Oculus Quest 2 getting official wireless 'Air Link' mode and 120hz PC support

Soldato
Guessing it means I wouldn't be able to play online though?

Just on the WiFi bud.

So you have a Wifi adapter in your PC? Is it Wifi 6 or Wifi 5? You might be able to use it as a connection for your Quest 2 and still have internet, without buying anything.

Associate
I have Airlink working pretty great on my Wifi5 Orbi. Way better than VD did. Saints and Sinners, Space Pirate Trainer, Tetris Effect worked very well. Pistol Whipped was fine, but I could tell it wasn't as smooth as the native Quest version. Tried Creed briefly and it played well enough.

Associate
Is there any way to measure latency over Airlink? I'm shocked at how good it is. Over my WiFi 5 connection it seems to be a better image than the link cable. I fired up AMS2 and even that seemed to run well, but I didn't connect the wheel to test it properly. Alyx and Thumper were totally fine. Would love to test Latency though. I set it to use dynamic bit rate and moved the slider all the way to the right, 200mbps. Cosmodread looks so much better PCVR than Quest 2 native.

Soldato
So can you actually use 120hz via pcvr and the oculus app? How do I do it via Link?

Got Squadrons running in 90hz and it feels pretty smooth, but would love to try 120hz :D.

In addition, what happens if I'm only pushing 110 fps, and have 120hz on? Does it run OK just at 110, or is it choppy? Or will it try and use asw to fill in the gaps?

Associate
Bought an Aruba Instant On AP22 WiFi 6 AP to use with AirLink and it's working great. The Quest holds a solid 1200 Mbps connection via WiFi 6.

Associate
I've had a fiddle with it and for the type of stuff I mostly play like Elite I prefer the image in VD. VD on high/150 mbs looks clearer to me than Airlink at a similar resolution and 200 bitrate. Airlink does seem a touch smoother though so I may end up using that for games where reaction times are more important. Nice to have options.

Back
Top Bottom