Porch Build Delayed

Associate
Hi everyone, we obtained planning permission for a new front porch over 5 years ago. We did leave it a while as other things became priority such as a rear extension, larger car and a driveway (being close to a school).

We got planning permission for our porch, which was required as the internal area was more than the permitted development. Our council area allows the build to go ahead if within 5 years of the original planning application approval.

This has now expired, but we really want it done. Is it likely that the council would really pick at the time frame?

My nextdoor neighbour is building a rear extension which is larger than permitted development and haven't had any planning approval at all, so it seems people don't take any notice anyway?

Soldato
No-one can really advise on what the council might and might not do.

Ultimately you take the gamble, if you go ahead and the council play funny buggers then they could impose a fine or even order you to knock it down.

Associate
My father in law got planning permission for an extension and just did the footings then left it years before he actually built it. Could you get away saying that?

Associate
OP
Interesting thought, what worries me is if for some reason they may take aerial photos of an area.

The time expired april 2020, but I suppose I could argue the build was about to start but covid meant it got put on hold?

Soldato
Might be worth contacting the council. When we've been doing planning applications up here time frames have been extended because of covid since contractors weren't able to do things unless it was under the essential category. You could argue you were going to start work last year then all the uncertainty put you off. See if they're lenient on that front. I dunno how it works in Wales but normally you have a form to fill out for your start of works so Chucking in your foundations might be pointless if you haven't notified the council prior to starting.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. No, nothing to inform on start of works here in Cardiff. I will give them a call and see what they say, hopefully they're lenient and won't charge me.

Caporegime
Thanks guys. No, nothing to inform on start of works here in Cardiff. I will give them a call and see what they say, hopefully they're lenient and won't charge me.

Just say you was going to start the works last march to tie in with the deadline but then you was unable to do so due to covid (check the timeline mind), you was meant to call them up but it's been such a manic year it's slipt your mind.

Caporegime
I believe the Business and Planning Act 2020 applies. This extends permissions with a time limit for implementation between 23 March 2020 and 19 August 2020 until 1 May 2021 subject to obtaining Additional Environmental Approval. No further extension of time is planned as far as I'm aware.

You've left it a little late in the day and may have to apply again.

Soldato
Our neighbour had a similar issue and was fined by the council.

I don't think COVID is much of a defence TBH but certainly worth a go.

Soldato
Other than the fact all trades people couldn't work for several months? :p

Most trades stopped between 23rd March and about the end of May / early June. Since then I'm not aware of any trades (inside or out) stopping work. Effectively there was an 8-10 week break and due to this there was an extension covering this by the looking of it until 1st May 2021 (so basically an extra year). The OP applied 6 years ago for permission, it's reasonable to expect he'll now have to apply again.

Back
Top Bottom