Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Associate
OP
Yeah 64GB version for me as well. Will shuffle the other ATV’s in the house around and the new one will go in the living room.

Also showing 27th May delivery.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I can't justify the cost to replace the 3x ATVs that I have at the moment, plus I've never really had a problem with the magic remote.

Would I buy an Apple TV again? Possibly, although most smart TVs now let you AirPlay and install apps like Plex, ATV+ and Netflix etc). The only thing keeping me locked in is that they're basically controller units for home automation, otherwise I don't think it would be an insta-purchase.

Associate
OP
I can't justify the cost to replace the 3x ATVs that I have at the moment, plus I've never really had a problem with the magic remote.

Would I buy an Apple TV again? Possibly, although most smart TVs now let you AirPlay and install apps like Plex, ATV+ and Netflix etc). The only thing keeping me locked in is that they're basically controller units for home automation, otherwise I don't think it would be an insta-purchase.

Yeah this is the last one for us now for the foreseeable.

If the new remote goes down well however….

Soldato

Airplay just never works well for me on anything but a proper Apple TV.

Soldato

I know what you mean but there are definitely a few things I really love about Apple TV.

- Very fast and pretty UI. Much quicker than the Android interface on my Sony TVs or the Samsung system.
- Infuse for playback of raw UHD disc rips.
- Consistent behaviour and apps.
- Rock solid airplay.
- Apple movies, my preferred place to purchase as you get the upgrades free when available.

I already have the 1st gen 4Ks so this time I’ve just bought the new remote. It’s really the only thing I do t like about Apple TV.

Commissario
Mine is used largely for Plex. The Plex app on the TV is dreadful, it’s a pain to navigate and can’t manage decent bit rate media without stuttering and buffering.
My daughter has my original AppleTV4 which also struggles with some very high bit rate HEVC media. The new one will go on the main telly and she’ll get the 4K that the new one is replacing. The original AppleTV4 just isn’t powerful enough these days.

Man of Honour
Mine is used largely for Plex. The Plex app on the TV is dreadful, it’s a pain to navigate and can’t manage decent bit rate media without stuttering and buffering.
My daughter has my original AppleTV4 which also struggles with some very high bit rate HEVC media. The new one will go on the main telly and she’ll get the 4K that the new one is replacing. The original AppleTV4 just isn’t powerful enough these days.
Odd, I use Plex and it plays 70+ GB 4K content without issue.

Commissario
Odd, I use Plex and it plays 70+ GB 4K content without issue.
My AppleTV4 (not 4K) simply couldn't handle it. I spent a lot of time between Plex and Synology support and it was the AppleTV4 which was the limiting factor, especially when the source was HEVC. Dropped frames, stuttering, just no good at all.

Once I changed it for the AppleTV4 4K, all was good, huge bitrate 4K in HEVC plays perfectly fine, no stuttering, no dropped frames, just smooth as silk.

Associate
I just tried the Google Chromecast with Google TV - back it goes. Issues with setup and had to do it manually 3 times, loading of assets takes far too long (homepage would quite often take up to 20 seconds to load), Disney app does not support Dolby Vision, other apps have mixed support for HDR content, Atmos also a mixed bag. Remote is good.

If you have an Atv4k no point in looking for a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom