up fpr £49.99 per month but this month BT increased my priced to 62£, called BT and was a mess as the sales

person that signed me up from plusnet was from ee and I got a hard time explaining it to bt cs about the move.

BT cs said they will amend the contract and correct it but checking today it is still showing £62 for broadband, will need to call back bt again to sort this out.

Soldato
Anyone managed to split the bands on the Super Hub 2?

Our new printer won't connect and i'm wondering whether it's because we have combined wifi bands. I wanted to try separating them but everything i google suggests there should be an option just above the light blue 5ghz header, but i don't have it.

Zb0xZ0r.png

Soldato
Ah you're right, i've just re-read the help section of the BY website and it specifically excludes the Smart Hub 2

network by splitting your Hub's SSID.

Before you go ahead, check out our tips for improving your wi-fi at home >

Please note: the Smart Hub 2 doesn't have this capability as it's designed for use with Complete Wi-Fi.

Follow these steps to create another wireless network:

Caporegime
If a device can't cope with an SSID broadcasting in both bands then it's broken. I hate the split band thing as it's a workaround to paper over manufacturers who can't be bothered to test their products properly.

Soldato
some devices are single band only, and get confused by the smart hub2, all previous hubs could be set to two separate networks, older stuff sometimes connects to the wrong band, or fails to connect at all.

Caporegime
If stuff is single band only then those devices should have no knowledge of the 5GHz band existing, so there shouldn't be any problems. Without being able to sniff the handshake I guess what might be happening is the client is advertising that it is dual band when it's not, and the AP is trying to band steer it.

Associate
Looks like I just missed the recent BT Full Fibre 900 deal for £49.99/month, does anyone know how often these deals come up? I'm moving house in 2 weeks and wondering if there are other ways of getting a discount instead of paying the full fat £59.99/month

Soldato
So I switched to BT FTTP 900/110 and was activated yesterday. Via the SH2 getting about 250/50 and wifi 450/50.

This morning I have PPPOE straight to the ONT. This is the result:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11313994270.png

BT speedtest reports 930.8 mbps. I have never seen anywhere near that wired on any speedtest site. Ookla seems to report the slowest readings, starts off close to 890 mbps but steadily drops down to the speeds above.

Interestingly a single thread speedtest gives me a faster speed:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11314021205.png

The 50 upload is profile problem with the sh2 and doesn't really bother me as I will be using my USG. The download speed does, any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
So I switched to BT FTTP 900/110 and was activated yesterday. Via the SH2 getting about 250/50 and wifi 450/50.

This morning I have PPPOE straight to the ONT. This is the result:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11313994270.png

BT speedtest reports 930.8 mbps. I have never seen anywhere near that wired on any speedtest site. Ookla seems to report the slowest readings, starts off close to 890 mbps but steadily drops down to the speeds above.

Interestingly a single thread speedtest gives me a faster speed:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11314021205.png

The 50 upload is profile problem with the sh2 and doesn't really bother me as I will be using my USG. The download speed does, any ideas?

All sorted...dumped the rather rubbish SH2...unifi network connected and Raspberry Pi reports:

jMpI3x0m.jpg

Soldato
Im having the same problems as most people on the BT 900/110 i have had 2 engineers and there all acting as is rare when the BT community is riddled with same , Anyway 1 solution is replace the Smart hub 2 can any one help budget is £100 is know nothing about routers all i want it something that plugs into the ONT and im away after user name and password

would this work as plug and play to the ONT?

TP-LINK Archer AX10 Next-Gen WiFi 6 AX1500 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Cable Router

Associate
Well I had my Zen FTTP 900 service installed last week and while I've not had too much chance to experiment, it seems very impressive.

Vn5XqXE.png

There was one niggle in that because Openreach need to situate a consumer access box outside the property and there was only one real location that could go without looking terrible, I couldn't have it installed into the garage where I had hoped (and built a data cab around)

I ended up running ethernet from the installation point back up the route the fibre comes down the front of my house and into the loft where I have ethernet going back to the cab. Not a big deal, but it does mean I need another UPS to keep the ONT online. I figured it was worth mentioning, as had I known this I could have planned better before the install.

Caporegime
The CSP has to be in a place that is accessible without you needing to unlock a door, this is so Openreach can work on the external network without you needing to schedule to be home.

Soldato
I have a BT engineer coming tomorrow to install our BT line and ONT, where do people recommend installing the main fibre line?
Where you want it. How should we know.
My outdoor one (grey box) is next to the gas meter.
My ONT is next to my network cabinet under the stairs where I fitted it as I asked the engineer of I could do it, I just passed him the other end of the internal cable.

Back
Top Bottom