Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah if I went round Swinley it wouldn't be a recovery ride. No car at the moment though so ride there, smash round, ride back is probably touching 55-60 miles.

Soldato
So after all that effort fixing the DT Swiss wheel it's now buckled. Thanks Surrey council.

The road heading north of Box Hill must be one of the most popular cycling routes in the country yet ever since I've known it you have to slalom a complete mess of potholes. Hit a massive one as it was hard to see with all the shadows. Insta flat then bounced through the next set. Ejected my bottle. Almost lost my Exposure Tracer. Only just yesterday I set the brake pads up proper close so it was nice and true.. now it's far from it. Urghhh!

Nice weather though.
Uhh. Realised this morning it's not just buckled. The brake track is actually bent too. :mad::mad::mad:

Soldato
Right, time for me to throw myself back into it here. A lack of motivation throughout 2020, buying a house during lockdown and becoming a full-time DIYer meant I basically gave up cycling for 6 months. I'm now probably the least fit I've been since about 2012. CTL plot below currently at a whopping 9 where I was usually around 90-100 this time of year following training camps.

At my peak in 2019 I had an FTP of around 370w at about 84kg. Currently a shambolic 96kg and with a starting FTP of I'm guessing c.260w which means I barely move on current rides, particularly if there's a sniff of an incline. All quite embarrassing but looking forward to the progress from here.

Will check with that here, but going to see where training for a few months gets me with a view to some TT's later this year and maybe some road races if that's allowed next year.

RkMzCZw.jpg

Soldato

Honestly man, it seems way worse than it is. You will be very surprised at where you can come back to in a short space of time.
I had 11 months off the bike 2017 into 2018, no training what so ever when Rory was born. I put on like 15KG.
My first ride back after that was on the last day of May 2018 with a 60min commute to work.... I just rode that 1 hour back and forth to work most days and started gradually back into training.
By end of September I was 60KG. Middle of October I came 6th in Scottish hill climb at 58KG's doing 6.2wkg for 10mins.
I genuinely thought ALL of 2018 would just be getting back half fit and riding. After 4 months I was back lean and riding strong and that was after entire 11 months off.

TL;DR - You'll be fine. Do not worry about CTL/weight and just ride for fun for a bit and let it all come back. It's amazing what your body remembers and gets back to quickly.

Soldato
Welcome back!

What is your training regime going to be out of interest?

Pretty much as xdxcdx says just going to ride for now and just get some time in the saddle, might look at bringing a bit more structure in a month or two depending on how it's going. Funny, when you have a reasonable FTP you can go out and you have a bunch of bandwidth between zones where you can pitch your ride and train. When you're as unfit as this its all compressed into a tiny window of riding and almost just one speed, so limited choice but to just ride anyway.

Soldato
Good to have you back @Thomas. PLease. I did wonder what had happened when you stopped appearing on Strava. as xdcx says, you'll be surprised. never had that long off, but everyone I've heard about comes back quiickly, just don't overdo it too soon and enjoy the road back!

Soldato
Haha my fitness/freshness curve is on 2. I did my first ride since November and only did a few rides then, so had about a year or more off. Did barely 10 miles and needed to stop a few times :(:o

Soldato
Guys, got a bit of an issue going on.

Any time I try to put down some proper power, I get a sudden slip of my gears - it feels like the chain is slipping. Obviously not ideal! It causes the crank to slip around; on a couple of occasions it's nearly caused me to come off.

From reading up, it seems to be either the chain or cassette being worn. Another suggestion is that the rear hangar is bent, however on inspection it's perfectly straight. Current setup is Shimano 105 10-speed. All components kept fairly well, lubricated etc.

Any ideas?

Soldato
I'd go scribe over hunt for that price.

When I first saw this I thought you’d written Prime and it had autocorrected, I hadn’t heard of Scribe. They look similar to Hunt but looks like nicer hubs - I have ordered the 50mm carbon HD ones (24/28 spoke) as I am currently a bit of a porker, and when I’m less of a porker I might want to do a bit of roady bike packing so the extra capacity won’t hurt anyway. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Edit: yeah I did blow the budget a bit! I really like my bike a lot and have no real plans to change it especially with the price and availability of bikes lately so I thought it was worthwhile splashing out on the carbon ones as I did have quite a hankering.

Did my longest ride so far today, 79 miles on the nose. Enjoyed most of it, my bum was killing me towards the end. As it was cold when I set out I ended up in my Lidl bib tights that are probably ten years old. Need some better tights!

https://strava.app.link/EwY1m1SEUfb

Soldato
Did 83km today with a tidy coffee break in the middle. Didnt hit home until I saw on strava "this time a month ago you did 0km"

First time on a road bike since I was a teenager and ramped up the distance quite considerably. To the point when I go back to the office for a few days of the week I will happily do the 60km round trip.

Next weekend - I want to hit my first 100km run and I already made my route :) So chuffed with myself, I have never done this distance before. However, I did have to ride 17km in the rain home which sucked lol

Muck everywhere, every piece of clothing soaked, saddle bag ****** lol Was mega fun though.

Plan is next weekend to do the 89.9k run one direction, and then try to back track along the coast along the train line till I conk out and work from there lol Loving it

Last edited:
Soldato
Another shifter cable failed today. Noticed I couldn't shift into last 3/4 sprockets so had to ride round in granny gears sparingly.

Recalled I bought that shifter cable guide after @Jonny ///M mentioned.

New vs old. I wouldn't say it looked horrific. Mostly dirty but I guess it wouldn't take much to fray a cable.

adNa9ks.png

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Did 83km today with a tidy coffee break in the middle. Didnt hit home until I saw on strava "this time a month ago you did 0km"

First time on a road bike since I was a teenager and ramped up the distance quite considerably. To the point when I go back to the office for a few days of the week I will happily do the 60km round trip.

Next weekend - I want to hit my first 100km run and I already made my route :) So chuffed with myself, I have never done this distance before. However, I did have to ride 17km in the rain home which sucked lol

Muck everywhere, every piece of clothing soaked, saddle bag ****** lol Was mega fun though.

Plan is next weekend to do the 89.9k run one direction, and then try to back track along the coast along the train line till I conk out and work from there lol Loving it

Well done mate, getting the freedom and fitness on a road bike is a great feeling when its been years likely in youth when you last road one.

One of the worst times on the bike I got a soaking was the start of a well used 100 mile lap-the-lough in this part of the world, it didnt forecast it but we had the first 40 mile in horrific sideways rain so we stopped at a retail park in a starbucks. I had to dry my socks in the toilets drier trying to get blood flow back in the hands. Somehow after a snack+coffee we picked ourselves up and completed the loop. If I had been offered a lift home at the 40 mile point I would have fell in without hesitation it was that bad.

Back
Top Bottom