• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Scapling big

Soldato
A lot of retailers have had exploits where people could get stock before it went live or where it was bought up by bots immediately when it did. Hell, I could have gotten a PS5 quite easily at RRP just through a link being posted on Discord for a certain catalogue shop that allowed access to stock not yet live on their site, but I didn't really want one.

Soldato
I'd take advantage of the idiots that are willing to pay over the odds as well if I could be bothered doing it.

100% the only people to blame are the people buying them from the scalpers.

Associate
I'd take advantage of the idiots that are willing to pay over the odds as well if I could be bothered doing it.

100% the only people to blame are the people buying them from the scalpers.
******** attitude, if the only option is nothing or overpay cause some **** bought them all thats hardly a fair choice

Soldato
You don't HAVE to buy gfx cards and games consoles. You will survive without both... There's no point being butthurt about it. If people were doing it with air, water, food, housing... get angry. There are bigger problems in the world, get some perspective.

Soldato
******** attitude, if the only option is nothing or overpay cause some **** bought them all thats hardly a fair choice
It's a graphics card, not like it's scalping water.
Since when is anything on life fair, an item is worth what people are willing to pay. All this scalping had proved is that the retailers next year can add a good 20% on and no one will care. Personally I won't pay over £500 for a graphics card, because that's what I think they're worth, I'll get the best I can get with my money. I won't suddenly attend triple that. If you will, well your the reason this is all happening.

Associate
It's a graphics card, not like it's scalping water.
Since when is anything on life fair, an item is worth what people are willing to pay. All this scalping had proved is that the retailers next year can add a good 20% on and no one will care. Personally I won't pay over £500 for a graphics card, because that's what I think they're worth, I'll get the best I can get with my money. I won't suddenly attend triple that. If you will, well your the reason this is all happening.
yes please jump to conclusions about what i would do

Permabanned
OP
A lot of retailers don't like it actually - retailers make a lot from addons, finance and product insurance, etc. they'd rather have 20 customers they can try and sell additional services to than one customer who almost certainly won't buy any of that. I suspect, though don't really know, it probably makes a mess with things like returns, etc. as well though not something I know much about.
Most store managers are not as smart as you. They just look at the end of the month sales.
I'd definitely feel stupid paying 2-3x more for a product, but I guess some people can't wait or have too much money.

I thought these people paying scalped prices are addicted to the items, and are being held ransome to their addiction.

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't HAVE to buy gfx cards and games consoles. You will survive without both... There's no point being butthurt about it. If people were doing it with air, water, food, housing... get angry. There are bigger problems in the world, get some perspective.
Ah, there it is. The "wow there are literally heckin' bad things happening in the world and you're worried about graphics cards" post. Can't have a thread like this without it, or the average IQ would be too high.

Associate
Retailers really don't give a crap. They only exist to make a profit, and as long as anyone will buy what they're selling, they'll keep making money, so why would they care who buys it?

Associate
If the PS5s all end up in somebody's storage, because nobody is paying the scalping price, then Sony will suffer. Playstation make most of their money from game sales whilst keeping their consoles cheap to flood the console market. It is similar to what Facebook is doing with their data mining goggles, except Facebook's primary income is selling user data to advertisers. These devices need to be used properly as a service to make up for lower profits on the hardware.

The only way Nvidia will suffer is when the PC gaming industry is dead and cryptocurrencies crash, but even then they'll just fall back to AI supercomputing, or whatever it is they do.

Soldato
I bet its employees in shops who hides consoles at back of shop and tells customers they all sold out but actually buys them themselves and then scalps on ebay.
Guaranteed.

Caporegime
If the PS5s all end up in somebody's storage, because nobody is paying the scalping price, then Sony will suffer. Playstation make most of their money from game sales whilst keeping their consoles cheap to flood the console market. It is similar to what Facebook is doing with their data mining goggles, except Facebook's primary income is selling user data to advertisers. These devices need to be used properly as a service to make up for lower profits on the hardware.

The only way Nvidia will suffer is when the PC gaming industry is dead and cryptocurrencies crash, but even then they'll just fall back to AI supercomputing, or whatever it is they do.
People are paying the scalpers prices. People bought PS5s at £1000+ and 6800XTs/3080s at £900+ (etc, etc). In fact they are still doing so, months after release.

This is what worries me the most.

Next gen of GPUs and consoles and, well everything, will have pre-scalped prices for your convenience.

Man of Honour
I bet its employees in shops who hides consoles at back of shop and tells customers they all sold out but actually buys them themselves and then scalps on ebay.
Guaranteed.

Some companies were only listing stock at 3am to avoid that, they still had to be booked in but then an employee couldn't immediately move them out of active stock/buy themselves they would have to try and order through the web site like everyone else.

I don't know the ins and outs of it but I know in some cases though stock of PS5s has come into the UK and then just sat in a warehouse for 5-6 weeks before being released to retailers! not quite sure what is going on there. (I can't remember numbers but they come in boxes of 3 on the pallets - I think it was something like 48x27 or 48x54 units just sitting there).

I spoke to some guys who work at Curry's the other day, they had first dibs on stock and 20% staff discount... And loads of 'family members' who want one.

Hah there are some Whatsapp conversations I wish I could share. But I don't want to get any friends fired.

Most store managers are not as smart as you. They just look at the end of the month sales.

From talking to some of my friends store managers will have various targets like product care, etc. which they won't hit just shifting units to scalpers.

Associate
Unpopular opinion - While PS5s and graphics cards have been harder to get, they have not been impossible. Anyone who has really wanted one and still doesn't have one could not have been trying that hard.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Unpopular opinion - While PS5s and graphics cards have been harder to get, they have not been impossible. Anyone who has really wanted one and still doesn't have one could not have been trying that hard.

By not trying hard enough, do you mean not having the reflexes of a bot, not being available and having phone in hand for one of the six 3080FE drops, or simply not having deep enough pockets or the inclination to pay well over RRP?

Back
Top Bottom