Golf Thread

Underboss
@booyaka yeah my playing group also thought it was a bit of a big skip but the new system has confirmed it. Odd as the person who beat me by 1 point only had 0.5 off his hc.

Fitting place looks good, place near me I want to get fitted at doesn't have anything until July which is a bit naff.

Soldato
@booyaka yeah my playing group also thought it was a bit of a big skip but the new system has confirmed it. Odd as the person who beat me by 1 point only had 0.5 off his hc.

Fitting place looks good, place near me I want to get fitted at doesn't have anything until July which is a bit naff.

yeah - I was booked for DEcember, then Jan, then March and finally April 27th (today) - They only re-opened yesterday so did me a favour as I've been waiting 5 months!

If you want an appointment now - your waiting till July/August as well.

Excited to play with a load of new toys today!!

Soldato
Just back from www.sggt.co.uk

Cracking few hours with Scott himself doing the fitting.

Very interesting way of fitting....

After an intro as to why I'm there/what I was looking for - His take is to start at the top of the bag - wedges

He gave me 6 different wedges/grinds/models (all 60 degrees) - told me to just hit them to the 25 yard flag - 4 balls each. Blind - don't look at models etc - Put them in "good" pile or "rubbish" pile after hitting them. I didn't look at the bottom of the clubs at all - no idea on models etc

Then he took the good ones and threw some balls onto the grass outside the bay - again - just hit them as they lie etc - after eliminating a few came down to Vokey wedges worked best for me. Tried hi-toe/glide/mizino etc but Vokey just worked perfect for me.

Iron fitting - as you can see from pictures - so much choice - tried various Mizuno/TM/Callaway/Cobra etc - Different shafts/lengths etc - Ended up between Callaway Apex and P790. Overall I preferred the Callaway heads. (hit 6 iron/4 iron/PW in them all)

Played around then with combo set slightly - 4/5 irons in Apex DCB (slightly more forgiving etc)

But ultimately settled on 4 iron in the Apex DCB and 5 - UW in Apex. Stiff Modus 120 shafts as the set.

2 Vokeys 52/58.

Hit my own Cobra hybrid and he found nothing wrong with it - works well, goes long and fairly straight - wouldn't change it.

Hit 8 - 10 balls of my own driver and after a chat he was very honest - If I want to get fitted for a driver & 3 wood - he would do so. His personal opinion- a few lessons and stick with driver/3 wood for now - Despite it being 10 years old, (TM 2.0 Burner) - I would be unlikely to get much more distance / greater accuracy from a new driver. Probably better to get a couple of driver lessons to improve that area of my game. He said it's like I have two swings - irons and then almost a slightly different driver swing!

On my good swings/hits - I was carrying 265/70 and rollout 280/285 - A new driver won't really add much more for my swing speed/angle of attack/spin rate etc.

Whilst I hit it out the middle of the face, with a fairly consistent strike, the face angle is quite "variable" (i.e one swing is open face, next square, next shut) - Improving that aspect would be worth more to me than spending £400/500 on a driver at this time! Very honest of him.

So for now, irons/wedges potentially to purchase - he's pricing up and will email me as they build them onsite, and will see about other stuff later down the line.

So much stuff to choose from - place is amazing! Great day out.

Underboss
@booyaka - great write up cheers, nice to see him not forcing you into clubs you don't need. I've worked at and been to places who do the hard sell and fitting people into clubs they don't need, it winds me up.

Looks like a great selection there to, let us know what the damage is when he comes back to you!

Soldato
@booyaka - great write up cheers, nice to see him not forcing you into clubs you don't need. I've worked at and been to places who do the hard sell and fitting people into clubs they don't need, it winds me up.

Looks like a great selection there to, let us know what the damage is when he comes back to you!

meant to add - it was £100 for the fitting today - nearly 2.5 hours. They deduct that from the cost of irons if you buy from them.

Soldato
Hi golfers. I’m arranging a stag do for someone who is big into golfing, as are a lot of the other people going. Whilst I briefly thought about trying to get a round somewhere I figured it’ll either be a poor course, cost a fortune and not be very fun for the non golfers and the group behind us!
I’ve therefore thought about one of the virtual golf lounges. Are they any good? Would someone into golf enjoy them or are they just a waste of time?
I like the idea you can ‘play’ at courses around the world plus it should be fun for the non golfers or at the very least they can have some beers...

Soldato
Hi golfers. I’m arranging a stag do for someone who is big into golfing, as are a lot of the other people going. Whilst I briefly thought about trying to get a round somewhere I figured it’ll either be a poor course, cost a fortune and not be very fun for the non golfers and the group behind us!
I’ve therefore thought about one of the virtual golf lounges. Are they any good? Would someone into golf enjoy them or are they just a waste of time?
I like the idea you can ‘play’ at courses around the world plus it should be fun for the non golfers or at the very least they can have some beers...

https://www.thegolflounge.co.uk/

Been there a few times - perfect for what you want - Golf for some, beers for all, pool tables for others. Even the non golfers amongst us enjoyed just smashing the ball around the simulators etc.

