OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
Social eating is effective. Not with us, but at nursery. He eats a lot better with other kids.
Can absolutely relate to this. Our eldest daughter is a pain in the backside when it comes to eating - very similar to the hurdle you describe.. but sit her down with her cousin and whatever he eats, she does too.. and "its my favourite" is all we hear.

Also found that if she gets to "help" prepare the food she is more likely to say she enjoys it.. most of the time we've found its psychological warfare rather than any underlying health issues.. between 2 & 4 kids push the boundaries like mad :rolleyes:

Soldato
Another thing we choose is zero treats from others. Only we give him treats and it's made clear it's a treat after he's eaten everything else all day and been a good boy, we don't do it every day so it doesn't become a daily thing.

When I say treats as well it's unsalted nuts, he loves peanuts and cashews, fried plantains that sort of thing.

Caporegime
No sugary stuff. It’s usually Weetabix he asks for.

He’s never gone 24 hours. It’s usually just dinner. The thing is he will eat at least 3 Weetabix in the morning, 4 sometimes, so he does have an appetite, but it’s not very varied.

I'd say that's too much personally for breakfast. Breakfast being the most important meal of the day is also a myth. It's dinner which replinishes your glycogen stores for the following day. You do all your growing at night. So I'd definitely be restricting breakfast to two Weetabix and see how he then gets on with lunch and dinner. I also wouldn't be giving him Weetabix for lunch again.

Proposing he eat Weetabix 3 meals per day would be mental IMO. It's not a complete and varied diet.

Another thing we choose is zero treats from others. Only we give him treats and it's made clear it's a treat after he's eaten everything else all day and been a good boy, we don't do it every day so it doesn't become a daily thing.

When I say treats as well it's unsalted nuts, he loves peanuts and cashews, fried plantains that sort of thing.

Yeah I'm going to have to refuse sending mine over to the in laws ever. Father in law gives all his grandkids chocolate, Nutella toast on demand and sugary drinks, etc.

It's fine in moderation but not every day.

Soldato
I'd say that's too much personally for breakfast. Breakfast being the most important meal of the day is also a myth. It's dinner which replinishes your glycogen stores for the following day. You do all your growing at night. So I'd definitely be restricting breakfast to two Weetabix and see how he then gets on with lunch and dinner. I also wouldn't be giving him Weetabix for lunch again.

Proposing he eat Weetabix 3 meals per day would be mental IMO. It's not a complete and varied diet.

Yeah I'm going to have to refuse sending mine over to the in laws ever. Father in law gives all his grandkids chocolate, Nutella toast on demand and sugary drinks, etc.

It's fine in moderation but not every day.
I asked both our parents to stop with sweets, I said he's happy with nuts and vegetable crisps why are you giving him chocolate all the time.

He gets chocolate very infrequently, we don't really give him any of his own he just has some when we're having some, which is rare.
If you put chocolate and nuts out at the same time hell grab the nuts first.
He considers cherry tomatoes a treat as well so most days he has a few of them halved on a bowl he helps himself to along with some cucumber. He also likes shreddies as a treat the ones with fruit in. Certainly better than sweets just dry.

At the end of the day there animals they'll eat what's there when they're hungry enough. It's about making it at pleasant as possible while only giving them what you want them to have.

Soldato
Our 5 year old can have sweets every day if she wants... I even let her dish out her own portions. What she does have to do is show me how much she's got and if it's too much then she loses a whole load of sweets. This way she's learning to self regulate the bad food.

She knows lots about food in general and what is good or bad in simple terms and she's also happy to snack on fruit and veg all day long. We need a bigger fridge to fit all the cucumber, mango and melon in :D
I feel (right or wrong) that with this approach, she's not being denied any particular food but she's also learning what is a good or bad amount. You could give her a whole heap of chocolate and she'd only eat a couple of bits until she moves on to some fruit and veg.

Soldato
No2 arrived yesterday and when we got him home, the response from no1 just broke me down to tears. So welcoming, affectionate and polite. Lad.

