MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Any of you guys used GC Fab roll bars before? I really like the look of a big rollbar in an MX-5 (compared to those silly little chrome hoops) and they seem quite well priced. While clearly a good idea from a safety point of view, do they help much with the chassis flex? Mine is already on Gaz coilovers with AD08s so is a very fun little package, but there's definitely a bit of softness that I'd like to dial out. I'd probably fit some of the GCF door braces for good measure while I'm at it.
Yeah mate got one for his MK1. No issues, good quality and properly built/installed/supported with fat plates/bracing.

The chrome ones are style bars and do absolutely nothing for safety. Probably make it worse, call it the mouse trap.

GC fab are just a little flaky with timings and responses when busy but you do get your items just be prepared for terrible response time if you need to contact them :D it's ran by one guy if I'm not mistaken.

I ran a carbing one with side/door bars and that really stiffened up the car.

Soldato
Awesome grudas, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :D Yeah, I've heard the mouse trap reference before... really makes me cringe whenever I see them on a car. Horrid things.

I experimented with chassis and strut bracing on my Rover and there was a very noticeable difference with each brace that was installed, so if I can get similar improvements from the MX-5 I'll be very happy. I see mention that some of the roll bars are designed for plastic windows and some glass, surely the windows themselves are the same shape so it should be a one size fits all?

Soldato
I had a TR Lane rollbar similar to what the GC Fab one is in mine, made it noticeably stiffer, but then my MX5 was an earlier model that basically had no bracing underneath either so could have been more noticeable that on a later car.

Associate
I have a TR lane roll bar, but then i bought the car with it so not sure how it was prior to install. It certainly is a bit more piece of mind if i was ever to roll out.
Considering getting rid of it soon, but i may end up keeping it as a weekend car.
I'm certainly one million percent over using it as an every day car that's for sure!

Man of Honour
Fancied something different and manual for a laugh, collected today a 2007 NC 2.0i MX5 in Sunlight Silver, leather, AC, heated seats.

It does have: Eibach springs, ARB's and WIM fast road geo setup, and the BBR GTi Super 180 upgrade (exhaust manifold & map). Dyno'd at 187 bhp.

Goes well and sounds good, quite a bit of induction noise. Will get some pics once it's had a clean.

Soldato
Yeah they're very much unprotected from the factory. Mate of mine has one and had it undersealed properly when he got it.

Aww that's a shame. You'd hope that after 4 generations they'd get it right :/

Is the underseal application a one-time thing or do you need to redo it after a few years?

Soldato
Aww that's a shame. You'd hope that after 4 generations they'd get it right :/

Is the underseal application a one-time thing or do you need to redo it after a few years?

I don't know why but it's a Mazda thing.. there was a thread on mx5 forums somewhere a while ago of a guy getting his done and there's a lot of exposed metal everywhere that will last a few years but will slowly start getting bad. Like NC.

I think it depends on what you use, many of the modern products (aka not waxoil) will last for a long time... Cavity waxing is also very important as many cars like mx5s rust inside out...

Soldato
Cool, thanks for the info :)

I'm hoping to get an extended test drive of an RF ND2 2.0 in order to establish if it ticks the right boxes for me, and this is good stuff to know.

Soldato
Yeah they're very much unprotected from the factory. Mate of mine has one and had it undersealed properly when he got it.

I concur this is true, my previous MK2.5 was starting to cost substantially due to rust issues. I currently own a MK3.5 PRHT and got my car back just last week after having the underside and all other relevant areas treated with Dinitrol. As Im planning on keeping the car for a few years this should save me money in the long run. I have also found the Mazda alloys to be just as bad with substantial corrosion occuring. My alloys have just been powder coated and re-coloured to shadow chrome.

Just need some sunshine now so we can enjoy a roof down drive :D

Soldato
first mod arrived

IMG-0232.jpg

Soldato
Zeta CRD? they are really decent coilovers, I have them on mine and they manage to be very stiff but not crashy as I could not be dealing with the crashiness you get from cheap suspension

Associate
End of the road for my Mx5, its had a good 5 years living with me, but running 2 cars with the reduced travelling due to flexible working means it's unfortunately got to go. It will be greatly missed :(

Soldato
Zeta CRD? they are really decent coilovers, I have them on mine and they manage to be very stiff but not crashy as I could not be dealing with the crashiness you get from cheap suspension

Yeah just hoping they are not too stiff. The compression, especially high speed, is meant to be much better though.

Associate
Just recently purchased my first MX5 at the start of April and absolutely loving it!

Coming from an Astra J VXR and Cupra 290 I thought it may be too slow but the 2.0 NC Sport (2006) is quick enough for fun on roads at legal speeds.
It is just so much fun driving it, I can only agree with what everyone says about wishing I got one sooner. (Girlfriend even loves it)
Has a fast road setup with lowering springs and alignment.
https://pasteboard.co/JZH6ddH.jpg

I do have 2 small slight issues.

1. Check engine light, P2187 - engine running lean, no running problems but dont like the idea the light keeps coming on.
Most likely issue is front 02 sensor before the cat which is a very expensive £125.
https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/oxygen-sensor-aftermarket-front-mk3-p-2049.html
Cleared the code 2/3 times but keeps coming back, no obvious leaks. I have noticed the idle can get slightly juddery when light comes on.
Rather than spend £125 on a sensor, is there better money to be put into upgrades?

2. Noticed a tear in drivers side seat. (Heated seats)
https://pasteboard.co/JZHtNFb.jpg
Rough estimate to fix this and where is best place?
It doesnt bother me but dont want to leave it and get much worse but if its cheaper to repair now then happy to jump on it!

Back
Top Bottom