• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
Running into some really odd behavior since getting my new 5950X. In Windows, on the latest chipset drivers, the AMD Power Plan is gone.
On Balanced, and High Performance, my CPU never downloads. It's voltage is 1.4 - 1.45, and hits 71-76 Degrees Idle.
Now if I run Cinebench R20, r23, or the Aida64 Stability Stress test, my temps actually DROP, and max at 60 degrees.

Oddly when I power the Power Saver plan in Windows, my voltage drops to 0.9, and my idle temps are 37 degrees.

It's only with Balanced, and High Performance that my voltage is always 1.4 and higher, with idle temps in the 70s.

Even editing, the power plans to have a minimum CPU state of 5 or 0% does nothing.
Only the Power Saver plan actually lets the CPU idle, and drop voltage.
I've got the latest BIOS from December 8th 2020, Latest AMD Chipset drivers, and a Noctua NH-D15s; and yes, I've applied paste as well.
This is also a fresh install of Windows, and did it thrice, just to be sure.

96GFj7E.png

S6J6bQt.png

Same here.

Associate
Got a 5950x delivered today. Quick swap out, bios reset and enabling xmp on memory and so far so good. Been using for general desktop stuff for an hour or so and the reading from hwinfo are as follows :-

Pic

Using a custom water loop with a radeon Vii. Got another rad to plumb in when I have time to drain the system properly. :)

Edit: Can't seem to get embedded pics to work for some reason. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I've finally managed to finish my 5950X build and get windows installed. I've done nothing other than enabling XMP and am just sitting idle on the desktop.

Would any of you kind gents would run an eye over my initial HWINFO64 figures and let me know if there is anything that might need attention before I go any further? I'm completely new to AMD processors and not sure what I need to be keeping an eye out for.

HWINFO64-Desktop.jpg

HWINFO64-Desktop.jpg
qtfVvC85

Soldato
I was going to buy the 5800X @ £389 but since OCUK have reduced the price of the 5900X to £499 it's a no brainer 4 extra cores for £110 extra :)

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Depending what RAM you have you could always run Ryzen DRAM Calculator to give you some tighter timings.

Then it’s just a case of entering the details into the BIOS.

Soldato
Got a 5900x coming tomorrow and going to pair with an msi tomahawk board.

I'm planning on getting 32gb corsair dominator platinum 3600 mem mostly because I love the look. Any point going over 3600?

Back
Top Bottom