Spamtastic - Who do you get the most junk mail from?

Soldato
The only spam I have is from my bank one of those "you can talk to us if you have an issue" type. Other than that... nothing. Any repeat offenders get blocked and filters are too good these days a far cry from my first ever hotmail account I basically had to abandon due to 99% of emails being spam that was before filters became a thing.

Man of Honour
I'm in exactly the same boat right now. My hotmail account has been getting bombarded with spam the last week with more and more getting through to my inbox. Fingers crossed, it seems to have started to die down since yesterday afternoon. Like you, I have a lot of stuff linked to this address, so deleting and starting again would be a total PITA.

@FBi7 Yesterday I bit the bullet and switched everything including Paypal, Ebay and my Microsoft account over to a new email address and today I have not had a single piece of spam email!! It was actually easier than I thought. You set up a alias in the Hotmail account which now ends in Outlook.com instead of Hotmail.com or Hotmail.co.uk. It literally took seconds for that part. I then registered the email with Paypal and went through the steps to verify it and then made it my primary email so that I could delete the old one. I then went through the same process with Ebay and my Microsoft account and deleted the old email address. I had to update all the game stores such as Humblebundle and indiegala which took just about the rest of the day. Once I had done all the confirmations from every site connected to my old Hotmail address and double checked that I haven't missed any I deleted the old address in Hotmail so that my new one is the only one. Everything seems to be working ok and the only emails I have had have been genuine with no spam at all for the first time for ages.

Soldato
@FBi7 Yesterday I bit the bullet and switched everything including Paypal, Ebay and my Microsoft account over to a new email address and today I have not had a single piece of spam email!! It was actually easier than I thought. You set up a alias in the Hotmail account which now ends in Outlook.com instead of Hotmail.com or Hotmail.co.uk. It literally took seconds for that part. I then registered the email with Paypal and went through the steps to verify it and then made it my primary email so that I could delete the old one. I then went through the same process with Ebay and my Microsoft account and deleted the old email address. I had to update all the game stores such as Humblebundle and indiegala which took just about the rest of the day. Once I had done all the confirmations from every site connected to my old Hotmail address and double checked that I haven't missed any I deleted the old address in Hotmail so that my new one is the only one. Everything seems to be working ok and the only emails I have had have been genuine with no spam at all for the first time for ages.
Why on earth would you delete the old email? Just let it sit there on the off chance you've missed something important or an old friend who only knows that email reaches out.

Man of Honour
It is not my main account, those are paid for accounts and get zero spam. I deleted it because the amount of spam I had to wade through everytime is very frustrating and I had had enough. I don't have contact with any old mates and nothing important apart from Ebay, Paypal and my Microsoft account was tied to it and they have all been swapped over to the alias. Banking and most other shopping sites (apart from games) are on my main accounts.

Associate

Thanks for that - I might just bite the bullet...

Soldato
a POS screenwriter site called The Wrap. got a free trial so signed up, immediately found out they spammed at least two peices of useless sht every day. have tried three times to unsubscribe, still getting spam and the account settings won't let you change your email address.

Associate
My email account is with Gmail and I do not consider spam emails to be an issue.

Gmail is really good at filtering between things that I'd likely be interested in and marketing emails.

BUT I missed out on a massive job opportunity because of the filtering. I applied for a graduate job that was of excellent quality and that I would have been massively more qualified for than my peers, but unfortunately for me a recruitment agency responded on behalf of the company. This went into the junk folder and was unnoticed for about 4 months.

I've learnt my lesson from this and keep on top of the junk folder, unsubscribing from spammy companies.

I learnt my lesson from this

Caporegime
My inbox:

"PLEASE BUY OUR ****. PLEASE. DID YOU LEAVE SOMETHING IN YOUR BASKET? HERE'S A DISCOUNT CODE. PLEASE BUY THIS. WHY NOT BUY THIS? WHAT ABOUT THIS? DID YOU SEARCH FOR THIS? PLEASE REVIEW US. DID YOU LIKE WHAT YOU BOUGHT? HOW WOULD YOU RATE US? PLEASE BUY OUR ****"

Associate
I made the mistake of enquiring about some 'write off your mortgage' nonsense ages ago because it was listed on some legit lawyers website.

Turned out it was some unregistered non financially approved crap that wanted upfront deposits operating form Seychelles.

Now they wont stop emailing me from a bunch of different people.

Associate
I have an email account from 2005 that gets about 100 spam emails a month. Mostly advertising bitcoin. It seems people have used it to sign up to websites too. I don't use that account very often these days though. My most used account almost never receives any spam, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom