USB Portable HDD for 4K movies advice please

Associate
Good morning.

Im looking at adding a standalone HDD drive for mainly movies and 4K content quiet happy with 1080p for last few years but would like to look at 4K options, i download a lot of content but always go for 1080p.

I usually run plex from my desktop or HDMI from PC to Amp since upgrading to a 3060 seem to be getting some flicker issues, happy enough to Run it and buy a HDD unit.

Can anybody recommend anything? or any potential issues or problems i might encounter?

Just basically want to download via desktop , plug in and transfer movies to HDD and plug in my amp/tv and play.

My cloud maybe?

Thanks for reading hope somebody can help and have a great bank holiday weekend.

Adam.

Associate
OP
Any specific requirements?

Any Portable or external HDD will do that job of 4k movie drive.

Thanks for the response, not specific requirements just want smooth playback basicly some of the movies im looking at are touching 100gb so just dont want any issues.

Would a drive with a standalone power port offer any better performance?

Soldato
Just remember even a bit rate of 100Mbps (most uhd Blurays are 90 tops) is still only 12.5MB/s. Portable USB3 HDDs will deliver 50MB/s at the minimum.

Both portable and powered HDDs will be just fine. I usually use a USB Flash drive. Mass storage on HDDs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom