Car choices

Soldato
I know I tend to be a bit indecisive on these things, but I'm looking at trading in my e92 m3. I'm looking at 4wd/awd/whatever other acronym there is. I am looking at an rs6/7 or panamera and wondered how they compared. My budget is around 40 as I reckon part ex on mine would be 18-20k. I'm trying to find out maintenance costs on the above cars but that's proving to be rather tricky. I'm looking at 2013/14 models as this gets me into the face-lifted panamer. I've found 400hp and 4wd does really give much options for some reason, almost like it's a niche market or something:cry:.

OcUK Staff
400HP in such class of a vehicle and that age as daft as it sounds is probably too little hence why your struggling to find vehicles, I think Audi RS6 of that era was 500-600HP, Porsche suspect is not too far behind. Widen the horsepower range and more cars might come up.

Soldato
I know I tend to be a bit indecisive on these things, but I'm looking at trading in my e92 m3. I'm looking at 4wd/awd/whatever other acronym there is. I am looking at an rs6/7 or panamera and wondered how they compared. My budget is around 40 as I reckon part ex on mine would be 18-20k. I'm trying to find out maintenance costs on the above cars but that's proving to be rather tricky. I'm looking at 2013/14 models as this gets me into the face-lifted panamer. I've found 400hp and 4wd does really give much options for some reason, almost like it's a niche market or something:cry:.
As @Gibbo says, more choice with more horses. You will struggle to find an engine as good as your non-turbo but they are out there.

Soldato
OP
I guessing because 400bhp is a lot to put through 2 wheels.
Yep, in the small snow period we had I managed a powerslide everyday without trying (or expecting it), it's a pain in the arse when accelerating in anything other than bone dry conditions. When I said 400hp I meant at a minimum;). I've got kids too, which is why I'd like that size (I'd sticky with a 4wd m3, but not sure they're out yet and they're well out my price range). Waiting for someone to say don't treat the accelerator as digital:cry:. Also the reason I'd not seen e43s is due to only having 396hp, my filter on pistonheads was for 400:p to stop golf Rs and the like from appearing. Also (and this is first world problems) I don't know if I'd find the e43 too slow, as the m3 is a bit lacking sometimes (my last car was twin turbo so had loads more torque).

Last edited:
Soldato
E43 is plenty fast for me but I do 'lust' after an M3/M4. It is only mildly performance orientated versus being the all out performance model. If you can stretch, I imagine the E53 or E63 is where you'd prefer to be.

Associate
RS7 is an amazing car. Part costs are bad though, to be expected....
Edit: Appreciate it is around £10 - £15k over budget, but the E63s is an incredible car! Incredibly hard to beat for the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
An SUV won’t handle well, coming from an M3. The RS6 goes like a rocket ship, and is about the size of one, but will handle better than a SUV.

Do you need the size of an A6? I love mine, but it is slightly overkill for my needs (family of 3). It’s also well insulated, but that means from thrills too... you find yourself reaching silly speeds all too easily. I’ve recently decided 600hp for purely road driving is too much, I’m thinking of slimming down in size and power, might hold on to my license better too.

Soldato
OP
Indeed, the tyres and tyre width is far more significant than the maximum power of a car.
It might be but I went round the same corner as s guy in a 4wd diesel volvo and he had no issues. I also had no issues when doing it in my old 911 (which was 4wd). I'd just like the safety net. I'd go rs4/5, however they're models are just that bit newer which means they're right at the top of the budget. Although I guess running costs would be lower.

Caporegime
It might be but I went round the same corner as s guy in a 4wd diesel volvo and he had no issues. I also had no issues when doing it in my old 911 (which was 4wd). I'd just like the safety net. I'd go rs4/5, however they're models are just that bit newer which means they're right at the top of the budget. Although I guess running costs would be lower.
He might be on mud and snow tyres, likely thinner too.

Man of Honour

There is no might about it, 4wd alone let's you spin 4 low profile uhp tyres instead of just spinning 2.

If ability to get around in snow is sufficiently important to you to influence your choice of car then you need a set of winter tyres, it really is that simple.

Plenty of video footage on the news of people in stuck BMW SUVs - on 4 low profile runflat tyres.

Meanwhile I was able to drive a 6 series to the top of a ski resort in the snow. Because it had winter tyres.

Caporegime
There is no might about it, 4wd alone let's you spin 4 low profile uhp tyres instead of just spinning 2.

If ability to get around in snow is sufficiently important to you to influence your choice of car then you need a set of winter tyres, it really is that simple.

Plenty of video footage on the news of people in stuck BMW SUVs - on 4 low profile runflat tyres.

Meanwhile I was able to drive a 6 series to the top of a ski resort in the snow. Because it had winter tyres.

Indeed, in Scandinavian countries they say that 2wd with snow tyres > 4wd on summer everytime.

Modern low profile tyres are the worse for winter which is why you see old cars like citreon 2cv scooting around in the snow fine while pimped BMX X5s and Range Rovers on 22" rims struggle

Back
Top Bottom