Riding with Foot drop

Soldato
So I tried to look around for this but it's very hard to find a definitive answer.

I want to buy a 125 and get a CBT and begin riding, i'm 34.

However, my left foot is paralysed and when shifting gears I have to pick up my leg to shift up and shifting down is easy just press down on it.

I tested on my old mans bike and was able to change gears fine but I was wondering are there any kind of weird requirements to pass the CBT? could a disability such as this disqualify you? or is it just about the fact you can actually ride properly?

I can shift totally fine (I'm probably gonna need extra practise to get it perfect though) I just do it using my leg rather than ankle.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
You can take the CBT on a scooter instead. You can still ride a geared bike even if you do.

Really?

I'd probably do that instead and just buy a geared bike and learn along quiet road near me. The CBT course I think hire is included in the price so I can just ask for a scooter?

Man of Honour
Really?

I'd probably do that instead and just buy a geared bike and learn along quiet road near me. The CBT course I think hire is included in the price so I can just ask for a scooter?
Yep. I took it on a geared bike but this is what my instructor told me last October. He offered me the scooter but I wanted to try the gears. The other person on my course took it on a scooter. I'd call the CBT school in advance to make sure they have a scooter available for you on the day.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...to-pass-you-cbt-learner-motorcycling-l-plates

10. If I do my CBT on an automatic scooter, can I then ride a geared bike?

Bizarrely, the answer is yes, although we’d obviously recommend that you take some extra training on the geared bike to make things easier. There is currently legislation going through government that looks set to change this though, in the future you may need to take a geared or automatic CBT, dependant on the bike you wish to ride.

EDIT: Yes the cost of the CBT includes the use of a bike. So opt for the scooter and then learn on a geared 125 in your own time.

EDIT 2: I assume you mean that you can't move your foot but can lift your leg up (but don't have to actually lift your leg by hand). If that's the case then I would highly recommend discussing boots with a good motorcycle clothing shop. They may be able to recommend a good boot which is very stiff and might help. If you're anywhere near Guildford (unlikely I know) then I can highly recommend Motolegends. They are certainly not the cheapest shop around but I can highly recommend the personal service when fitting my helmet - so I expect they would be able to discuss boots at considerable length with you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not familiar with foot drop, but did you try your old man's bike with trainers on? Shifting up with trainers is always difficult, motorcycle boots are much stiffer to make this easier - if you haven't already done so then give it a try with your old man's boot on for comparison.

If your issue is only with shifting up, and you can walk and put weight on your foot as normal, you will be absolutely be able to ride a motorcycle like any other person through the use of a Powershifter shifter mechanism, but will require this to be added to your motorcycle if/when you get your licence. I think you may have an issue in finding a school who can accommodate with this from day one though.

I think your first port of call should be to try shifting with a motorcycle boot on if you haven't already. You don't need much force on the lever to change gear with boots on, particularly when in motion, so you may find you can ride effectively without a modified motorcycle.

Soldato
Speak with the instructors before you go to CBT and see what they say. Many will have experience in training riders with limitations and will be able to accommodate such things on the day so long as they know about it in advance. You might find even you get a 'private' one-on-one training session.

Soldato
If you would prefer to have it reversed you can also buy mechanisms to do that too if it would help you. I.e. If you would rather have it so that pushing down changed up through the gears, that's how race bikes are setup.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My instructor had some mobility issues (from a crash, ex-police biker) and it didn't affect him.

Tbh on a CBT you're basically only judged to "fail" if you cant keep it on the road/training ground and/or manage to kill someone. I'm sure if you can ride to the required standard they wouldn't care. Hell, even in the Mod1 you're only required to push the bike in to a parking space so if you could do that without issues (and can change gears) I don't see the issue.

Speak to someone to confirm.

Soldato
So to change gear up, you have to move your whole leg up, taking all weight off the footpeg?

I mean..... I say this with the best possible intent but please make sure you feel comfortable riding while doing that, as you will be shifting your weight and center of gravity around. Motorcycles are one of the few things you can still get your hand on these days that will easily kill you.

Soldato
I mean..... I say this with the best possible intent but please make sure you feel comfortable riding while doing that, as you will be shifting your weight and center of gravity around. Motorcycles are one of the few things you can still get your hand on these days that will easily kill you.
Have you never said 'hello' to a European biker, then?
That's where you pass on their left side and, instead of lifting your left hand in greeting, you stick out your right foot. Easy enough to do without upsetting the bike once you're doing more than 5mph...

Soldato
Have you never said 'hello' to a European biker, then?
That's where you pass on their left side and, instead of lifting your left hand in greeting, you stick out your right foot. Easy enough to do without upsetting the bike once you're doing more than 5mph...

Is it easy enough to do when it's dark, raining you can't see **** all because there are no street lights and all you can see is the reflection of the incoming cars headlights in your visor and hit a pot hole you didn't see?

That's a **** example mate.

Soldato
I haven't a clue how lifting a foot can cause a bike to become unstable. I've plenty of experience lifting my feet off the pegs whether sat down or stood up. Can you explain?

Soldato
Is it easy enough to do when it's dark, raining you can't see **** all because there are no street lights and all you can see is the reflection of the incoming cars headlights in your visor and hit a pot hole you didn't see?
You what?
That is a ridiculous example and you'd never choose that exact moment to change gear even if every inch of your body worked normally...

However, barring hitting a pothole - YES. It's plenty easy to do even under the circumstances you describe.
I'm guessing you've never ridden long enough to need a leg stretch.... I can quite easily lift either or even both legs off the pegs, bend my knees right up toward the bars and then straighten them right out like a starfish if I wanted to, even at 70mph.
It really is not difficult to do.

Associate
As long as you can control the bike then you should pass the CBT, you might not be able to borrow one of the test centre bikes if you need any adaptions made. Its worth talking to the test centre to see what adjustments can be made to make things easier for you. You could look at fitting a heel/toe shifter which would allow you to change up using the heel of your foot so you only need to push down for both changes. If you check out NABD you'll be amazed at the adaptions that can be made to allow people with disabilities to continue riding.

Back
Top Bottom