People complaining about paying for their own care again = massive entitlement

Associate
This story is doing the rounds again - looks like Jeremy Corbo-Hunt is banging the drum for 'free' care agin - capped at 45k max, even for those with 2million pound houses.

Now, if it's not enough for the vast majority of healthy people being locked up for 1 year, to 'help out' the old and unproductive - why should we now have to fork out for the oldies' care? What's wrong with them just getting a loan on their houses or selling them etc..? Gotta love these baby boomers overinflated sense of entitlement!:rolleyes:

You want excessive health care, you pay! What's wrong with that?

Last edited:
spend all your money through life and have nothing at the end = free care
save and be careful all your life with assets and a home = pay for yourself

i think it says it all there, make sure you have nothing at the end and have it for free

my personal view is maybe pay for some but on a sliding scale so its fair
also i think the government's push for pensions are exactly this to help pay for your care in the future

and to the OP oneday if you're lucky you will be faced with exactly that problem

Associate
OP
Is this a covid related rant or should it be in GD or (crossing myself) SC?
Sure it's covid related - ie. everyone locked up for 1 yr to protect the old, now they want free care homes as well! I mean where does it end?

Do you have a massive chip on your shoulder about everything?
So, are you prepared to contribute to your own care or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Everyone that pays tax already contributes to their own care… quite rightly higher earners contribute more to the system too, so to suggest that they don’t contribute under this scenario is disingenuous.

What you are suggesting is that they contribute yet more again. That’s the debate, not whether they contribute at all… the answer likely mostly resides in which side of the fence you would find yourself on.

Associate
So, are you prepared to contribute to your own care or not?

We all ready do.
A friend of mine, his wife was incredibly ill and had to go into a care home, he was paying over £1000 per week to allow his ill wife to have some sort of dignity in her later stages of life as he too was too old to look after her. Many of the other people within the care home didn't have an income so the local council paid for their care. I might add that the council got a substantial decrease in the cost per person they had at the care home, something like £600 per week off. How can that be right !!.

As a society I agree we need to do more, but as long as you have private companies who provide care with paying those people who do the caring to the most vulnerable on a pittance of a wage it wont stop.
I pay my taxes, I pay everything that I need to pay, I'm trying to provide for myself, wife and children and leave something to them when I leave. Ill be absolutely damned to see my hard work and struggle at times being sold off or took away from my children inheritance for me to be in a care home. Ill put it all in a trust or something in order for that not to happen.

Soldato
Everyone that pays tax already contributes to their own care
No they don't.

They pay for the care of people currently being cared for.

The idea that the enormous Boomer generation, the largest voting block in history it seems relevant to mention, who had barely anyone old to pay for during their working lives, who had the greatest social mobility the country has seen, who swallowed up the housing market to deny it to those following.... To now have that vampiric generation looking to once more leech the blood of the young to maintain their advantages.... It's shocking.

**** this government, and the opposition who have now equally abandoned the young.

Soldato
The idea that the enormous Boomer generation, the largest voting block in history it seems relevant to mention, who had barely anyone old to pay for during their working lives, who had the greatest social mobility the country has seen, who swallowed up the housing market to deny it to those following.... To now have that vampiric generation looking to once more leech the blood of the young to maintain their advantages.... It's shocking.

Spot on.

It isnt all of them though. There are lots of poor boomers too. Its a subset of them who seem to have had a continually improving situation over decades. As long as youre on at least one rung of the ladder, youre sort of pulled up with it. If youre not on the ladder yet, youre screwed.

Last edited:
Soldato
No they don't.

**** this government, and the opposition who have now equally abandoned the young.

Surely boomers deserve some reward for voting for Brexit?

Soldato
No they don't.

Here we have now arrived at the truth.

Bang on.

Soldato
To those suggesting that they can hide their wealth to prevent it being used for care costs you might be surprised at how much power councils have to get payment out of your assets. Stories of money that has been gifted to children being investigated and payed back as well.

Really social care should be funded in the same way as the NHS, most people need help at some point and the capacity of the system needs to expand for our ageing population. We also need to accept that sometimes even though we can keep old people alive it's not always the best thing, having your final years dragged out with a poor quality of life isn't a way that I'd want to go.

Back
Top Bottom