72Bi15d.jpg

Oh Rob, congratulations mate to you and your missus!!! It's surreal when you've got more than one. I'm glad to see the golden hotpants weren't so tight as to cause problems haha

Don
For Dads of older children (not adults but still older), what age did you find they sort of "switched off" from the more traditional creative play toys (Lego, Playmobil, matchbox cars) and have preferences for electronics instead?

We limit screen time for our eldest of 9 years old, but he seems disinterested in most of his toys these days. If his little brother gets some cars or Playmobil out to play with, eventually he'll usually come and join in but he won't actively seek them out himself. I don't know if its normal to start moving away from toys at this age or not.

Soldato
For Dads of older children (not adults but still older), what age did you find they sort of "switched off" from the more traditional creative play toys (Lego, Playmobil, matchbox cars) and have preferences for electronics instead?

We limit screen time for our eldest of 9 years old, but he seems disinterested in most of his toys these days. If his little brother gets some cars or Playmobil out to play with, eventually he'll usually come and join in but he won't actively seek them out himself. I don't know if its normal to start moving away from toys at this age or not.

Our first son (5 going on 15) has already done this. He has a whole loft bedroom full of his toys, lego, wooden train sets and games but he never plays up there unless me or the wife go up there. We limit his ipad time too but then he just mopes about and we suggest he do things in his room otherwise it's just drawing and art in the dining room table. Frustrating some times but glad it's warming up now as we can go out more.

Soldato
Our first son (5 going on 15) has already done this. He has a whole loft bedroom full of his toys, lego, wooden train sets and games but he never plays up there unless me or the wife go up there. We limit his ipad time too but then he just mopes about and we suggest he do things in his room otherwise it's just drawing and art in the dining room table. Frustrating some times but glad it's warming up now as we can go out more.
I thinks it normal, one of our neighbours kids is of a similar age (9-10) and I rarely see him playing outside much as he got an xbox. My daughter who is 7 does like watching YouTube so I do try and limit that as it can't be good (for my sanity:cry:).

Soldato
Our 5 year old prefers a nintendo switch to a toy, but then our 2 year old prefers a toy to the switch. The 5 year old has always struggled to play on his own or find his own entertainment, but the 2 year old has always found it quite easy and prefers to spend time in the garden watering the plants and playing on his bike. Kids can be quite subjective, so no hard and fast rule imo.

Soldato
Hi guys, I am just about to sign the contract for a child minder. Fees are £7/hour and contract is for 37 hours between 8am-5:15pm Mon-Thurs. I'm ok with this and it is "all inclusive" of the gear she needs any outings. However, it may as well be a PCP deal on a car... I have to pay even whilst they are on their 4 week holiday, and even if I give 4 weeks notice I get no adjustment to fees. Is this normal?

Soldato
Hi guys, I am just about to sign the contract for a child minder. Fees are £7/hour and contract is for 37 hours between 8am-5:15pm Mon-Thurs. I'm ok with this and it is "all inclusive" of the gear she needs any outings. However, it may as well be a PCP deal on a car... I have to pay even whilst they are on their 4 week holiday, and even if I give 4 weeks notice I get no adjustment to fees. Is this normal?
I wouldn't be happy with that, why do you have to pay for their time even if they aren't doing anything?

Soldato
Currently sat in the hospital awaiting news on a potential early labour at 35 weeks.

COVID-19 rules make it a lot harder on the partner I must say.

Welp. Officially a father now, since 7:10am. That was unexpectedly quick. Got in at 4:30am just as a caution but he clearly had enough and wanted out.

Baby currently in neonatal on CPAP as he’s so early, just needs a little help but otherwise fine.

Soldato
Welp. Officially a father now, since 7:10am. That was unexpectedly quick. Got in at 4:30am just as a caution but he clearly had enough and wanted out.

Baby currently in neonatal on CPAP as he’s so early, just needs a little help but otherwise fine.
Great news, congrats!

Back
Top Bottom