Buying from auction

Associate
Hi all

Anyone care to share their experience from buying a car from auction? Looking at a budget of around 10k for a 3-5 year old Audi A4/A5 or similar. Obviously will be looking at higher mileage examples with that budget so wondering if I can pick up an ex lease or company car at auction and save some money?

BCA do online auctions at present but are trade only, which I'm not.

https://www.bca.co.uk/auction-centres/preston/

Thanks

Man of Honour
You want to buy a 2017-18 A4 for 10k?!

I think you need to dial back your expectations a bit. You are probably going to have to settle for the old 2008-16 model for this budget.

Soldato
I used to a while back but the ones local to me now are all traders only, used to go to quite a large one at Newark.

I bought a damaged 24v Probe for quite a bit under a grand about 12 or so years ago (most of them were listed in Auto Trader for £2.5k+), repaired the headlight and got the rest sprayed up and ran it a few years.

I don't think there's many bargains to be had anymore, it all seems to be mechanics looking for a quick turnaround as even my mate who I used to go with who had a garage has stopped as he doesn't think it's worth the hassle any longer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've 'found' most of the cars I've bought via Ebay. Realistically, it's just a way to put you in touch with a garage / person that's selling the car. Often I've found if you look at the garages own website - the car is actually advertised a bit cheaper.

I have bought a few lower end cars via auction. But I wouldn't be risking anything over a couple of grand on a auction.

Soldato
I used to enjoy buying cars at auction, but only jalopys. You're a much braver man than I to drop that sort of money at auction.

Associate
OP
Surely you want a nice car not just an Audi badge? That's an absolute bottom of the range thing?

True, would prefer an S line or Black edition. My budget is around 10k so could stretch further if required.

Looking at the BCA auction website they have mostly newer cars with plenty of Audi and other marques.

Give some suggestions for something apart from a "boring Audi" :)

Soldato
My first two cars and both my wife's cars were bought at auction. My Dads always bought from auction until his last motor. These are all sub £7k card. Touch wood we've never had a issues. Nowadays there too many traders and the days of getting a bargain are gone. If spending 10k and your after a specific make/model/extras I probably wouldn't bother. Especially for a more premium marque where repair costs could be steep.

Soldato
Being in the motor trade and knowing a lot of car traders; the majority of cars go to auction when they're broken. When the car can't be fixed cheaply enough to sell it for profit it gets bodged and sent to auction.
Unless you expect the worse and have money for repairs, don't bother.

Associate
My father in law bought us a forester 2009 from an auction with 90k on the clock for £2k. It broke down on the way back from the auction! Cost as much again to get it working, and its still a dog. Avoid the high mileage I guess I'm saying.

Case in point from the post above ;)

Soldato
Your dreaming if you think your gonna get a bargain on BCA. Most cars/vans worth anything are going over book value! I buy VW transporters off there and pay over book everytime. The second hand market has gone insane!

I'll also add, BCA is the place most ex lease stuff goes to and UKCGA auctions on there (I think that's the name) is we buy any car

Soldato
Best is buying from a trade seller with warranty. (Most basic warranties aren't worth the paper their written on though).
Private seller would be cheaper, but no warranty and no come back.
I've no idea what the A4/A5 of that age are worth, but sounds like you're stretching your budget too much. Why not look for a better example older model?

Back
Top Bottom