UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [27th - 29th April 2021]

Soldato
You look back at players like him. Especially the obscene wages most go for. Buying him when Neymar went in 2017 would have made him into a Premier League great as he would have had the best years ahead of him.

I can just remember him and Suarez in the world cup. Purely devastating.
Look Cavani is 34, I get why he wants to leave... when Man U get more players like him through the academy jobs done. The youngsters will have learned a lot from him.

fez

fez

Caporegime
To all those saying the Cavani penalty shouldn’t have stood, I remember quite recently arguing with various people on here that if you miss a chance and get taken out afterwards it shouldn’t be a penalty and got told that 100% it should. That was a prime example of that. I don’t think it should be a penalty but unsurprisingly, because it was in our favour suddenly people opinions change.

Neither should have been a penalty, sliding in on the ground, the only place your arms go is up for balance, you will hurt yourself if you try sliding with your arms at your side.

Seems like it was a good game though and fingers crossed it’s a Villarreal vs United final. Always **** having a final with teams from the same country.

Soldato
To all those saying the Cavani penalty shouldn’t have stood, I remember quite recently arguing with various people on here that if you miss a chance and get taken out afterwards it shouldn’t be a penalty and got told that 100% it should. That was a prime example of that. I don’t think it should be a penalty but unsurprisingly, because it was in our favour suddenly people opinions change.

Neither should have been a penalty, sliding in on the ground, the only place your arms go is up for balance, you will hurt yourself if you try sliding with your arms at your side.

Seems like it was a good game though and fingers crossed it’s a Villarreal vs United final. Always **** having a final with teams from the same country.

Lmao even Cavani didn't appeal. I consistently argue that if someone takes a shot and is taken out then it's a foul. Not when the ball is off the pitch and well he isn't taken out. I'll dig an example out later. Pogba reminded me of those fellas that car garages blow up sometimes...it was a penalty.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Lmao even Cavani didn't appeal.

He was in a heap on the ground hurt.

Not when the ball is off the pitch and well he isn't taken out.

The ball was still on the pitch and Smalling clatters him with the follow through after the ball is gone.

Like I said, it shouldn't be a penalty IMO because the chance is gone and the tackle didn't impact the miss at all and its far too much of a punishment to give a penalty in those situations. Elsewhere on the pitch fine, but a penalty should be for something serious that removes the chance of a goal. This sort of thing should come under the same rules as when a player boots the ball off the back line a split second before the defender who is also going for the ball makes contact with the player. Is it a foul? Probably. Did it stop a potential goalscoring opportunity? No. If the only way you can get to the ball before the defender is to kick it off the pitch then its not a goalscoring opportunity.

Still don't agree about the Pogba one but thats a bit more of a grey area IMO.

Caporegime
You could argue that Smallings rashness before the penalty prevented him from scoring leading up to the contact. Hence why it isn't so black and white and the law is the law.

End of the day both Cavani and Pogba shouldn't have been pens so they cancel each other out. Regardless of letter of the law.

Caporegime
So the bit about the 'handball' that I'm not sure about is that the rules say it's not a handball if the ball hits another part of the player's body first. It hits Pogba's leg first so as far as I can see by the rules the referee and VAR have made a mistake.

Soldato
I actually think Pogba summed this up nicely after the match. He basically said he needed to practice tackling or not do it. That's about right. It was unfortunate but I think it was more of a pen than the United one. If he'd been standing and the ball bounced of his foot and hit his arm while it was above his head it would have been a penalty therefore sliding in horizontal isn't really much different. Anyway that's Pogba's second pen he's given away for handball this season. He has form!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just watched the Arsenal/Villareal highlights. How on earth did Arsenal come out of that without being beaten by a cricket score and how on earth did VAR let that Saka penalty stand. The defenders foot was planted and he sticks a leg out to create the contact. Very Kane-esque.

If Arsenal get to the final Villareal will be kicking themselves.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If he'd been standing and the ball bounced of his foot and hit his arm while it was above his head it would have been a penalty therefore sliding in horizontal isn't really much different. Anyway that's Pogba's second pen he's given away for handball this season. He has form!

The problem is that the rules say "an unnatural position". I just watched a "best sliding tackles" compilation and the one thing that is almost universal is that the top arm is stuck out at an angle for balance. Anyone who has played football will tell you the same. Its like when you really stretch to make a tackle, you arms go up for balance. If you are just standing and tracking a player you can tuck your arms behind you but as soon as there is a lot of momentum involved, the arms naturally go out.

I feel like they need to make sure referees have either played the game for a certain amount of time or they need to learn about movement biomechanics. Same reason the ref gave the red card the other day for a follow through. If you don't have a basic understanding of how the body moves then how can you make decisions about a "natural position" or if a follow through is intentional.

Caporegime
If he'd been standing and the ball bounced of his foot and hit his arm while it was above his head it would have been a penalty

No it wouldn't though? Unless I'm misunderstanding the following:

It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the
hand/arm towards the ball
• scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if
accidental, including by the goalkeeper
• after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if
accidental, immediately:
  • scores in the opponents’ goal
  • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
  • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
  • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player
deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

Surely it would count as deliberately playing the ball which then touches the hand/arm.

Soldato
I just remember the one specific which maintained their unbeaten run in their 'invincibles*' season. It was against someone terrible they were about to hilariously lose to. I feel like maybe Burnley? But it was a long time ago!

*Apart from every cup competition they got stuffed in. ;)

Soldato
Ha! A quick google suggests it was Portsmouth, and that it was in the 39th minute, so hardly right at the end of a game they were going to lose. Just shows how memory plays tricks on you.

Back
Top Bottom