Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
I use one of those add-on bins that are advertised for fireplace cleaning. That collects all the large rubbish and a decent portion of the finer stuff, one bag lasts ages then and you just empty the add-on bin.

You can get re-useable henry bags with made of canvas with a zip on so you can empty them too. Check amazon/ebay.

I use my henry attached to the sander whenever I'm decorating, it massively reduces the amount of dust I produce. You still need a dust mask/respirator and some eye protection as well though.

Dave

Soldato
You can get re-useable henry bags with made of canvas with a zip on so you can empty them too. Check amazon/ebay.

I use my henry attached to the sander whenever I'm decorating, it massively reduces the amount of dust I produce. You still need a dust mask/respirator and some eye protection as well though.

Dave
I just use the saw outside when possible. The add-on bin also means i don't have to be careful about what i vacuum up, damp plaster for instance, nails, anything basically. It keeps our George somewhat clean compared to just using it for DIY stuff on its own. I might actually start using the old Dyson for DIY it handles plaster dust a lot better than bags ive found, use the new V11 for house vacuuming now. Keep the George for wet vacuuming.

Associate

Dave
When we renovated&rebuilt our house the builder had a Henry. It was useless though compared to the karcher wd3 we bought. The karcher is brilliant. Can be used with or without bags, for wet or dry waste. And very robust.

I now use it in my workshop and have added a cyclone and collector bin which increases the capacity and means I never need to replace the bags or filter in the karcher. Brilliant for saw dust and works well for other grit and bits.

Associate
The electrician who wired our first house had his parents ancient henry as site hoover, he had given up using bags completely and it was working fine sucking up rubble and plaster from where he had chased the walls. The henry I have is a hand me down and has been used for all kinds of filthy jobs, if it dies, so be it! I figured the bag might make it last longer?

I do use the Henry on my router or circular saw if I have bigger jobs to do, even outside as it saves on sweeping up after.

Dave

Associate
Anyone spec me up a power tool set for general jobs around the house preferably ones that can be had from either B&Q or a Screwfix. Nothing fancy, can spend up to £300 or more if needed. Thanks in advance

Soldato
Anyone spec me up a power tool set for general jobs around the house preferably ones that can be had from either B&Q or a Screwfix. Nothing fancy, can spend up to £300 or more if needed. Thanks in advance

What jobs are you doing? I wouldn't bother buying tools, particularly power tools, until you actually need them.

Soldato

Just get a drill (or a drill and impact twin pack if you have use for it) and then add tools as necessary. Once you've got the charger and batteries, bare tools are fairly reasonable. For this reason it's worth getting a kit with decent capacity batteries if you think you will be adding tools which consume more power (saws etc). Any of the below are probably fine, some higher spec than others, but think about what you actually need and what you will be using it for.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwauke...dlithium-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/702fh
https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-d...-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/264gg
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...h-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-hammer-drill/150jr
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...i-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/268fx
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gs...coolpack-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/964kp

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/362jt
https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwauke...ess-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/229hv

Soldato
Cheers , someone mentioned that Dewalt DCD996. Is that decent enough for general around the house jobs I.e just installing wall mounts , shelves etc etc.
It's the top of the range professional combi drill, what do you think? Lol. It's overkill if all your doing is putting up some shelves.

Associate
Apologies, I know nothing about drills at all ... nothing wrong with a bit of overkill for that just in case. I can get that DCD996 for £260 ish with 2 batteries good deal is there a better kit for my usage . Cheers !

Associate
Certainly, the 996 is the top of the range professional drill and is overkill for putting up a few shelves.

You could get the model down, an impact driver and 2 4ah batteries for £200 from screwfix but I’m not sure if that offer is still running.

Edit: I think it was this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/362jt

Cheers , that I can get for £160 via some discounts with Screwfix I have. Any recommendations on a bit kit , again for general purpose.

Soldato
Screwfix sell a dewalt triple pack of HSS, wood and masonry bits in yellow plastic boxes for about £15. It’s fine for general use, then just replace individual bits as needed (if ever).

Associate
Been eyeing up that DeWalt twin pack for the past few weeks and seems to go OOS everywhere then back in.
Was OOS this week then one popped up at my local store yesterday so nabbed it.
Don't know if it's just a supply issue as with lots of things at the moment.

Caporegime
So I'm going to be removing a bunch of soil for a patio and more, chances are lots of it is clay heavy, best thing to use?

I'm getting rid of this stuff, I'm not trying to make it usable.

Soldato
Hi all, could do with some assistance.

Ive bought a new house and currently have all makita equipment (&batteries - multiple) . I require a long reacb pole hedge saw, and a more regular sized hedge saw.

Am i best going makita? I've seen that e.g. Ryobi do some similar cheaper offerings (particularly for the longer cheaper polesaw). I believe you can get battery adaptors also?

Soldato
So I'm going to be removing a bunch of soil for a patio and more, chances are lots of it is clay heavy, best thing to use?

I'm getting rid of this stuff, I'm not trying to make it usable.

Mini digger, two wheel barrows (with a second person to move and empty them) and a skip or hire a grab lorry. Sod doing that by hand....

Hi all, could do with some assistance.

Ive bought a new house and currently have all makita equipment (&batteries - multiple) . I require a long reacb pole hedge saw, and a more regular sized hedge saw.

Am i best going makita? I've seen that e.g. Ryobi do some similar cheaper offerings (particularly for the longer cheaper polesaw). I believe you can get battery adaptors also?

Consider a Ryobi battery adapter for your existing Makita batteries - check Amazon. Cheap Ryobi tools on your existing battery system.

Back
Top Bottom