Race report: 'UK not deliberately rigged against ethnic minorities'

Caporegime
France is a much less tolerant place than the UK, with a far less liberal attitude towards race and religion.

Not sure it's somewhere we should aim for.
I thought the UK was one of the most racist countries on earth, or so I've been reading

Caporegime
France is a much less tolerant place than the UK, with a far less liberal attitude towards race and religion.

Not sure it's somewhere we should aim for.
I'd rather we were intolerant of intolerance, rather than import intolerance in the name of tolerance.

Again, thinking about all the culturally rich places that burn down churches, persecute Christians, murder people for "blasphemy", etc.

Don't want that crap here, thanks.

Soldato
What Govanhill is turning into, but how Toryglen Circus used to look like before it was torn down and rebuilt.

Govanhill is quickly becoming increasingly desirable. There’s an awful lot of good about the area, and property prices reflect that.
The council have been doing a good job in buying the run down tenements and getting rid of the slum landlords. The pandemic has slowed that but the area is clearly gentrifying.
It’s not a dangerous area, and sure there are groups of people hanging around but there is that everywhere. It just happens to be brown people that hang around so scares the Facebook racists. Next you’ll be posting videos of that crackpot drug dealer roaming the streets asking for fights from any brown person.

Govanhill was awful ten years ago, it’s not now. However, the racists and middle aged plus will claim because there are a large number of ‘foreigners’ it’s inherently bad. Whilst all the hipsters and young folk are moving in in droves and bringing the area up. Heck there are at least three vegan cafes there flogging expensive coffee and pretentious (but delicious) cakes. Hardly indicative of a dangerous area with nothing going for it.

As for Toryglen Circus, I used to do some work there, and I can promise you that having been in a number of the properties, it was those belonging to the Glaswegians who have been on benefits for years and no doubt serious drug addictions which were much worse than the immigrants.
But it was a dump, and I suspect it always was. Somewhere to dump the drug addicts and poor with no help will result in a bad area.

Soldato
I think its useful in these conversations to make it clear we have a very different approach to race than America.

This video as popped up a few times on my youtube feed, about how the American Military Police tried to have Britain enforce racial segregation when Black American troops were stationed here during WW2. I've read about similar incidents to the one in this video. How the white British locals rejected the Americans trying to get them to segregate.

I think this video is very well put together and shows a difference in attitude to race when it comes to the British and Americans.

Heroes Among Us: Incident at Bamber Bridge

Soldato
Bamber Bridge

An interesting event.

The resentment of being obliged to treat black people as equals after generations of treating them as subhumans is a special American poison. Segregation was to remorselessly take another swig and the last of that is still in living memory.

Completely incomparable to racism in the UK which has always been small beans compared to divisions of socioeconomic status.

Also, some people have commented on how racist the UK is compared to... elsewhere...

Saw this in passing: https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2019-being-black-in-the-eu-summary_en.pdf

Associate
Are we not all inherently racist from evolution? it's all tribalism. Nationalism, Religion, Football, Racism, so it's challenging to move past it. There are also certain traits each race generally has, we try to deny them but they do exist, another reason it's difficult to not see everyone as equal.

The thread title is a perfect example, by using "UK" they're already segregating our geographic tribe.

Caporegime
An interesting event.

The resentment of being obliged to treat black people as equals after generations of treating them as subhumans is a special American poison. Segregation was to remorselessly take another swig and the last of that is still in living memory.

Completely incomparable to racism in the UK which has always been small beans compared to divisions of socioeconomic status.

Also, some people have commented on how racist the UK is compared to... elsewhere...

Saw this in passing: https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2019-being-black-in-the-eu-summary_en.pdf

Thats right, the uk has some if the lowest values of racism compared to EU countries and the world.

Its not perfect, I dont know if it can be but we are working towards it. But how are we treated for this?

Are we praised for being ahead of the curve?

Capodecina
Soldato
Thats right, the uk has some if the lowest values of racism compared to EU countries and the world.

Its not perfect, I dont know if it can be but we are working towards it. But how are we treated for this?

Whatabouterey; we should be praised for not being as racist as America :confused:

Off the top of my head I think of "No Blacks, no Irish, no dogs", the "Black and White Minstrels Show" and of course, the infamous "Rivers of blood" speech :rolleyes:

Soldato

I don’t think being praised for being a bit less racist than someone else is warranted. It’s not something that is likely ever to be worthy of praise, it should just be the done thing which it unfortunately isn’t.

Caporegime
I don’t think being praised for being a bit less racist than someone else is warranted. It’s not something that is likely ever to be worthy of praise, it should just be the done thing which it unfortunately isn’t.

But aren't the countries that these oppressed minorities come from even worse?

For example Niger,

In October 2006, Niger announced that it would deport to Chad the "Diffa Arabs", Arabs living in the Diffa region of eastern Niger.[39] Their population numbered about 150,000.[40] While the government was rounding up Arabs in preparation for the deportation, two girls died, reportedly after fleeing government forces, and three women suffered miscarriages. Niger's government eventually suspended their controversial decision to deport the Arabs.[41][42]

In Niger, while the practice of slavery was outlawed in 2003, a study has found that more than 800,000 people are still slaves, almost 8% of the population.[43][44] Slavery dates back centuries in Niger and was criminalised after five years of lobbying by Anti-Slavery International and Nigerian human-rights group, Timidria.[45]

Somalia

The Somali Bantu ethnic minority face significant stigmatization in Somali society due to their differing physical appearance and ancestry from the Cushitic-origin majority of Somalia. Racialized epithets targeted at the Somali Bantu community exist such as 'adoon' (slave) similar in connotation to the Arabic term abeed. The marginalization of the Somali Bantu community is primarily based on ethnoracial factors, unlike the marginalization of the Madhiban and other Somali-origin minorities which is primarily based on their status as a socially constructed caste.[49] Ethnic Somalis and populations of Bantu stock are genetically divergent.[50][51] Racially-motivated attacks on Somali Bantus have occurred.[52][53]

The 4.5 parliamentary formula under the Transitional Federal Government has been criticized as a form of legislative apartheid.[54]

Are we not seeing some hypocrisy and double standards given how these countries treat their citizens?

Back
Top Bottom