** The pfSense Users Thread **

Caporegime
If you do a packet capture at the same time as Plex is doing its remote access check you'll be able to see exactly where the checks are coming from.

Soldato
One lovely little gotcha for anyone with a Plex server. This applies to some other firewalls, not just pfSense.

I noticed that I couldn't connect directly to my local Plex server. It would timeout then, after a pause, connect indirectly via a relay. Viewing the server in settings showed "Indirect" against it. Bizarre.

Turns out this happens if the client from which you're accessing has its DNS server set to the pfSense box. You'll find many people saying the solution to this is to change the client's DNS settings to go straight to external DNS servers but that's circumventing the problem rather than solving it and could cause other problems.

After much digging, it turns out the actual issue is down to DNS Rebinding protection. The solution is to go to Services -> DNS Resolver, scroll down to the Custom Options and enter the following:

server:
private-domain: "plex.direct"

This will solve the problem.

Soldato
Well, I've been using PfSense for a good few years now but have recently (2 days ago) installed Untangle in a VM just to try it out. I think I may make the switch permanently tbh. Untangle and PiHole just seem to click nicely.:p

Associate
Is anyone here running gbit over PPPoE on pfSense?

My J1900 based unit seems to cap out around 600mbps, so I bought an APU2 to replace it and that caps out at 250mbps.

It seems there's some issue with PPPoE and Intel IG nics, but not much information about what does work.

Associate
Is anyone here running gbit over PPPoE on pfSense?

My J1900 based unit seems to cap out around 600mbps, so I bought an APU2 to replace it and that caps out at 250mbps.

It seems there's some issue with PPPoE and Intel IG nics, but not much information about what does work.
Yes, I had to ditch my Netgate SG-3100 as it capped the speed at 700mbits due to the FreeBSD PPPoE single thread issue.

Soldato
Trying to setup LAGG on my pfSense install but not sure on the sequencing I need to do to get it working.

I’m setting it up in advance to minimise downtime when I pull my USG and put the pfSense in. The hardware I have pfSense on only has 3 NICs. Onboard (em0) and 2 via a PCIe card (igb0 and igb1). I ultimately want to have igb0 and 1 in the LAGG but I’ve set it to only have one for now just to get it setup.

When using just one port initially and I plug a laptop into it, I can no longer access the pfSense interface. Does LAGG only work via a switch? What’s the best sequence to follow to get LAGG working given my limited number of ports?

Associate
Today's mini project, get PIA working with pfsense and policy routing - a little bit of faff, tried some MTU and buffer tuning also - working great now. 160Mb down, 50Mb up from the VPN to Amsterdam on a 1Gb/50Mb Virgin Gig1 connection - happy with that.

Soldato
I've got pfsense running on an ProtectLi 6 port box which runs epic. Also butchered that to run my UniFi controller, but I might get a cloud key so I can start to make use of their Protect range like the new Pro door bell

Back
Top Bottom