New motherboard + CPU - do i need to do a “repair” windows install???

Soldato
As title. Only running barebones and basic testing at the moment but all seems to be fine after installing a new motherboard and cpu. Windows 10 on an nvme just plugged in and that’s it, not added my other drives etc yet.

However I’ve seen people say you should always do a fresh install of windows 10 if doing what I’ve done. I really, really do not want to do that. Got lots of programs, apps and widgets that would take me days to get back up and running. I’ve also seen you can do a ‘repair’ install of windows 10 instead and that keeps all your progs and data intact, as described here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

however, do I really need to do that either? Anyone any recent experience of swapping out a motherboard and just letting windows do its thing? Did it go ok and all work fine without having to do any of the above for you? If it helps I was on an intel platform before, gone x99 5930k to an 11700 on an msi b560 Torpedo.

Soldato
On Windows XP, you had to do a clean install
On Windows 7, you often had to do a clean install
On Windows 10, you rarely have to do a clean install

As you went Intel -> Intel, there is even less chance of needing clean install than if you went Intel -> AMD or vice-versa.

It would be advisable to fully uninstall all of the driver/app that would have been installed with our old board, and install the latest drivers/apps for the new board, as there might be one from the old board which works but is not fully optimised for the newer chipset/CPU.

I might consider booting into safe mode after, deleting all drivers, and then rebooting to let Windows reinstall everything cleanly, not leaving anything behind from the old board.

Soldato
OP
On Windows XP, you had to do a clean install
On Windows 7, you often had to do a clean install
On Windows 10, you rarely have to do a clean install

As you went Intel -> Intel, there is even less chance of needing clean install than if you went Intel -> AMD or vice-versa.

It would be advisable to fully uninstall all of the driver/app that would have been installed with our old board, and install the latest drivers/apps for the new board, as there might be one from the old board which works but is not fully optimised for the newer chipset/CPU.

I might consider booting into safe mode after, deleting all drivers, and then rebooting to let Windows reinstall everything cleanly, not leaving anything behind from the old board.

Solid advice there thanks v much.
Do you know much about this repair install/ upgrade in place option I mentioned and linked above? I’ve not done it before but it sounds easy enough.

also when you say go into safe mode and delete all drivers, which Drivers specifically do you mean?

Soldato
I have never done a repair install.

As for drivers, basically anything linked to a device that has been replaced, so any motherboard chipset device, onboard audio/LAN/graphics/storage controller/USB/etc. You shouldn't need to really unless you start seeing anything behaving abnormally, or performing poorly, this is where I would look.

Back
Top Bottom