Do I need a multi tool?

Soldato
I've seen these new fangled tools becoming more popular and wondered if it was worth adding one to my DeWalt xr armoury of cordless tools.

Are they mostly used for fiddly bits of sanding?

Associate
I rarely use the sander attachment. I use the metal cutting bit for cutting nails/pipes etc in situ. I also use the wood cutting bit to make punge cuts for sockets/pipes in plasterboard of through floorboards. They are also handy for under cutting door frames when fitting laminate. It's not a tool I use very often, but when I need it nothing else will do the job. I have an old Bosch Green one which is OK, I'm an XR user too, but I don't use this enough to justify buying one.

Dave

Soldato
Even just for that one time you need it, yes. I use mine for sanding more than anything else. Altho I'm privileged to have lots of wooden sash windows that need constant care :(

Soldato
I've not got a fancy branded one, but I got he Parkside Lidl special, and a load of extra attachments for less than £25, it is one of the most handy tools I've ever had. I especially like the flat/scraping plate, and the larger cutting tool, the small saw blade is also useful for detail that isn't Dremel level in size.

Soldato
I've not got a fancy branded one, but I got he Parkside Lidl special, and a load of extra attachments for less than £25, it is one of the most handy tools I've ever had. I especially like the flat/scraping plate, and the larger cutting tool, the small saw blade is also useful for detail that isn't Dremel level in size.
Yeah I had an aldi or lidl one and it was useful.

I "upgraded" to the makita cordless one as the rest of my tools are cordless, but the aldi one works fine.

Man of Honour

I also have that and it's been really handy. Like you I also bought extra fittings for it and have removed grout, tiles, cut tiles, cut pipes in situ that I otherwise wouldn't be able to get a hacksaw on, cutouts in door frames, cut plasterboard for electric sockets to be fitted and cut sheared off screws flush to the surface. No doubt I will find other jobs for it as well. The hoover attachment is essential for grout removal but I wouldn't use a ordinary hoover as it will probably clog up. I have a Parkside wet/dry hoover with fittings for power tools.

Soldato
They are ideal in tricky situations, most of the time I will reach for another tool but sometimes the multi tool offers something different like others explain above.

Man of Honour
I've never used the sanding bit, used for getting into bits other tools don't.
I've go tan electric Bosch but waiting for the cordless ALDI Ferrex one to come back into stock then I'll store it away with all my other named tools.

Soldato
Dewalt here and as above its bloody useful for those little bits like floorboards and skirting boards. I'm lazy and use mine for sanding quite regularly and it saves a load of time before having to get in with the fiddly bits by hand.

Soldato
Dewalt here and as above its bloody useful for those little bits like floorboards and skirting boards. I'm lazy and use mine for sanding quite regularly and it saves a load of time before having to get in with the fiddly bits by hand.
Have you found a decent pad yet? Ended up with cheap and expensive but they all seem to heat up and the Velcro disappears. Partly user error I know but sometimes I plead innocence that it was my fault...

Back
Top Bottom