• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
All of them are last gen and before gen games? So the file size are nothing like the new ones.

What new ones are you referring to? Most games are cross-gen, there aren't many exclusives currently. Cyberpunk 2077, Far Cry 5 and Metro Exodus are comparable to games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Hitman 3 and Watch Dogs: Legion.

Call of Duty is the exception to the rule, most games aren't even close in terms of file size.

Soldato
What are people using for external storage solution? I knew the games files are large but boy, they are LARGE. 2 games installed (Forza Horizon 4 and Outriders and i am already like 25% full).

Without going the whole £220, what's the typical combo? A 2TB external HDD for last gen games? Or something faster like a 1TB SSD.

I am using a 2tb WD passport drive, refurbished from WD website. You can also cold store next gen games as well.

Soldato
What are people using for external storage solution? I knew the games files are large but boy, they are LARGE. 2 games installed (Forza Horizon 4 and Outriders and i am already like 25% full).

Without going the whole £220, what's the typical combo? A 2TB external HDD for last gen games? Or something faster like a 1TB SSD.

1TB external HD on my X and a 750GB HD on the S.

Ideally I would want the SSD expansion card for both but can't justify the cost at the moment. For now I just move games around as required when I want to play them (assuming that I want the improved loading times for that specific game / game can only be played from the internal drive).

As it stands I have ~15 games installed on the S (internal drive) and ~ 30 on the X. I should note however that I don't have the likes of COD or Halo installed on the S as I can play them on my PC instead if I want to capture game footage or stream (or from the X if I can be bothered to bring it upstairs and hook it all in to my capture card).

My S as it stands right now:

Internal

6tsiu44l.png.jpg

External

l5Ruka2l.png.jpg

Soldato
I've got a 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD for my Series X. The external SSD is used to run older games while the HDD is used as cold storage for some games that I'm waiting for DLC for, e.g. AC Valhalla, and for simple games such as the current Lego crop.

Soldato

I'm using a 1TB WD Blue NVME with my Series X, it worked out around £100 with a USB/Type-C caddy on Black Friday last year. No much different to a normal 2.5" SSD back then.

I'm saving my MS reward points for the 1TB expansion card, i'm @ 145k so far, so some way to go yet.

Last edited:
Soldato

I just went with the Seagate Series X Expansion card - you can pick them up anywhere from £160-190 currently if you look around.

I do have a 2TB SSD sat in my PS4 Pro but don't want to have to reinstall everything when I want to use it again so left it in there.

Associate
In the last month alone through discounted gift cards, i have added £255 to my MS account at the cost of £197.32.

Waiting for any price drop on the expansion drive before i bite, any stock for the Wireless Headset but i am now thinking i'll go with the Corsair HS75 for £131.

Soldato

Looks way better than the EBL what I got now, question is will it work on Series S controllers?

Of course it will but I not sure I want to buy a product from a company who doesnt think the S exists.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/452...HAT:alternatives:4527699:pynhVXJssebrIq9JyY6K

this one ok, but no white version for white S controllers.

Soldato
I've never understood the storage issue. PC gamers seldom install the entire contents of their Steam library, just the games they intend to play in the foreseable future, surely the same applies here? I have a myriad of games installed on my Series X with about 200GB to spare. I tend to finish a game and uninstall it to make way for something else, it's not rocket science!

The only exception I can see is if you have a bandwidth cap or slow internet connection.

Totally agree. Even if running out of space, if you are using the game pass and xbox apps you can start a game install before you go to bed or when at work and its ready next time you turn on the xbox. Its absolutely brilliant.

Caporegime
I'm crying at the storage on my series X lol. It's full, and I've only got about 6 games installed internally, two of which being CoD (Cold War and Warzone) which take up a huge amount of space. The others are AC:Odyssey, Hitman 3, Forza Horizon 4 and few smaller games like the Touryst.

Caporegime
I'm crying at the storage on my series X lol. It's full, and I've only got about 6 games installed internally, two of which being CoD (Cold War and Warzone) which take up a huge amount of space. The others are AC:Odyssey, Hitman 3, Forza Horizon 4 and few smaller games like the Touryst.

Forza 4 is over 80G, that game came out in 2018? It won't run off external SSD either.

Soldato
Still no MS headphones on their store. General supply of any of their products is so shoddy...

Not to have a pop, but:

1) Supply new consoles and accessories is always constrained. This is not new.

2) There’s a global pandemic, so yeah, bad times

3) Every man and their dog wants silicon for their products. We’re at the “oh ****” we need more capacity moment…and diversity in production. Always amazes that we’ve all created this industry in China yet countries are quick to accuse them of all kinds of things…which are probably true.

Back
Top Bottom