Newborn not sleeping through the day

Caporegime
Breast is best.

Infant Gaviscon is what we gave my son for his silent reflux, none of these powdered imposter milks!

Until he was on the Gaviscon he was inconsolable whenever he tried to sleep. Oh and elevate his head, I ended up making a wedge to lift the head-end of his mattress up a bit.

Soldato
Car rides/walks in strollers. If my lad was in a foul mood and winding the missus up, I'd stick him in the car and take him for a ride, he'd be out like a light within 10 minutes everytime.

I'm over 40 and I've been like all my life. Any journey over 15mins and I start to fall asleep. It's the sound of the tires on the tarmac, it's the perfect sound at the right tone/frequency

Soldato
We had similar issues and use a white noise generator (well, a track on Spotify). He sleeps fine at night but needs the white noise in the day! Works well. Before this he would only sleep in the car or pram on the move.

Soldato
you’d be surprised how much you get fobbed off,
It took us over 5 weeks to diagnose his silent reflux as the doctors would just say “babies cry”.

Have his ears been checked? He might simply be a raging ball of pain due to the reflux even with formula.
You have my sympathies, awful when they won't sleep, bar infracol I have nothing helpful to add.

Soldato
Our boy was the same, the docs suggested trying him on lactose free milk was like a different baby afterwards. Would def suggest asking to try lactose free milk, they can give you it on perscription

now sleeps thru the night 7-7 and normally has 1-2hours during the day, before wouldnt sleep for more than 30mins at a time before waking up screaming.

Caporegime
you’d be surprised how much you get fobbed off,
It took us over 5 weeks to diagnose his silent reflux as the doctors would just say “babies cry”.

You first port of call should not be your GP because your baby doesn't sleep the way you'd like them too. Many babies do just cry too.

As mentioned previously, your health visitor is a good bet to start with if you need advice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I know ****** about babies, but my guess:
Body has 2 modes:
- fight or flight
- rest and digest
Your kid isn't in the right mode.
Happens to most adults coz of stress, caffiene, phones, etc.
Examine senses:
Hearing - car noises?
Sight - bright room?
Smell - allergies?
Touch - allergies?
Taste - probably not
And basic functions:
Breathing - allergies?
Digestion - intolerances?

Why would you even waste the time to type this?

Soldato
As someone else said, I'd see your gp to get checks done if you haven't already. Does your kid vomit much? Serious question

Soldato
Infacol is what we used for reflux for all 4 of my kids couple of drops before feeding works wonders, my older two wer bottle fed as the ex-wife could not breastfeed due to medication.

As for the not sleeping during the day, remove stimulation as others have said, turn off the TV and radio don't make the house silent but don't have lots going on. Also reduce colours. Bedding and room décor should be fairly bland when they are small, also remove soft toys from around the baby's bed/sleeping area.

Take the little might out for a walk, and keep walking once he is asleep, don't instantly as soon as he has dropped of turn back home, keep going, you have to teach them that sleep is needed.

Associate
We can only get our toddler down either by breastfeeding or a car/buggy ride. I think you need to find the right ‘trigger’ for you. They can be incredibly fussy and will resist naps.

Soldato
Our 4 month old had similar issues in the first few months.

Hes been on reflux medication omeprazole and it seems to have helped a bit, but the biggest change was moving from cow and gate to aptamil formula.

No more squirming pulling faces looking like hes got gut ache just after eating.

As others have said if it may be a case of having to put them in the car and go for a little drive if nothing is working.

He has a hushh white noise wave machine, and its helping now with routine to go up to his nursery for naps in a dark room.

Back
Top Bottom