Associate

Definitely don't take the whole group out onto a course with non-golfers! Everyone would have a bad time ;)
You'd be better off, as you say, booking a virtual lounge or even better a driving range like Top Golf or some of the others like it. Book a few bays for a couple hours. They'll even bring drinks out to you. It has targets for people to shoot at and other games.

Soldato

Been there a few times - perfect for what you want - Golf for some, beers for all, pool tables for others. Even the non golfers amongst us enjoyed just smashing the ball around the simulators etc.

That was the one I was looking at, so glad to hear it’s ok!

Definitely don't take the whole group out onto a course with non-golfers! Everyone would have a bad time ;)
You'd be better off, as you say, booking a virtual lounge or even better a driving range like Top Golf or some of the others like it. Book a few bays for a couple hours. They'll even bring drinks out to you. It has targets for people to shoot at and other games.

That looks fantastic, and would be perfect. They announced they were opening one in Glasgow a few years ago so I’ve emailed the press department asking if it’s still going ahead. Thanks!

Soldato
Nice day out on the Alisa course Turnberry today - windy and poor golf was had but still better than sitting in front of the laptop all day! New holes are lovely - course in cracking condition already.

Great birdie on 6 - straight into the wind - hit a lovely 7 iron to about 8 ft and holed the putt.

Then a great par on 10 - one of the new holes - par 5 - ocean all down left side (2nd picture) - that's a view of the 2nd shot you have into the green!

img_20210429_210709_469-jpg.1503189
img_20210429_210709_508-jpg.1503190

Soldato
Done something I've never done before today....

Triple bogie, Eagle, double bogie....

Not many eagles in my life - but doesn't feel good when surrounded by 5 dropped shots.....

3w - 242 yard to 12 ft and holed the putt.

Shame the rest of the round was poor.....

Soldato
Done something I've never done before today....

Triple bogie, Eagle, double bogie....

Not many eagles in my life - but doesn't feel good when surrounded by 5 dropped shots.....

3w - 242 yard to 12 ft and holed the putt.

Shame the rest of the round was poor.....

Nice!

I was on a par 3 on Thursday, 3 feet for a birdie, ended up with a bogey :( kicking myself. I also bought some Titleist velocity matte green balls, they weren't very nice to hit, just felt like rocks. But as someone who struggles to follow white balls in flight, glasses etc. they were so easy to follow, see in the distance. Made it much easier watching them sail into the water and the trees lol

Associate

That looks absolutely epic, need to open one in Manchester.

Had a lesson today to improve my game, went really well. Pro Shop at my club (Ashton under Lyne) has a room with a tracking machine, identified that my attack angle was too steep and my path was outside to in, within 30 mins we had reduced my attack angle by 4 degrees and my path to slightly inside out with a slight draw.....need to practice what I've been taught now.

Soldato
That looks absolutely epic, need to open one in Manchester.

Had a lesson today to improve my game, went really well. Pro Shop at my club (Ashton under Lyne) has a room with a tracking machine, identified that my attack angle was too steep and my path was outside to in, within 30 mins we had reduced my attack angle by 4 degrees and my path to slightly inside out with a slight draw.....need to practice what I've been taught now.

random fact but I'm sure my Dad was a member 40 years ago at Ashton golf club....I was born in Oldham and lived in Ashton till I was 5...It's up off Lees' Road or somewhere I vaguely remember!

Associate
random fact but I'm sure my Dad was a member 40 years ago at Ashton golf club....I was born in Oldham and lived in Ashton till I was 5...It's up off Lees' Road or somewhere I vaguely remember!

Yep, you're spot on - it's a nice course, only been a member for a month and really enjoying it (was previously a member at Stamford Golf Club in Stalybridge a few years ago if you know it).

Underboss
Injured my shoulder due to a hidden tree root on my round on Thursday, was supposed to be off at 7am but thankfully the rain came so have rebooked for 3.30, time for some deep heat and paracetamol.

Soldato
Injured my shoulder due to a hidden tree root on my round on Thursday, was supposed to be off at 7am but thankfully the rain came so have rebooked for 3.30, time for some deep heat and paracetamol.

nasty - hope you heal up ok

77 scratch for me yesterday round Seafield. (Par 67)

Hit 265 yard drive right down the middle of 13th....Standing there 3 over par ....

finished Double bogie, par, double bogie, bogie, bogie, par....

Can't complain I guess - Would have taken it before tee off!

Hit the ball very well generally - Couldn't hole a putt - Missed birdie putts on 9/10/11/12 all from inside 20 ft.

33 putts today which is really bad for me- I average 28 a round

Soldato
I took up golf about 8 months ago, and have been obsessed ever since then; spending more then I should! Played a round at Rye Hill in Banbury yesterday with some friends and for the first time I broke 100! I got 93. Previous best was 101; I always do better in the front 9 then back 9, this time I was +5 on the front, fell apart a bit on the back 9 but still over the moon. I have my first lesson on this Saturday, my life is golf now.

If anyone fancies a round in Hertfordshire, let me know.

Soldato
golf-jpg.1511488

Solid round today - SLOW greens. Holed nothing but struck the ball pretty well. Lost a ball on 17th which is a shame but happy overall.

Nice 282 yard drive at 12th - then holed the chip from 45 yards for a 2 - Another Eagle for the year!

Back
Top Bottom